Windows XP Unable to Boot, Stuck

chizzao

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
For a while now, my parents' computer has been unable to boot Windows XP. This computer is almost two years old; however, I will try to be as specific as possible describing the situation and the computer specifications. To begin, whenever I boot the system, I come up with the following message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

I've already done some research regarding this issue, and almost every source I find says to boot the Windows XP CD and to copy and delete registry files. However, every time I try to boot the CD, the same error message occurs. I've already tried to change the boot order so the CD-ROM drive would be first. I have also selected the CD-ROM drive to be the boot device, but the message always pops up. Now I am stuck and I have no idea how to tackle this issue. Does anyone have any ideas?

By the way, the computer is a Toshiba Satellite laptop running Windows XP

Thanks

This error occurs most often when the boot sector no longer points to the Windows installation. It is easy to fix.

In your computer BIOS, make the CD drive the first boot device, you apparently have already done that.

When booting the computer, you
must press any key when instructed to do so, or the boot will pass to the next boot device, your hard drive, and you will continue to get the error message.

Remember this and click the link below. It will walk you through the entire process. You apparently have a second computer or you wouldn't be here. Do what the pages tell you to do and your computer will be fixed in no time.

http://tech.icrontic.com/articles/repair_windows_xp/

Something else you may want to check, if your BIOS has a hard drive test utility, run that. I have ran into many instances were an XP file error was due to a bad hard drive. If you don't have a BIOS drive test, the manufacturer sometimes offers a CD diagnostic disk you can download and run that to check the drive.

If you re-install Windows on the same drive, or fix it using the above method, you have a higher risk of losing data if there are drive issues, even if Windows is running again.

chizzao

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
I finally got the chance to work on restoring this computer and I got it to work. Thanks for all your help. Apparently with Toshiba laptops, there is no key to press to boot from the CD-ROM. Instead, you have to hold down the C button while it is starting up. Anyways, thank you very much, the input from both of you was very helpful