Just as good as the e8400?

othellomcbane

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2008
I hope I'm not overlooking something obvious here, but specs, Google searches and a few posts here and there have led me to conclude that the Intel Xeon E3110 is exactly the same as the e8400, just renamed and rebranded for the server market. Here's the crucial difference: it's in stock at Buy.com (and probably elsewhere) and up to $50 dollars cheaper after the Google Checkout discount. I paid 189 just a few minutes ago, with free shipping. From what I've read, it doesn't seem to have any issues working on whatever MB you planned to run your e8400 on. Supposedly it overclocks just as well, though since I'm only going for an easy 3.6, that doesn't concern me as much as some. When it arrives I'll be doing a fresh build I've been planning for months, so I'll see how well it goes with my GA-P35-DS3L.

Seems almost too good to be true, but here you go: http://www.buy.com/prod/dual-core-intel-xeon-processor-chipe3110-3ghz-1333-mhz-fsb-mm-895888/q/loc/101/206778623.html

othellomcbane

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2008
The Intel site just says: "Optimized for small business, these value-priced processors with moderate DDR2 memory platform capacity make this ideal as a first, small business server." It doesn't mention anything about needing a special type of memory. I hope not; everything else is the same.

rallyimprezive

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007

othellomcbane

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2008
Thanks for the feedback guys. I got cold feed and canceled the order while I had time, though I have to wait until tomorrow to see if the request went through or something. Either way should be fine, as I'm pretty sure it will work, but I don't want the hassle of having to RMA it at this point. A bunch of threads have sprung up on other forums today, and others are saying that this chip works fine for them, while others are saying that is is indeed a gamble. A great deal, still, so maybe a worthwhile gamble. Someone with a Gigabyte P35 motherboard says it works fine for them, and apparently it doesn't require any special memory. Basically it seems like it should work with a BIOS update as long as you have a good mobo. Nonetheless, I'm not ambitious enough and this is one of my first builds, so I'll go for something I know definitely works, at least I see some more experiences with this thing.

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
It's the same chip in a different colored box.
Intel has done this in the past. I'll bet that even the HSF looks identical to the E8400, just like the original Conroes had Xeon 3xxx sisters. Unlike AMD where Opty's seemed binned for better OC and carried higher prices than their respective Athlons, the Intel chips act the same. The spec SLAPL vs. SLAPM appears meaningless.

rallyimprezive

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007

Im sorry to point a finger, but all of the information on Intel's website directly conflicts with your statement.

They employ a lot of the same design but there are several difference in the instruction sets, voltage limits, thermal thresholds, and chipset compatibilty. Please review the intel spec sheets more carefully before you provide false information that could lead someone into making a poor purchase choice.

Also, OP, Microcenter has been selling the E8400 for $189-$199 on their website. Just get it there.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0281097

othellomcbane

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2008
Yeah, I know about Microcenter, but you can't buy the 8400 online. It always shows up in the list, but you can never add it to the cart. There's one right across the river in NJ, but since I live in NYC I don't have a car and can't get there. I even had my parents stop this weekend while they were visiting, and they were out of stock. Technically, I don't even really need the horsepower the e8400 provides, so I'm having a hard time justifying the cost. I'll just pick up a lesser proc on eBay, save over a hundred bucks and then upgrade again after Nehalem.

cully

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
I bought the E 8400 from newegg. I have it on an Asus P5N-E SLI mobo. I did have to update the bios to the new 0803 version. So far it has exceeded my expectations. I had it at 3.6 and it was very stable, temps hovered around 40 degrees c. I would highly recommend this cpu to anyone wanting a real bang for their buck.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
The E3110 should work just fine since it's the LGA775 PIN Version.

The Microcode is slightly different as somebody else noted to optimize the chip for slightly different workloads.

However, I would not expect a drastic difference in performance.

othellomcbane

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2008
The Gigabyte compatability list doesn't list support for the Xeons on any of their regular motherboards, yet others have gotten the 3110 working on a number of the P35 chipset boards, both Abit and Gigabyte. I think Gigabyte just doesn't list it because it's not a "desktop" processor. I emailed them about it and haven't heard back yet, but so far I haven't seen anyone report problems getting this to run on the p35 chipset.