Network question. can't see my local computer

I am trying to set network three machines under XP-Pro. I have established a
workgroup called HOME. Logged in as Admin, I have shared the folder My
Documents.

I have two questions at this point, concerning just one machine, the one I
am using now:

1) in My Network Places, when I drill down to workgroup HOME, it is
completely blank. Not even the my documents folder for this computer shows
up. I do not understand why. In other words, why doesn't the shared folder
show up?

2) when I look toward the bottom of the folder list in Explorer, I find what
seems to be a second instance of mydocuments, now called mdh's documents. I
can't delete the folder nor understand why it was created. Assuming it has
to be there for some reason relating to networking, Is it automatically
updated when I create a file and save it to mydocuments?

Hope you can understand the above questions. Everything about networking is
a fight and I want to learn how to do this
-michael

--
Xmdhobbs@qwest.net
Remove X's to reply

Click start>run> type " %SystemRoot%\system32\rundll32.exe
hnetwiz.dll,HomeNetWizardRunDll " (without the quotes) press enter and
follow the prompts. Do the same for all 3 pc's.

"Michael Hobbs" <mdhobbs@qwest.net> wrote in message
>I am trying to set network three machines under XP-Pro. I have established
>a workgroup called HOME. Logged in as Admin, I have shared the folder My
>Documents.
>
> I have two questions at this point, concerning just one machine, the one I
> am using now:
>
> 1) in My Network Places, when I drill down to workgroup HOME, it is
> completely blank. Not even the my documents folder for this computer shows
> up. I do not understand why. In other words, why doesn't the shared folder
> show up?
>

> 2) when I look toward the bottom of the folder list in Explorer, I find
> what seems to be a second instance of mydocuments, now called mdh's
> documents. I can't delete the folder nor understand why it was created.
> Assuming it has to be there for some reason relating to networking, Is it
> automatically updated when I create a file and save it to mydocuments?
>
> Hope you can understand the above questions. Everything about networking
> is a fight and I want to learn how to do this
> -michael
>

> --
> Xmdhobbs@qwest.net
> Remove X's to reply
> Michael Hobbs
> Minneapolis, Minnesota

Hi Michael,

"mhd documents" is simply a mirror of the "My Documents" folder and, as it
is a system folder, cannot be deleted.

As to the network, on the machine with the shared folder is SP2 installed or
if prior to SP2 is the firewall disabled?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone