CPU Cooler Charts 2008, Part I - Loosing Your Cool?

eckre

Distinguished
May 31, 2006
meh, http://www.frostytech.com/ has better CPU reviews. Synthetic benchmarks are the only way to go over time.

sxn979

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2007
what kind of paste are you using?
toothpaste?
my stock cooler on a 6750 has 25 idle and close to 50 on load.
maybe 2 more cores get twice the temp.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
They seem to favor the push pin mount it seems, installation wise. [:mousemonkey:4]

coolercharts2008_72474.jpg

And why anyone would mount this HS this way... I dunno. [:mousemonkey:2]

I kinda wish they would have done tests in a PC case with poor/good/best airflow to really see how it affects the performance on HS/Water cool products.

But... I guess I'm asking for too much. :cry:

mobo57

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2007
Why no Coolit products? Like to see something that can match this:
Q6600 oc'd to 400x9, vcore +.17, Prime95 all four cores, ambient at 20C
temp4.jpg

JuiceJones

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2006
I really like that Tom's is doing this, but why oh why the random selection? Since the sheer amount of coolers obviously makes segmenting the articles appropriate, lumping similarly ranged products together would make the articles much stronger and relevant individually. I.E. Part One - Entry Level/Stock Replacement, Part Two - Midrange Air, Part Three - High End Air, Part Four - Water, Part Five - Passive, etc. and so on.

I could not use this article to make a buying decision until the entire round-up is completed. We need to see similarly priced units compared directly, not a random pool.

mobo57

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2007
I've had high end air, water kits and selected parts, and stock coolers. The Eliminator and Freezone rank up towards the top in the no-pain solutions. Easy to install and nothing to maintain like a water system, other than keeping the heat sink free from a dust blanket. You do have to take a little bit of time initially adjusting the system to your environment/system. Literally involves turning a screw a little bit to get your base cooling. Get it too low and condensation can be a problem. At max settings at idle cores can get 4 to 8C below ambient, CPU temp can be up to 15C below ambient.......
At this moment, have my Freezone set at 3/4 setting, ambient is 22, Everest shows 16 CPU, 18 to 20 cores.

ZozZoz

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
The way they mount those heatsinks was rather strange. I mean - if you're trying to emulate actual positioning of the components and even bother to mount the MoBo upright, then why aren't those HSFs blowing out hot air in the direction of the back of the case (and its respective fan)?
Has a single one of the test subjects received a 10 for installation? Seems like the only way do that is for the HSF jump out of the box, mount itself, cook dinner, bring the beer, and give a relaxing massage. Too subjective. The criteria should have been made clear from the start - what gets you 10, and what nets you 0 (i.e. is unforgivable).

bob8701

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
why do they test intel OEM heatsink and compare that to rest heatsink. and why the fan is not on the same positon? since the hot air rise up, the result will be different when the fan face down or up.

patchez

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
It's hard for me to believe that the zalman's 8700 cooler to be 6°C cooler than the scythe ninja ('other giant cooling')

aren't the nervana, thermalright, and the scythe ninja are all essentially the same type?