Sign in with
Your question

ASUS striker II formula freezing??

Last response: in Motherboards
March 16, 2008 5:18:10 AM

Really need some help, I've got an ASUS striker II formula mother board and it keeps freezing my system....

Installed windows 3 times and after about 10 mins it just freezes, then I reset and in boots up to window but then freezes again, reset again and then it won't post, just freezes on the Mother Board screen, I can't enter BIOS. I've removed the battery from the board for 10 hours, then booted the system again, installed windows and the same problem keeps happening........

I can't even flash the BIOS as the system is so unstable that it crashes/freezes before I can do that....

I've had all the hardware working on this board and all the hardware has been tested with other systems.

Please help, this MB is the only one available where I live (KOREA)

q9650
4Gb ram 5 5 5 15 (1066)
GTX 8800 sli
Tagan 900 psu
raptor 150 GB
Seagate Barracusa 7800
ZALMAN CNPS9700

Sorry if this post is badly written.

I just want some help........ :ouch: 
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
March 16, 2008 7:29:25 AM

IN BIOS set the memory voltage to to specs, 2.1v should work well. Manually set the timings to 5-5-5-15. If you don't how...try running the system with 1 DIMM in slot one only and see if it stabalizes. Really, bump up the memory voltage, PC8500 requires the volatge to be manually set to specs..
March 16, 2008 7:39:16 AM

I've already set the memory voltage to 2.1v

And the timing are 5-5-5-15......

I've had it running with one and two sticks of ram.....

Same thing happens, windows just freezes, then windows loads up and freezes and then I can't get into BIOS with out resting the CMOS...... :fou: 

I'm thinking of exchanging the MB but it will need me to ship from the US or Canada to Korea. :pfff: 

Anyone running this board with similar specs to mine? Can they post up their BIOS settings? I'm going to try again later and flash the BIOS to version 1101........

I'm not a very happy customer....
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
March 16, 2008 7:47:53 AM

Have you tried increasing the NB voltage? Also, the 8800GTX SLI. Have you ever tried for stability with a single card?
March 16, 2008 7:57:17 AM

I had it running with a single card, and the same problem is happening.

I thought the audio card that came with the MB was the problem so I took it out and the system seemed really stable for about 20 mins. In the the 20 mins I installed the second card and it loaded to windows with no problems, I even manged to install COD4 and then it froze again. > then loading windows freezing > reset > BIOS freezing......

What do you suggest increasing the NB voltage to?
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
March 16, 2008 8:05:25 AM

Sounds like your system is freezing most often under the stress of running solfware. To me I have no doubt it's a RAM problem. I would bet on it. I would try some other RAM. What PC8500 do you have? Nvidia chipsets can be really picky with RAM. Increase the voltage to 2.2v. Use one DIMM only. Run memtest.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Ultimate_Boot_CD_d4981.html

March 16, 2008 8:10:46 AM

I've had the RAM working in another system with no problems, I've tried using one and two stick, swapping them both around and using the different channels......

Cheers for the link, next time i get the system up for a while I'll see if I can get it installed.

How about the North bridge voltage? It's at 800mhz at the moment...
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
March 16, 2008 8:16:44 AM

Well, 800 MHz would be your RAM frequency or speed. Your PC28500 is guaranteed to run at 1066 MHz. That's why the RAM requires a boost in memory voltage and is spec'd at 5-5-5-15 (loose). So, the 800MHz. is not your Northbridge voltage. Likely you NB voltage is set to default. You would have to do some research and find what that default value is. Then increase it in small increments and check for stability. For example, with my 8GB's of PC8000 I had to manually set the speed to 1066MHz, 5-5-5-15, 2.108v and adjust the NB voltage to 1.39v. I was experiencing the occasional system crash until I did this. I've been stable for many weeks after making the adjustment.
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
March 16, 2008 8:20:31 AM

BTW, I wouldn't rule out the MB or even the processor, but I highly suspect the RAM or RAM adjustment/compatibility. If possible try some other RAM in the system.
March 16, 2008 8:22:40 AM

How did you manage to set the RAM to 2.108v in the BIOS I have only a few set options......

Thanks for helping so much

March 16, 2008 8:24:19 AM

badge said:
BTW, I wouldn't rule out the MB or even the processor, but I highly suspect the RAM or RAM adjustment/compatibility. If possible try some other RAM in the system.

I'm confident the problem isn't the RAM as I've had it working in a different system, I just need to get the BIOS set up right.

a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
March 16, 2008 8:25:20 AM

ASUS maximus Formula has the new ASUS American megatrends BIOS. The BIOS has a lot more adjustemt capability than anything ASUS put out prior to it. If 2.2v is available in your BIOS for memory voltage, choose it.
March 16, 2008 8:28:25 AM

badge said:
ASUS maximus Formula has the new ASUS American megatrends BIOS. The BIOS has a lot more adjustemt capability than anything ASUS put out prior to it. If 2.2v is available in your BIOS for memory voltage, choose it.

How did you set it to 2.108 that isn't an option for me in the BIOS. 2.2 isn't an option either, I think it goes 1.7 > 1.9 > 2.0 > 2.3 > and up......

What version of BIOS are you using 1101?
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
March 16, 2008 8:31:17 AM

dandred said:
I'm confident the problem isn't the RAM as I've had it working in a different system, I just need to get the BIOS set up right.

The RAM may not be defective and run just fine in another board, but will likely require adjustments to run properly in the board you have. The RAM may be incompatible with your ASUS board. I have RAM around to weigh down a truck. Some of it works fine in one board and won't run for 15 seconds in another. You have never said what RAM you have. Your RAM runs fine in another board, so you stick in this board and and have a possible compatibility issue and say no way it's the RAM, "I know it's good." k.
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
March 16, 2008 8:32:19 AM

My board would use a different BIOS than yours. First of all, you have an Nvidia chipset, I have an Intel. 901.
March 16, 2008 8:34:25 AM

badge said:
The RAM may not be defective and run just fine in another board, but will likely require adjustments to run properly in the board you have. The RAM may be incompatible with your ASUs board. I have so much enough RAM around to weigh down a truck. Some of it works fine in one board and won't run for 15 seconds in another. You have never said what RAM you have. Your RAM runs fine in another board, so you stick in this board and and have a possible compatibility issue and say no way it's the RAM, "I know it's good." k.

I'm using G.SKILL DDR2 PC8500 RAM X2 GB
March 16, 2008 8:42:29 AM

dandred said:
I'm using G.SKILL DDR2 PC8500 RAM X2 2 GB sticks

a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
March 16, 2008 8:42:52 AM

Well, I can tell you unless your G. Skill are Micron chips, they are not on your MB's QVL (qualified vendors list). I would think your DIMMS should work with the board. And the fact the RAM worked without errors in another system is a sign they are indeed good and not defective.

So, if you are sure it's not the RAM, like you say, maybe it's the MB. Could be the PSU. Maybe it's the CPU. My suggestion would be to try some other RAM if possible. If not, try increasing the memory voltage to 2.2v and find the default value of you NB and increase the NB voltage. NB voltage increase could solve your entire system stability issue.
March 16, 2008 8:44:10 AM

Whoops i meant to edit not post again

March 16, 2008 8:45:35 AM

badge said:
Well, I can tell you unless your G. Skill are Micron chips, they are not on your MB's QVL (qualified vendors list). I would think your DIMMS should work with the board. And the fact the RAM worked without errors in another system is a sign they are indeed good and not defective.

So, if you are sure it's not the RAM, like you say, maybe it's the MB. Could be the PSU. Maybe it's the CPU. My suggestion would be to try some other RAM if possible. If not, try increasing the memory voltage to 2.2v and find the default value of you NB and increase the NB voltage. NB voltage increase could solve your entire system stability issue.

Thank you :bounce:  :bounce: 

Will try later!!
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
March 16, 2008 8:46:58 AM

Your welcome. Post back if you get it solved. GL.
July 8, 2008 9:31:02 PM

OH MY GOSH! So... by changing the NB voltage and specifying RAM timings... my problems would appear to have been solved! This is something I've been fighting with for weeks. THANK YOU!
May 10, 2013 3:10:05 PM

Hi there everyone,

I know this thread has got a lot of time but I'm having these situations, my only problem is that I can't even but up my system, my screen get's all dark and won't boot up. All the other peripherals run great on other mb. Anyone knows how to help?

Thks in advance.
!