DIY Re-Install of Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhoh

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
I'm trying to re-install a "serial number authenticated" copy of Windows Vista onto a new (clean) hard drive.

I don't have the Windows Vista CDs/DVDs but like I had mentioned I have the serial key.

I was wondering if anyone knows where I might be able to get an ISO image of the Windows Vista DVD's?

Also, if someone can refer me to an article/forum/etc. to help me with my DIY project, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance; looking forward to some responses.

Solution

I can think of no way of installing a Windows system without access to the DVD it came on. It's also quite hard to see how you have the Product Key unless you've taken it from the case of the machine it was installed on. If that's the case, use that hard disk to clone the system into the new machine then put the system on the original disk beyond use.

That said, if that original box was an OEM system, it wll not work on your new project. If you're looking for a good, workable Operatin System without paying for it, go down the Linux route. There are scores of free options - my personal favourite is PCLinuxOS from the .com site of the same name.

I can think of no way of installing a Windows system without access to the DVD it came on. It's also quite hard to see how you have the Product Key unless you've taken it from the case of the machine it was installed on. If that's the case, use that hard disk to clone the system into the new machine then put the system on the original disk beyond use.

That said, if that original box was an OEM system, it wll not work on your new project. If you're looking for a good, workable Operatin System without paying for it, go down the Linux route. There are scores of free options - my personal favourite is PCLinuxOS from the .com site of the same name.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.