Question about new technology and costs

jfuze

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2008
My ? is just kind of a general one concerning new technology...

When the intel Nehalem processors and new socket motherboards arrive, what are the usual prices for the newest technology like that? Is it in the $1,000's like the top end stuff now, or are versions released that compete in the $300-$400 range? Obviously prices always go down over time, but im just wondering what its like within the first 6-8 months of release.

I'm wondering because i might build a system now, but if the new CPUs are going to be in my price range I might wait.

Hopefully this makes sense to someone... lol

Is it worth waiting for them now? or go ahead with a E8400/E8500 build?

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
Nehalem will be released as a high end part in Q4 this year. Therefore I would expect $1000 'Extreme Edition' style prices at launch. The mainstream Nehalems will come in early 2009.

If you can wait a year for an 'affordable' Nehalem, then by all means. Personally, I don't think it is wise to wait for new tech, since there is always something better around the corner. You could essentially be waiting forever for the next best thing. ;)

The only 'bad' time to build is RIGHT before the introduction of a new platform, and now certainly isn't it. An E8400/E8500 build will serve you well, and can be upgraded to a quad down the line should the need arise.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I would tend to agree with epsilon84 except that the 775 is at the end of it's life cycle so if you can wait for a year to 18 months, prices to come down and bugs to shake out, it makes sense to wait. On the other hand, epsilon84 putting together a new machine now would work for at least 3 years or more, which would be the best to go the new platform, prices will be good, bugs will be worked out, and they'll be more choices.

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006

S775 still has a bit of life left in it, especially if you build a DC now and pop in a QC down the track. We are still around 12 months from the mainstream Nehalems, and 12 months is a long time to wait for a new PC. ;)

TRENDING THREADS