What's the point of a 1600W PSU?

starcraftfanatic

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Well, there are two problems with that. One, there's only one MoBo connector, and two, how in the world could you fit 4 motherboards and the heatsinks for a processor in a case?
Edit: that's one scary article. 750W PSU's dieing after being loaded more than 50%?

sailer

Splendid
A person using a PSU that large may also think on having a special circuit added to their breaker box, giving one dedicated line for the computer. Otherwise, I could see it burning out fuses or tripping the breaker constantly.

sailer

Splendid

Very close to that, possibly a bit more at the box if resistance for line distance is included. That's why the dedicated circuit. Wouldn't want to share the available power with anything else, like printers, other applicances. Might even want to have a 20 amp circuit wired in just for a bit of leeway.

FrozenGpu

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007

Its so you can run 4 pc's inside one pc, and run starcraft on all of them on ultra uber super-duper extreme high settings, and hit the 18,XXX something unit limit on each game your playing, meanwhile playing 4 games of SC at once, its the future of gaming!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
He he he massive.

Hard OCP has a great review on this PSU, it's solid and made by a quality oem.
Just.......overkill.

Rattus Viola: Sino non they quisnam operor non have scientia futurus vestri rector.

sailer

Splendid

I won't call that a "cute" car by any means. Image being between two semi-trailer trucks while driving one of those and the one ahead of you hits the brakes hard.

Second, notice how the car is parked on the sidewalk? Reminds me of Italy. They parked on the sidewalk, sometimes drove on the sidewalk, and yelled at people who were walking on the sidewalk.

FrozenGpu

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007

yeah i know what you mean, 10 years, they just had to appease those WoW homo's? I mean RTS has always been > RPG IMMHOF, I mean they came out with warcraft3, then expansions, then WoW, wtf mate, then the fps Ghost, which would have been fien if they actually released the stupid thing to pc...where's Starcraft 2???

those b*st**ds! :lol:

G

I think we sometimes overlook the risks associated with high power electricity.

A long time ago I watched a documentary on TV about people (children) who had developed Leukemia and didn't know why.

They concluded that those people had been sleeping for years (often since childhood) just a few inches away from electricity generators or transformers that were in or behind the wall near their beds.

I remember this documentary every time I consider more powerful PSU's or every time I unexpectedly brush my leg against my computer under my desk.

Is it a coincidence that I have an area on my right leg that doesn't have any hair - just near my PC?

Electricity is cool and all - but it is so easy to overlook the potential negatives that truly do exist.

$0.02

StevieD

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
1600 Watts?

Please correct me if I am wrong, but that thing will be pulling 14-15 amps at 120v.

Oh yea baby. Common household circuit breakers are 20 amps. Go ahead and plug that baby into your regular household outlet, add a monitor and a basic accessory and see what happens.

Can you say Black Smoke?

Hells Bells, even my business office circuits are just 20 amps. Bumping up the circuit breaker is not an option as I would also have to rewire the building with heavier gauge wire to meet electrical codes. Maybe I could just have one circuit rewired..... dear electrician I need you to pull 10 gauge wire about 400 ft so I can get this big hunk of a power supply.

Yea. Right.

stephensolofo

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
Well wouldnt it be put under less strain at lower wattage,thus prolonging its life because the caps wouldn't age as fast..Though i cant say that brand would actually make a psu of great quality.

It may be. There is a similar theory for people living under High Tension Wires hovering 100 feet in the air.

sailer

Splendid

That's what I was alluding to about a separate circuit for one of these. And heaven help the poor fool who thinks that since the 20 amp breaker keeps snapping, he'll just put in a 30 amp breaker and solve the problem.

I suppose this PSU might mean some good business for electricians to service those people who insist on buying and using one of these PSUs. Oh yeah, don't tell Al Gore or we'll be hearing about computer gamers causing global warming.

TRENDING THREADS