HSF for a GIGABYTE GA-EX38-DQ6

jonesing

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2008
I am putting together a new build using a GIGABYTE GA-EX38-DQ6 and am currently looking for a CPU fan. I was considering the Thermalright Ultra-120 extreme, but according to their website you need to remove the "crazy cool" from the MOBO in order to fit the HSF. That kinda defeats the purpose of getting this board. Has anyone had any experience with this? If it doesn't fit could you recommend another cooler that does fit?

jonesing

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2008
from the MOBO manual it appears this MAY refer to just the portion of the "crazy cool" on the back of the board under the CPU and northbridge.
???????????????????????????

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
The back plate is supposed to be easy to get off. Look at page 16 of the manual (if you have it at this point), it has instructions on how to remove it.

I am going to use the Xigmatek HDT-1283 which is push pin so you don't have to remove the back plate. I saw a review that had it in so I know it fits. Here is a FrostyTech list of HS...this one is on the top of the list.

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

I paid extra cash for all that copper so dammit, I am going to use it!!

jay_l_a

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2008
I had this problem deciding on a heatsink.
I wanted PWM as the board supports it.

In the end I went for the Kingwin Revolution 92mm.

It seems for every cooler out there, there are some terrible reviews and some good.

I'm surprised that with all the coolers out there, there are so few good ones.

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
NP. I have one ready to go but I haven't started to put my system together yet.

A note of advisory; It comes with a little sample of thermal paste but don't use it because it is silicon based. Silicon based thermal paste will corrode copper. It wouldn't hurt to order some thermal paste if you don't have some already. Skip over to the cooler and heatsink section if you need help picking one out. Or ask here and anyone will be glad to toss out a few ideas.