Sovixi

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
Hi I have a Lacie external drive and recently my Kaspersky Anti-virus found infected system files on it. I deleted these fiels (stupid :pfff: ). Anyway my hard drive won't start right now. Can you advise me how to recover my files?

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I just got done with a drive that had lost all formatting on three partitions. One NTFS ~80G and 2 FAT ~30G. I bought the GetDataBack NTFS/FAT combo and recovered all my data.

I talked to my brother in Cal., he is a HD forensic something or other. He told me that depending on the corruption the results with GetDataBack vary, but he uses it and likes it. Since you lost the drive all of a sudden, like I did, you either have a hardware problem i.e., drive controller failure, in which case you are screwed, or you will be able to recover your data completely with GetDataBack. You should remove the drive from the case and plug it in to the PATA on the mobo directly. You will obviously need a second drive that is big enough to hold all the data.

GetDataBack has a demo that you can try and see if it can find the files, then buy it and register while it is still running. That way you don't have to stress the drive again finding the files. Be prepared to recover/save the files on the first try. If your drive is failing you may not get a second chance.

Whatever you do, do not write to the drive.

Since you had a virus I would try the drive as a PATA or in another machine first to be sure it isn't related to the virus killing the USB etc.

Damn, I should get a spiff. :lol:

Sovixi

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
I actually used pc inspector and was able to recover most of the files. What was the problem is that some of the boot files were deleted. Thanks for help.