• Overclocking
  • EVGA
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 8, 2008 1:59:38 AM

I was just wondering...and what is the best overclocking tool to use

More about : overclocking evga 8800gt void warranty

February 8, 2008 2:45:18 AM

Riva Tuner for oc'ing your graphics card.
February 8, 2008 2:54:02 AM

Nop it is covered.
Related resources
a c 148 U Graphics card
February 8, 2008 11:00:09 AM

Riva Tuner is the program of choice. Many companies have embraced the fact that highend card get overclocked. My XFX says it is "modder Friendly". Unless you physically alter the card I believe you are ok, ie. not volt mod connection, or aftermarket cooler.

Besides the g92 cards don't scale all that great to extreme OC's aren't very beneficial. FYI
February 8, 2008 11:55:28 AM

Actually asked an eVGA customer service rep. As long as you don't physically alter the card, you are OK. Also, flashing the card to make any changes perm voids it.
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2008 12:01:25 PM

Actually you can use an after market cooler/water cooler etc whatever really. As long as the card is reverted to its original form ie you put it all back to how it was when you got it and you havent physically hurt it when installing your new cooler its all fine.
mactronix
February 8, 2008 12:17:55 PM

Not worth OCing. It gave me an extra 600 3dmarks and maybe 1-2fps. You're better off with a stable card.
a c 148 U Graphics card
February 8, 2008 1:36:20 PM

deuce271 said:
Not worth OCing. It gave me an extra 600 3dmarks and maybe 1-2fps. You're better off with a stable card.

I also gained 600 points in 3dMark06 on a 750/1000 OC. And minimal game FPS. Funny thing is it's stable at that speed and only gets a little hotter. I reverted back to stock since really the gain wasn't worth the potential of failure. I still keep RivaTuner on for the simple fact it has a nice OSD. Does anyone have any other apps that have nice OSD's that would work just as well? I like seeing GPU temp in my system tray and FPS and GPU temp on the OSD.
February 10, 2008 7:24:02 AM

thanks for the info guys...I just bought COD 4 and am very happy with the performance at stock speeds...and the game is just awesome
February 10, 2008 8:02:56 AM

@Jay2Tall Everest is the program you are looking for. Anything you ever wanted to monitor and a lot of things you didn't even know you could monitor are in that program. I personally just use it to display my CPU and GPU temps in my taskbar and to check my voltages/overclocking. It also has a bad ass benchmarking utility and a stress tester.
a c 148 U Graphics card
February 10, 2008 11:48:53 AM

jalpaugh1978 said:
thanks for the info guys...I just bought COD 4 and am very happy with the performance at stock speeds...and the game is just awesome

Dude that game is just awesome period. If anyone says different we must shackle them in the square and thrown produce at them.
a c 148 U Graphics card
February 10, 2008 11:53:50 AM

IndigoMoss said:
@Jay2Tall Everest is the program you are looking for. Anything you ever wanted to monitor and a lot of things you didn't even know you could monitor are in that program. I personally just use it to display my CPU and GPU temps in my taskbar and to check my voltages/overclocking. It also has a bad ass benchmarking utility and a stress tester.

Is it a free app? where can i get it? Does it have a small memory footprint?
February 10, 2008 1:29:33 PM

One thing I learned about these warranties a while back is that there are state and federal laws which prohibit manufactures from saying things like "if you do such and such it automaticallly voids the warranty" unless such and such is actually the case of the failure. For example a manufacturer can't deny a warranty PC repair just because you opened the case.
a c 274 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
February 10, 2008 1:56:40 PM

jay2tall said:
Is it a free app? where can i get it? Does it have a small memory footprint?

The freebie trail version does not show readings in the taskbar icons. The footprint is about 20 mb and it can be found here.
**Edit for omission**
http://www.lavalys.com/
February 10, 2008 3:25:09 PM

jay2tall said:
Dude that game is just awesome period. If anyone says different we must shackle them in the square and thrown produce at them.

It's my first FPS game that I've bought for pc. In the past I've always had consoles.I decided to switch to a pc for two reasons: 1 I needed a new pc because I was running off an old Pentium 3 900mhz and a geforce 2 mx(LOL sad huh). And 2 I had a 360 but having to pay $60-$70 for a games was just getting old. Isn't one of the reasons why console makers stop using the cartridge in favor of the cd so they could keep the price down of a game
a c 148 U Graphics card
February 10, 2008 4:25:53 PM

There is more than just gaming with it comes to PC games. You have to be somewhere knowledgeable with your hardware and keep it up to snuff. I call it more of a hobby than just being a gamer.
February 10, 2008 10:12:43 PM

jay2tall said:
There is more than just gaming with it comes to PC games. You have to be somewhere knowledgeable with your hardware and keep it up to snuff. I call it more of a hobby than just being a gamer.

Agreed...Problem was that it took me a while to buy into gaming on a pc.Like I said before, I was pretty much a console fanboy. I guess what changed my mind was helping my little bro with first build and seeing how far ahead pc graphics can be in front of a console. Not that I completely stopped loving my Xbox 360, I just figured that with a pc, like you said, you get tons more versatility. With all that said, building a pc yourself from ground up is one of the coolest things I've done and it makes you want to keep building...
a c 148 U Graphics card
February 10, 2008 11:17:03 PM

jalpaugh1978 said:
Agreed...Problem was that it took me a while to buy into gaming on a pc.Like I said before, I was pretty much a console fanboy. I guess what changed my mind was helping my little bro with first build and seeing how far ahead pc graphics can be in front of a console. Not that I completely stopped loving my Xbox 360, I just figured that with a pc, like you said, you get tons more versatility. With all that said, building a pc yourself from ground up is one of the coolest things I've done and it makes you want to keep building...

Agreed, it is a hobby. I still have a PS2 and I think Racing, side scrolling type games are still better on a console. But PC just is plain better in 1st person shooters. I am getting a 42" 1080p lcd tv tomorrow at costco as they are on sale for $150 off a vizio. I already bought my cable to hook my PC up to the thing. I can't wait. haha. My buddy holds a monthly lan that all us PC nerdy types go to and play all night. It's a fun time. I think its a different class of people compared to the console only people. Consoles you can just get a game, not worry about the requirements besides 2 controllers and memory to save your game. PC's you have to know what you got first off.
June 21, 2009 7:21:10 AM

jay2tall said:
I also gained 600 points in 3dMark06 on a 750/1000 OC. And minimal game FPS. Funny thing is it's stable at that speed and only gets a little hotter. I reverted back to stock since really the gain wasn't worth the potential of failure. I still keep RivaTuner on for the simple fact it has a nice OSD. Does anyone have any other apps that have nice OSD's that would work just as well? I like seeing GPU temp in my system tray and FPS and GPU temp on the OSD.

evga precision comes with a program that shows fps card make model and temp its also good for ocing Ive got a gtx260 but got one with faulty memory Ive got to send it in, just gotta get that last level of doom3 in its such a good game
a b U Graphics card
June 21, 2009 7:40:34 AM

Made by the same guy who makes RT
!