Loser777

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
I'm kinda stumped right now as to my new build for CPU choice.
My new build is gonna be sometime summer '08, though I'm having trouble deciding.
B3 Phenoms will be out by then, and as a loyal AMD fanboy, that's what I'm looking at right now.
However, I'm looking to future-proofing my rig at least somewhat, and with Bulldozer in 2009, and Nehalem rearing its ugly ass sometime late this year, I'm kinda having doubts.
I would definitely go with the Phenom if Bulldozer is going to be supported on that platform, but with DDR3 and a completely new CPU design, I'm seriously doubting it.
Keep in mind my AM2 4200+ system has some serious mobo issues, only 1GB RAM, and a 7600GT.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
If you're looking for a fresh build, and prefer AMD, you can get a AM2+ mobo along with a 5000+ BE. Although both B3 revisions of Phenom and 45nm variants don't look too promising, it may still represent an upgrade over the 5000+ BE.

On the other hand, I'm sure Bulldozer (Swift) will also support DDR2. One thing to keep in mind though, AMD might pulled another "939" on AM2/AM2+ users: sudden drop of products and support.

Going Intel will also require you to purchase everything new, starting from CPU, to mobo, to RAM. So at this point, I see no reason going Intel if you already have a solid AMD infrastructure.

I would recommend you getting a decent (but not expensive) AM2+ board, and upgrade your video card and RAM. If you have spare change, drop in the 5000+ BE, and wait for the 45nm variant of Phenom. If the Phenom turned out to be a disappointment, at least you didn't drop the big bucks upgrading an AMD system, and have no money in getting a Nehalem system.

Just my 2cents.

Loser777

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
That's the problem, I'm getting everything new.
However, I don't think Nehalem is going to be LGA775, because of onboard memcontroller, and doing away of FSB.

Loser777

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
That's seems pretty impressive, but with Bulldozer also on the way. :/
I'm going to be going with the Phenoms as a friend jogged my memory and reminded me as AM3 is compatible with AM2.