Water cooling question from a possibly new comer.

mark $

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
Well I'm curious how much a decent kit would run me. I'm new, and don't need top of the line cooling. Ambient temp isn't a problem where I live. How much more of a temp decrease could I expect when I switch to liquid cooling? Finally, would it be in my best interest to switch to a Q9550 instead of a Q6600 and get water cooling for an even higher OC?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I would say that a good beginner setup will run you at minimum $200, more than likely for CPU only. If you start out with decent gear like a strong pump, 2x120mm (minimum) radiator and decent fans, you can easily add a GPU block and do fine. I am cooling my Q6600 and it has been running like a champ, but your choice of hardware is up to you. I personally don't know the limits of the Q9xxx series, but I do alright with the Q6600's (as well as many, many others on THG forums are with the Q6600...I'm sure there is a strong Q9xxx following as well).

What is your intended budget? What kind of OC are you looking for...mild or high? What are your expectations, reservations or fears?

There are several regulars around that are very knowledgeable and can suggest some great ideas...my suggestion is to stay away from Thermaltake, Koolance (in most cases) or any of those 'bay drive' water kits (less than 400 Liters/hr; the Swiftech MCP355 is an exception at ~400 L/hr). Check out www.frozencpu.com for Swiftech or Enheim pumps, Danger Den or Swiftech blocks, and various other liquid supplies. They have some starter kits, but you can just as easily piece a kit together. I know Newegg sells a Swiftech kit:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835108076
that is a great starter kit. You could easily add a GPU block to this and maybe even a northbridge block if you didn't get too insane with your overclocking.

Temp decrease? I would say you should expect to run temps at load what you might see at idle with air cooling..depending on current cooler and chosen water system. As for GPU...expect to see about 1/2 temps at load (80C -> 40/45C)

mark $

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
Wow, well that is a very large decrease in temp if it's true. I may have to check it out then. I would like to OC the Q6600 somewhere near 2.8-3.2 ghz on air, I know this isn't a big OC. I've just known a couple of my friend that have killed their system by OCing it too much. Was going to get the Q9550 as it would certainly be a lot safer OC at 3.6ghz than the Q6600 at 3.2ghz. But if you think a Q6600 with water cooling would be a better idea bang/buck than I wouldn't mind ordering the cpu with stock HSF and OCing on my next paycheck and getting a liquid rig going.

I was going to get the Q6600 and a Xigmatek S1283 since everyone seems to think it's amazing for an air cpu cooler. Then I was thinking of just spending the extra $ and getting the Q9550 at 2.8 stock and ocing it to a "probably very easy" 3.6ghz with that same cpu cooler.

BTW this was going to go in an Antec Twelve Hundred case, but I heard it wasn't too good for water cooling. Which case would you recommend, with a side panel preferably.

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
If you going to keep your over clock to 3.2 or below on a GO stepping q6600, there's no reason to go with water unless you like the way it looks.

Two things kill electronics, excessive amounts of voltage, and running the electronic part hotter than it was designed to run. Spilling your beer on it may hurt it as well, just be careful.

You can pick up a 30 to 70 dollar air cooler that will keep you processor plenty cool based on that 3.2ghz goal you have.

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Try to look at www.aquacomputer.de , they have some of best watercooling pieces i know about. I dont have watercooling yet, but its comming before christmass and i think i will make it from their components.
Aquastream XT pump is little more silent to compare to eheim but still able pull 600l with just 4-8w on dc 12V. They also make controler whitch can shutdown your PC if some problem on water cooling system ocures. And pure copper waterblocks :)

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer

I agree...but it really is a matter of consumer choice.

I am glad that someone FINALLY understands what destroys PC components...and it typically isn't water even in a water loop...it is heat and voltage. If you are using plain water without non-conductive additive, then yes, you could run into shorting issues...but only if you half-ass your loop setup (and don't read directions).

A good air cooler can do quite well if you want to try out OC'ing for starters...once you get comfortable and begin to see what you want to do or your expectations change, watercooling is a good next step (expensive, but viable).

Edit: If you have a Q6600, you can get some pretty good performance out of it, depending on VID and temperatures. Also rememeber that your northbridge begins to become a factor the higher you push your FSB and voltages and needs to be adequately cooled as well.

mark $

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
Alright, thanks for letting me know. I'm thinking about going to the Q9550 instead. Do you guys think there will be any price cuts within the near future due to the upcoming release? If so I may just wait till late august/early September. I think I'll stick to air cooling for a couple months and get water cooling when I want to push it further :D