Whentrying to reformat my computer shuts down at the windows setup

G

Hello, I tried to add another harddrive to a computer that has a virus on the master drive. I set the additional drive up as the master and set the original harddrive to slave. I went into the bios to make sure the system was detecting them that way, and everything looked fine. The seagate drive was Primary Master and the Western digital was the Primary Slave. I then attempted to put Windows XP on the master drive and after a few minutes of preparing to run setup, my computer shuts off. I have tried removing the new harddrive and reconnecting the old one and vise versa, and then attempted the XP install again, but it is still shutting down. Patrial Formatting has now started on both drives, so I cant start in windows. How can I can get windows setup to start, during the intial stages of setup its stopping I dont even get to the section where I can choose to delete a partition, it shuts off right before that. Help.

50crckt51

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008
You may want to run "Darik's Boot and Nuke" otherwise known as DBAN on the drives before attempting any further installations. It sounds as if the nasty has the ability to affect firmware.

You can find it here - http://www.dban.org/

TRENDING THREADS