new build ran fine for 2 days now wont even post

mweidler

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
maximus formula
q6600
2x2 gskill but have also used 1gb sticks
vista 64

My build was stable,ran prime for 24 hours. I had my ram set at 2.1 but it will run at 2.0. so i dropped it down and changed the freq to 533 so its 1/1 for when I overclock.
ran prime 95 for 6 hours stable temps no greater than 44c. then it crashed.
got PFN_list_corrupted. vista wouldnt start but it would post fine.
so this morning I figured I would put it back to 2.1 vdimm in bios.
changed it to that rebooted,posted fine. went to do a new vista install. because it seems when ive had a mem error it corrupted vista.
got to the part where it was copying files and then got a BSOD that said Memory management error.
from this poin forward I get a cpu init on the lcdposter. cant get past that. also all of the led voltage lights now have all three lights on, green, yellow and red,
what do you think can be causing this. any help is appreciated

mweidler

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
I cant get to windows, the memory error corrupted it. and right now I cant post with two different sticks. Im worried about the ledvoltage lights being alllit though. could the power supply be screwed up? Its a pcp&p silencer 750

I've fried my G. Skill PC6400 overvolting before. Everything worked fine, overvolted it and killed it. I had to isolate the bad DIMM and RMA it. Not sure about the PSU being bad.

mweidler

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
Im going to send the gskill back. been nothing but a problem. Im just waiting til 11am NY time when they open at newegg.
I was on the low side of the voltage at 2.0 instead of 2.1.
now with two different kinds of ram I still cant post. I moved the videocard to a different pcie slot. still no good. cant get it to post. get cpu init. which ive never gotten before. I hope the chip didnt fry

That gskill is suppose to run at 2.1, at least the 2 gig sticks I was playing with did. So I doubt you overvolted it.

First off, I'd reset CMOS, there is a button on the exterior of case for this purpose. Then try to boot with one stick. If you can do that then go back into BIOS and set it to 2.1.

If that fails then try another brand of RAM if you can. Maybe the Maximus just doesn't like what you have, though it is working OK on my friend's machine.

Try another PSU. You have a great unit there but it could be a lemon, happens to the best sometimes.

If that fails take the PC apart and rebuild it barebones outside of the case. No drives, just cpu/fan. 1 stick RAM, power, video card, monitor.

Try resetiing CMOS before anything else.

Did you say you have already tried a different type of RAM? Which was it?

If nothing seems to work and you have ruled out the PSU then you may simply have a bad MOBO. After all you have been through that would not be a surprise at this point. Perhaps you should RMA that with the RAM?

mweidler

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
I took the cmos battery out I will put it in in an hour and see if I can get it to post.
It doesnt make sense that windows crashed from a mem management error and then wont post at all

mweidler

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
I tried the ram in my kid's computer. it didnt work with that either.
yeah I know its starting to piss me off lol. I thought I had it working great, til last night. I mean, it ran for two days no problems. prime for 24 hours too. plus memtest on the gskill and the others for 2 hours each.
I may have to bring it to a pc repair place because I dont have the spare parts to diagnose it

That gskill is suppose to run at 2.1, at least the 2 gig sticks I was playing with did. So I doubt you overvolted it.

I still have 5 GB G. Skill PC6400 Micron chips. I overvolted it to 2.3 or so and burned a DIMM. I RMA'd the 2 GB kit and got two new good DIMMs. I don't use this in my main computer anymore, but it's very good RAM. Fried out though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231065

BTW, you have to unplug the PSU and take the battery out when you set the CMOS jumper. The Maximus SE has a CMOS reset switch on the back I/O panel. That's the one I have been using. It's lit green. Press it.

mweidler

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
Imhoping cmos clr and removing the battery wil allow me to post with one stick of ram. Im going to send the ram back and go with crucial. but they only have 1gb dimm's on the asus approved list. at this point I need to go with what they approve of, even though I eventually wanted 6gb poss 8gb ram.

mweidler

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
I had the power connected but machine not running. I pressed the cmos clr button.went dark for a sec, let go of the button. the light on the fx card lit up. I pulled the plug and removed the battery.
did I do it right?