Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows IE9 installation via win updates error

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
August 25, 2011 11:53:11 AM

Ok so i was trying to install the automatic win7 updates and in the 'important' update was ie9
i clicked on 'install updates' and windows started installing ie9
after a couple of seconds i got this window saying::

"some files that need to be updated are currently being used by these programs. Please save your work, close the programs and then continue. If you can't close, setup can do it for you
HP advisor
HpqToaster Module
Java UpdateScheduler
MICROSOFT SECURITY CLIENT USER INTERFACE
nokia launch application
quick launch buttons
windows desktop gadgets
windows explorer"

thats the list of programs that need to be closed.
Obvious, i cancelled.
My question:: whats going on? Why do i need to close almost everything for installing a browser?
a b $ Windows 7
August 25, 2011 12:14:28 PM

IE 9 is kak, stay with ie8, firefox, chrome etc etc
m
l

Best solution

a c 229 $ Windows 7
August 25, 2011 12:16:44 PM

I don't think it's an issue. Most programs recommend that you shut down all programs before installing, especially virus scanners, as they may interfere with the installation. Most people just ignore it and install anyhow. The IE installer on the other hand will close these programs for you.
Related resources
August 25, 2011 12:43:10 PM

@hawkeye22
thank you so much for your answer. I thought it was some malware or something.
But i still have a question related to it:
WHY IS IT ASKING TO CLOSE WINDOWS EXPLORER???
m
l
a c 229 $ Windows 7
August 25, 2011 12:53:37 PM

I think it may add some shell commands to the context memu. This normally requires a shutdown of explorer and perhaps a reboot of the OS.
m
l
August 25, 2011 12:57:01 PM

Thank you for the reply :) 
and asking to close WINDOWS EXPLORER is also ok? Or do i go for the other option provided that is to let it install and restart??
m
l
August 25, 2011 12:57:24 PM

and asking to close WINDOWS EXPLORER is also ok? Or do i go for the other option provided that is to let it install and restart??
m
l
August 25, 2011 12:58:02 PM

m
l
August 25, 2011 1:00:03 PM

Best answer selected by fasihxkhatib.
m
l
a c 229 $ Windows 7
August 25, 2011 2:34:45 PM

Seems like you had a posting issue, LoL!

Yeah, just let the installer do it's thing. It will be fine. If you decide later that you don't like it, go to the control panel and uninstall IE9. It will revert to your previous version.
m
l
!