Sign in with
Your question

8800 GT Performance Worse than G80 GTS?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 7, 2008 10:02:27 PM

Hey all,
So I recently purchased a PNY 8800 GT 512MB. The performance, to date, hasn't been very good. I am slide showing in certain areas of Crysis on default high settings, when my old MSI 640MB G80 GTS was fine in those areas. I am only getting a max of 20 fps in Crysis on high, no better than the GTS and I didn't expect much more, but I drop down to much lower rates, 5 fps in highly populated areas, and the stuttering is much worse. I keep getting stuttering in a number of games and have had a number of screen lockups in games that never used to trouble the old GTS, especially Company of Heroes, a game which in benchmarks does much better than the GT. I know that heat is sometimes an issue with these cards so I intentionally set the fan at 75% and I know my temps aren't going much above 60. I made sure to properly uninstall all old drivers and I used Driver Cleaner Pro. I really don't know what to do here. I didn't expect the card to be much better, I mainly upgraded so my brother could have my older card, but I never expected it to be worse. I am thinking about returning it as I bought it from Best Buy. Does anyone know about PNY and maybe if another brand, BFG, might be better? As a last note, I haven't changed any setting in any of these games since updating and I have tried reinstalling the drivers as well.
February 7, 2008 10:05:49 PM

The only thing I can think of aside from defective video card is PSU. Maybe your PSU is dying out, not being able to perform as well as before or something since Ultra PSU aren't very good in terms of quality and performance. I read that the 750W Ultra 2 PSU only does 400W.
February 7, 2008 10:10:56 PM

Thing is this new card pulls less power than the old card I had, and that card had no problems.
Related resources
February 7, 2008 10:12:10 PM

murphy82nd said:
Thing is this new card pulls less power than the old card I had, and that card had no problems.

That's why I said it could be degrading. PSU degrades like 10% every year or so, I believe.
February 7, 2008 10:31:35 PM

So it degraded 10% in one day? Because I am talking about this is the performance I am getting the day of installation of the new card. It worked fine, a couple hours before, with the old card that uses more power. I honestly don't think it's the PSU is my point.
February 7, 2008 10:50:46 PM

Send the card back to PNY.
February 7, 2008 10:58:59 PM

at this point ya got nothing to lose!try and exchange it for a different brand ie. BFG or EVGA.

also would look into getting a more reliable brand psu as ULTRA's psu rep kinda stinks. so in the near future i would look for a new psu!

my 2 rusty pennies!
February 7, 2008 11:13:43 PM

I heard the new 171 drivers are gonna kick perf up in Crysis as much as 40%. Might want to give that a try.
February 7, 2008 11:16:52 PM

RMA the card for a new one. The one you have is probably defective.
February 7, 2008 11:20:09 PM

Yes, please RMA and let us know what happens. I've had my EVGA 8800 GTS 640 SSC for a year now and was thinking about selling it and picking up a GT 512...
February 7, 2008 11:45:27 PM

It sounds like you either have driver problems or a faulty card. Try updating to the latest WHQL drivers from Nvidia (169.25). If that doesn't work you might have to cut your losses and RMA :( 

One more thing, what motherboard are you using? It's a longshot, but you may be having a PCIe issue where it is running on a 1x link instead of 16x. I've heard that some PCIe gen1 mobos exhibit this behavior with PCIe gen2 cards.

Edit: Ah, I see in your sig that you are using a 965P DS3. Good choice :) 
February 8, 2008 12:39:53 AM

I have tried the latest drivers, and tried installing them a number of times. I do understand that my PSU is not great, but I plan to upgrade that at a later time and I don't think it is not the problem right now.

I think I will return the card, though it is a serious pain in the butt. This doesn't seem like the level of performance I have heard for these cards.

My question then is this, should I return it for another PNY, or try another brand like BFG?
February 8, 2008 12:45:06 AM

murphy82nd said:
I have tried the latest drivers, and tried installing them a number of times. I do understand that my PSU is not great, but I plan to upgrade that at a later time and I don't think it is not the problem right now.

I think I will return the card, though it is a serious pain in the butt. This doesn't seem like the level of performance I have heard for these cards.

My question then is this, should I return it for another PNY, or try another brand like BFG?

PNY is fine really, but most people prefer Evga, XFX, BFG in that order (imo).
February 8, 2008 1:38:56 AM

I just swapped my old card back in, replaced the drivers, and restarted. No problems at all in the same spots where the GT is getting maybe 5 fps. Sigh, I am pretty positive it is the card. Thanks for the advice guys.

Evilonigiri, what brand would you choose?
February 8, 2008 1:53:33 AM

Check the PCIe link width with cpuz just to be sure.

As for brand preferences, eVGA has never let me down. Step-Up is just unbelievable.
a b U Graphics card
February 8, 2008 2:10:35 AM

You know, PNY probably makes eVGA and XFX cards :lol: 

Palit makes Xpertvision, gainward and one other that I don't remember.
February 8, 2008 12:39:48 PM

The PCIe link width is x16.
February 8, 2008 3:51:17 PM

randomizer said:
You know, PNY probably makes eVGA and XFX cards :lol: 

Palit makes Xpertvision, gainward and one other that I don't remember.

What about Foxconn?

Anyways the OEM of these cards isn't the important part; it's the warranty, support, and other perks that really matter when choosing a brand. Many brands have good customer service, but eVGA stands out in my opinion with Step-Up. I went from a 320MB 8800 GTS to a 512MB 8800 GT (factory OC'd because they were out of stock cards!) and all I had to pay was shipping ($15) :kaola: 
February 9, 2008 5:59:58 AM

Loser777 said:
I heard the new 171 drivers are gonna kick perf up in Crysis as much as 40%. Might want to give that a try.

SLI and/or single card performance?
February 9, 2008 6:02:36 AM

homerdog said:
One more thing, what motherboard are you using? It's a longshot, but you may be having a PCIe issue where it is running on a 1x link instead of 16x. I've heard that some PCIe gen1 mobos exhibit this behavior with PCIe gen2 cards.

This is true, I have also heard that some mobo's don't play well with the new PCI-E 2.0 graphics cards.
February 9, 2008 6:32:10 AM

murphy82nd said:
Hey all,
So I recently purchased a PNY 8800 GT 512MB. The performance, to date, hasn't been very good.

Is this dichotomy just in Crysis? What's the perf in other games?? or a benchy? And what res are you playing at? Maybe the extra 100 meg of memory or so is the issue helping the older card. (unlikely, but just a thought). Must admit, I do agree with the others - probably just a dud card.
Ryan
February 9, 2008 6:47:03 AM

Yeah it definitely sounds like you got a bad card, considering my OC'd 2900Pro get's 30FPS on High @1280x720.
February 9, 2008 7:00:46 AM

This is in other games too, notably Company of Heroes. It's not always a constant bad performance. It is a lot of stuttering with the occasional lockup. Just today I tried Crysis and got 5 fps. I am using Crysis as a comparison because it is a popular game where many people will be familiar with the performance level. Also, I had just started playing a couple of weeks ago. I plan to return the card this weekend and will let you guys know how it goes. Wish me luck, and I hope it isn't something about my comp and PCI-E 2.0.
February 9, 2008 7:25:50 AM

Yeah, get it sent back asap.

Be safe.
Ryan.

p.s - if your older card works fine, it's 99% likely to be an issue with the new card/new drivers.
February 9, 2008 7:27:10 AM

Update:

Hey guys,
I have to buy the next card from Best Buy because the only reason I bought it in the first place was because of the Best Buy money I had, over $115 of it from Xmas and Bday. Now I see on BestBuy.com that they have the BFG 8800 GTS 512MB for $320 with free shipping. I know it's not as cheap as NewEgg, but still it's not a bad price.

Does anyone think it'd be worth it to spring for the GTS over the GT if I have to return the card anyway?
February 9, 2008 7:53:01 AM

Depending on the resolution and your case's cooling it might be a better choice. How much did the 8800GT cost from Bestbuy, because if it was somewhere in the $270 range, then it's a pretty decent idea to get the GTS instead, especially if you are into OCing like I am.

EDIT: I saw your specs in your signature, it'll help on games like Crysis and I'm sure there's going to be more games pushing the limits like Crysis, so I'd say spring for it if it isn't a huge difference in price.
February 9, 2008 8:04:17 AM

I would too!, - if I had the money! )-;
The new GTS is paragonable to the GTX
Ryan
a c 273 U Graphics card
February 9, 2008 3:42:32 PM

Just don't get a PNY one.
February 9, 2008 4:02:09 PM

Hmmm,
Thanks Homerdog for that post. Thing is I don't get a power warning on boot up, so idk if that applies to me. I might try it out in my friend's comp and see how that goes.

Yeah the GT I bought cost me $280 and I am starting to think it might be worth the extra $40 for the GTS. It's also a BFG.
February 9, 2008 5:40:24 PM

Install RivaTuner and check you clocks. The core should be 650MHz *600MHz and the memory 970MHz *900MHz.

When I was having problems with my 8800GT the core was locked at 350MHz and the memory at ~400MHz. It made things quite unplayable.

*Edit: Whoops, I thought you had an 8800GTS.
February 9, 2008 7:03:55 PM

I have been using rivatuner all along. My card ships at 600 and 900, and that is what they are shown at.
a c 273 U Graphics card
February 9, 2008 7:09:06 PM

murphy82nd said:
I have been using rivatuner all along. My card ships at 600 and 900, and that is what they are shown at.

Then what you have there mate, is a bog standard 8800GT. Enjoy!
February 10, 2008 2:28:13 AM

I too have a G80 GTS (320mb) and I don't see a reason for me to upgrade to a new G92 yet. Sure they're faster, but I spent $280 on my G80, and I'm not willing to shell out another $250 for even ~10fps more.

If I were you, I'd wait for 'next-gen' video cards.
a c 273 U Graphics card
February 10, 2008 9:23:57 AM

kingoftherings said:
I too have a G80 GTS (320mb) and I don't see a reason for me to upgrade to a new G92 yet. Sure they're faster, but I spent $280 on my G80, and I'm not willing to shell out another $250 for even ~10fps more.

If I were you, I'd wait for 'next-gen' video cards.

[:mousemonkey:2] But the OP isn't you and hasn't waited, so the point of your post is??
!