What do I do with the little scaps of metal on the I/O shield?

davidc

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2008
On my I/O shield that came with my Abit IP35-Pro mobo, there pieces of metal over most of the holes that would block any connection. I was thinking when I put the mobo in, it would somehow resolve itself. Doens't appear so.

Do I just break all these little pieces off so there can actually be connections?

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Yup, break any metal off that cover the connections. The I/O shield is common to many mobos and some don't have all of the connections, so they are covered.

rallyimprezive

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007

ok.

Come on David C. Dont be afraid to try stuff!!! This is not the kind of thing you should second guess yourself on.

To be blunt, if you are worried about pulling the blanks out, then you may not be ready to enter the enthusiast world.

Perhaps I am reading into things a bit much, but seriously, no need to be so timid. :D

teh_boxzor

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
^ true,but sometimes people need to just use common sense.

Guy: "Gee, i wonder what to do with this metal covering my ports, must be a defect, i guess i'll go RMA it."

ok maybe not to that extent, but come on. its not exactly quantum physics.

davidc

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2008
Qantum physics I understand. Covering ports in a metal plate that's sole purpose is to create those very ports, didn't make much sense.