Initial Partitioning of a HD for a New Build

althius

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Forgive the X-post, but I would really like an answer to this question since I should be putting the compy together tonight.

I am getting ready to set up a new drive tonight. Yes, I only have 1. Please refrain from telling how dumb I am, but my budget was busted and I could only get one. Maybe in the near future, I'll get another and do it 'right' but as of now... I have one 250GB drive. So....

I was planning on following the scheme as laid out here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/244654-32-hard-drive-size-limitation#t1737771

I am confused on one thing... how exactly do I partition the HD before I install the OS? Does partition magic work in DOS? I'm sure I'm just looking at it wrong... but when do you partition the drive with Vista?

Thanks in advance!

smokegfx

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
you can partition during your vista install, if your hdd is brand new the install will prompt you with options.

or you can partition after you install vista with a program like partition magic.

althius

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Are there benefits to either? Why/How does JackNaylor in that link partition the HD before he installs the OS? Why would you do that?

smokegfx

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
partitioning during the vista install is faster because you wont need any additional software.
the benefit to using partition magic is that you dont lose any data on the hdd when you partition.
if you use the vista install method all data on the hdd will be lost as far as i know, but since it is a completely new drive that shouldnt be a problem.

i didnt read the link i just read your question. so i have no idea what the other guy did.

what i would do is make one partition about 50GB in size for vista ONLY, and documents/games/apps on the other partition.

Once you download the diskette or CD and burn it, boot the computer with that CD or diskette and follow the directions. You may not be able to use your mouse in the process.
Some hard drive manufacturers prefer that you use their tools to partition and format, rather than windows tools.