Intel Xeon 2.3 Quad core in a gaming machine - Good idea or bad idea??

sporadic_kit

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
Hi, I have managed to lay my hands on an Intel quad-core Xeon (E5410) 2.3 GHZ CPU and am considering using it to build a new machine with. I would like to build a machine with good performance for gaming.

Is this a good idea or a bad idea?

The Xeon series of CPU's are intended for Servers and not general desktop machines so i was wondering if anyone has tried this with good results? Will mainstream games and apps run without error on this CPU?

Also, can anyone recommend a Mobo for this CPU for gaming?

Cheers guys

Most Xeons are not fully supported by the desktop chipsets so you would have to buy a server board which will not OC well and has to use the more expensive and slower FB-DIMMs.

I suggest a Q6600 since it will be cheaper and better for gaming. So a P5K-E WiFi/AP(P35) which is great for basic OC'ing and very stable is $140, Q6600 is $270 and the ram PC-6400(DDR2-800) is about $100 for 2GB of nice OC'ing RAM. Total is $510. Compare that but the performance difference will make the Xeons price seem much higher than that of the Core2Quad.

Just get a Q6600, 8800GT or HD3870 and some nice ram/mobo and game on.

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007

i see you are a guilty until proven innocent type then?

caballerosuave

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Zenmaster,

I joined this forum, for the purpose of telling you how much of a butt hole you are. The person asked you a legitimate question, and you have the audacity to attack someone's character that you don't even know. I would "ask", that you take that sad attitude of yours and do some changing for the better. For the person that asked the initial question, I wish I could ask forgiveness on behalf of this individual, however, I can't find it within me to pony up for such ignorance.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
As others have mentioned, the RAM needed along with the motherboard would not make your Xeon an ideal gaming build CPU.

Hahaha...thanks, BadTrip. I didn't even notice the date. LOL.

Who keeps digging up these old threads?

aliomattux

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
I would go with it because it has SSE4 technology and a Level 3 cache. As far as I know none of the other intel cpus has the level 3 cache

al_cortez

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008
These are two different processors. Xeon is best for server type machine while core 2 quad is for desktop computing. I tried xeon for gaming and I could say it's not bad at all. But if you compare it with C2Q, things will be different. C2Q is better for gaming. Another downside of building a xeon machine is it's expensive compared to C2Q machine. I hope this will clarify things for you.

Matt Shoe

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013

I suspect you're a moron.
Hence I don't value anything you say.
I ask others to do the same.