Vista

Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft (More info?)

I got my hands on a copy of the beta. It looks very nice. Copies quite
a few visual cues from OSX (transparencies, fade-in/out. A lot of the
mechanics under the hood look identical to XP (System diag, display
properties... etc.). Been completely stable so far, and runs most
programs XP does. It has had a tendancy to hang rarely. SC & WC3 both
run :)
--
"No I'm saying that I'm a cow dung." - Stephen "Suupernuubie" Ung
"Eat a bag of hell." - Cyric The Mad

MSN:ktwilson86@hotmail.com (BUT DON'T SEND E-MAIL!) YIM: ktwilson AIM: YahooKyleW
Zealot the Crazy Lui
Grand 16-Star General and overall director of AGSC operations for the Pronoun Army(and webmaster)
http://pronounarmy.homestead.com/ http://home.comcast.net/~ktwilson9999/
re-vamped sig xp Build 2004.7

"Zealot The Crazy Lui" <ktwilson9999@NOSPAM.comcast.net> wrote in message
>I got my hands on a copy of the beta.

Wow! How did you manage!?

> It looks very nice.

I'll bet!

> Copies quite
> a few visual cues from OSX (transparencies, fade-in/out. A lot of the
> mechanics under the hood look identical to XP (System diag, display
> properties... etc.).

Sounds facinating and interesting

> Been completely stable so far, and runs most
> programs XP does.

Really?

> It has had a tendancy to hang rarely. SC & WC3 both
> run :)

That's great dude!

Now, I only have one question. What the (insert the famous censored word) is
Vista? ;p
--
Steven Ung
The Ignorant Asian

Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft (More info?)

> "Steven Ung" <steven@nodomainname.com> wrote in message
> That's great dude!
>
> Now, I only have one question. What the (insert the famous censored word)
> is Vista? ;p

Ever heard of Longhorn? ... as in the successor of Windows XP?

They decided to call it 'Vista' :p

Cheers,
Low Profile

Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft (More info?)

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 18:47:09 +0200, "Low Profile" <blah@blah.com>
wrote:

>Ever heard of Longhorn? ... as in the successor of Windows XP?
>They decided to call it 'Vista' :p

(more infos)
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.mspx
--
"No I'm saying that I'm a cow dung." - Stephen "Suupernuubie" Ung
"Eat a bag of hell." - Cyric The Mad
"I'm all for the girl on girl action, but it could put a strain on the marriage" - LTP

MSN:ktwilson86@hotmail.com (BUT DON'T SEND E-MAIL!) YIM: ktwilson AIM: YahooKyleW
Zealot the Crazy Lui
Grand 16-Star General and overall director of AGSC operations for the Pronoun Army(and webmaster)
http://pronounarmy.homestead.com/ http://home.comcast.net/~ktwilson9999/
re-vamped sig xp Build 2004.7

Sam

Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft (More info?)

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 00:13:55 -0700
Zealot The Crazy Lui <ktwilson9999@NOSPAM.comcast.net> wrote:

> I got my hands on a copy of the beta. It looks very nice. Copies quite
> a few visual cues from OSX (transparencies, fade-in/out. A lot of the
> mechanics under the hood look identical to XP (System diag, display
> properties... etc.). Been completely stable so far, and runs most
> programs XP does. It has had a tendancy to hang rarely. SC & WC3 both
> run :)

Unfortunately future versions of Windows appear to be just shot more full of digital rights management, that seems to be the "feature" of the future, not controlling your own computer.

sam

"sam" <samspam@spamdenisons.spamorg> wrote in message
> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 00:13:55 -0700
> Zealot The Crazy Lui <ktwilson9999@NOSPAM.comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> I got my hands on a copy of the beta. It looks very nice. Copies
>> quite
>> a few visual cues from OSX (transparencies, fade-in/out. A lot of
>> the
>> mechanics under the hood look identical to XP (System diag,
>> display
>> properties... etc.). Been completely stable so far, and runs most
>> programs XP does. It has had a tendancy to hang rarely. SC & WC3
>> both
>> run :)
>
> Unfortunately future versions of Windows appear to be just shot
> more full of digital rights management, that seems to be the
> "feature" of the future, not controlling your own computer.

It is not Microsoft mandating this. It is content producers.
Microsoft will remain competitive by being the only OS which allows
viewing of protected media on a PC.

--
"When you have to choose between a first-rate company with a
second-rate product and a second-rate company with a first-rate

Sam

Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft (More info?)

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 10:10:37 -0600
"Luc The Perverse" <sll_noSpamlicious_z_XXX_m@cc.usu.edu> wrote:

> > Unfortunately future versions of Windows appear to be just shot
> > more full of digital rights management, that seems to be the
> > "feature" of the future, not controlling your own computer.
>

> It is not Microsoft mandating this. It is content producers.
> Microsoft will remain competitive by being the only OS which allows
> viewing of protected media on a PC.

Well another (nice sig by the way) way of looking at it is that they are creating a market of people with locked down computers FOR the content producers (ones who mistrust their customers, plenty of content providers still actually sell their works and might continue to do.

sam

> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 10:10:37 -0600
> "Luc The Perverse" <sll_noSpamlicious_z_XXX_m@cc.usu.edu> wrote:
>
>> > Unfortunately future versions of Windows appear to be just shot
>> > more full of digital rights management, that seems to be the
>> > "feature" of the future, not controlling your own computer.
>>

>> It is not Microsoft mandating this. It is content producers.
>> Microsoft will remain competitive by being the only OS which
>> allows
>> viewing of protected media on a PC.
>
> Well another (nice sig by the way) way of looking at it is that
> they are creating a market of people with locked down computers FOR
> the content producers (ones who mistrust their customers, plenty of
> content providers still actually sell their works and might
> continue to do.

Yes I (nice interjection by the way) agree. But come on, how many
people are going to pay for things they can get for free, if it is
easier, more convenient and quicker to get it for free? The answer
is not many.

Look at a soup kitchen. They have shitty soup, long lines, long
waits, it's dirty etc. etc. etc.

Now consider Freemac, a competitor to McDonalds. We are quicker,
charge nothing, cleaner and the food tastes just as good. Sorry,
McDonalds would not stay in business long.

I don't like CD's. I listen to ALL of my music on the computer. I
use CDs to ensure I have the kind of high quality rips that I like,
only because I cannot guarantee that I will find that on the net
since they have taken the nicest tools away. (I ~have~ stopped all
illegal downloading/sharing for fear of the RIAA, but I was once a
big time trader.)

--
"When you have to choose between a first-rate company with a
second-rate product and a second-rate company with a first-rate
product, it's never an ideal choice. " -Ed (www.overclockers.com)

Sam

Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft (More info?)

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 22:03:21 -0600
"Luc The Perverse" <sll_noSpamlicious_z_XXX_m@cc.usu.edu> wrote:

> > Well another (nice sig by the way) way of looking at it is that
> > they are creating a market of people with locked down computers FOR
> > the content producers (ones who mistrust their customers, plenty of
> > content providers still actually sell their works and might
> > continue to do.
>

> Yes I (nice interjection by the way) agree. But come on, how many
> people are going to pay for things they can get for free, if it is
> easier, more convenient and quicker to get it for free? The answer
> is not many.
>
> Look at a soup kitchen. They have shitty soup, long lines, long
> waits, it's dirty etc. etc. etc.
>
> Now consider Freemac, a competitor to McDonalds. We are quicker,
> charge nothing, cleaner and the food tastes just as good. Sorry,
> McDonalds would not stay in business long.
>
> I don't like CD's. I listen to ALL of my music on the computer. I
> use CDs to ensure I have the kind of high quality rips that I like,
> only because I cannot guarantee that I will find that on the net
> since they have taken the nicest tools away. (I ~have~ stopped all
> illegal downloading/sharing for fear of the RIAA, but I was once a
> big time trader.)

Yeah, I use CDs too, I was never really a big warez-d00d or anything (except for half my Weird Al collection :$)

The problem is, the iPod wielding AOL users out there that thing iTunes is great are going to give up their music collections to turn their computers into little shops, that you don't have your own keys for. They'll love it, and it will be too late for freedom, because with Vista they will make DRM EASIER than actually getting the actual music that you can actually have and copy and rip and burn and listen to and everything. Then we're buggered, because eventually CDs will go out of fashion.

I know DVDs aren't copy protected in a manner that works, but when they make it hard enough for normal people, they just give up and assume that it's the law that's defeated them and that that's ok, they don't deserve to be able to backup or time shift or media shift or anything. When the Windows Media Center is cheaper (including time) to get your films (movies?) then we've already lost a big part of our culture, because it's only available in the official, secure channels.

Note: I can no longer remember what my point was.

Sam

Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft (More info?)

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 16:03:21 +1200, Luc The Perverse
<sll_noSpamlicious_z_XXX_m@cc.usu.edu> wrote:

>I don't like CD's. I listen to ALL of my music on the computer. I
> use CDs to ensure I have the kind of high quality rips that I like,
> only because I cannot guarantee that I will find that on the net
> since they have taken the nicest tools away. (I ~have~ stopped all
> illegal downloading/sharing for fear of the RIAA, but I was once a
> big time trader.)

Yep, connected all the way up with the warez dood mafio I bet.

--
iY

"Spyderizer" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 16:03:21 +1200, Luc The Perverse
> <sll_noSpamlicious_z_XXX_m@cc.usu.edu> wrote:
>
>>I don't like CD's. I listen to ALL of my music on the computer.
>> use CDs to ensure I have the kind of high quality rips that I
>> like,
>> only because I cannot guarantee that I will find that on the net
>> since they have taken the nicest tools away. (I ~have~ stopped
>> all
>> illegal downloading/sharing for fear of the RIAA, but I was once a
>> big time trader.)
>>

> Yep, connected all the way up with the warez dood mafio I bet.

Good old Gnutella mafia.

--
"When you have to choose between a first-rate company with a
second-rate product and a second-rate company with a first-rate
product, it's never an ideal choice. " -Ed (www.overclockers.com)

Sam

Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft (More info?)

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 20:28:55 -0600
"Luc The Perverse" <sll_noSpamlicious_z_XXX_m@cc.usu.edu> wrote:

> >> It's not so much of a name change as the final retail name.
> >> Longhorn
> >> was the internal code name for Vista, whose final retail name was
> >> presumably not finalized until this year. Longhorn is a pretty odd
> >> name for an OS, IMO, although Vista isn't exactly along the same
> >> naming scheme as the rest of the Windows OSes.
> >
> > BOB ME XP Vista
> >
> > Welcome to the new school.
>
> BOB?

YES! I out-dorked someone on AGSC! Here:

Actually it's just Microsoft Bob, not BOB

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_bob

sam

Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft (More info?)

IN TEH PALECE KNOWEN AS alt.games.starcraft, TEH FAGGORTER "Luc The
Perverse" <sll_noSpamlicious_z_XXX_m@cc.usu.edu> DUMPED HIS GHEYE
SHIET ON MY COMPUTAR SCREEN!!!!:

>(I ~have~ stopped all
>illegal downloading/sharing for fear of the RIAA, but I was once a
>big time trader.)

....Silly americans.

--
The Melodramatic MuuMi

"I wuv fishes"
- Bob-The-Vasudan, Commander of the 11th Battlegroup

Official supporter of Vasudan Grand Admiral Bob:
http://koti.mbnet.fi/muumi/Bob.jpg
http://koti.mbnet.fi/muumi/BobPoster.jpg

ICQ: 26741225
E-Mail: muumiSPAM@MEmbnet.fiHERE!

Remove the nospam thingy for valid E-mail adress.

Sam

Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft (More info?)

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 21:03:51 +1200
Spyderizer <no@spam.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 21:49:00 +1200, sam <samspam@spamdenisons.spamorg>
> wrote:
>
> > And the reason it's been moved forward is that they new they couldn't
> > get all their DRM and the WinFS and some stuff working properly that
> > early, so they moved that back into a release called Blackcomb.
> > (shudders). That left Longhorn to go early, so as far as I know they
> > moved that /forward/ and it becomes Vista.
> >
> > Sam
>
> So, Vista's not going to have DRM?

Well, aside from the fact that Windows ME and Windows XP already contain DRM in the Windows Media Player system and then lower in (related to WMP) the sound system) they're not exactly doing a U-turn on their pushing DRM.

There's going to be increasing levels of DRM control in Vista, presumably they're just grooming their users to believe that it's ok to have DRM, Apple are doing a great job of this on their own, and a worrying amount of people don't see why region control on their DVDs is bad nor why things that they own have to be encrypted. It's going to be a gradual process.

I had wondered, if it came down to Palladium PCs just being released one day, I would have to campaign against them in the office superstore I work for, trying to get people to choose non-crippled machines if they want to. I would probably get sacked.

Sam

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 12:43:51 +0100, sam <samspam@spamdenisons.spamorg>
wrote:

>Well, aside from the fact that Windows ME and Windows XP already contain DRM in the Windows Media Player system and then lower in (related to WMP) the sound system) they're not exactly doing a U-turn on their pushing DRM.

Not a u-turn, but hardly what they were claiming a couple years ago.
DRM built in to the hardware so that it's physically impossible to run
pirated software? that hasn't happened yet. It's probably not stopped
completely, but just delayed a bit.

>There's going to be increasing levels of DRM control in Vista, presumably they're just grooming their users to believe that it's ok to have DRM, Apple are doing a great job of this on their own, and a worrying amount of people don't see why region control on their DVDs is bad nor why things that they own have to be encrypted. It's going to be a gradual process.

There are workarounds for all the current DRM software I've used
(region-free dvd players, or software that switches the region of your
DVD-ROM drive as many times as you want. for iTunes, burn your tracks
to a cd then re-import to mp3 etc...)

>I had wondered, if it came down to Palladium PCs just being released one day, I would have to campaign against them in the office superstore I work for, trying to get people to choose non-crippled machines if they want to. I would probably get sacked.

Just quietly suggest they try this PC over here, because it's a better
value.... :)
--
"No I'm saying that I'm a cow dung." - Stephen "Suupernuubie" Ung
"Eat a bag of hell." - Cyric The Mad
"I'm all for the girl on girl action, but it could put a strain on the marriage" - LTP

MSN:ktwilson86@hotmail.com (BUT DON'T SEND E-MAIL!) YIM: ktwilson AIM: YahooKyleW
Zealot the Crazy Lui
Grand 16-Star General and overall director of AGSC operations for the Pronoun Army(and webmaster)
http://pronounarmy.homestead.com/ http://home.comcast.net/~ktwilson9999/
re-vamped sig xp Build 2004.7

Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft (More info?)

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 20:31:26 -0600, "Luc The Perverse"
<sll_noSpamlicious_z_XXX_m@cc.usu.edu> wrote:

>Good old Gnutella mafia.

Audiogalaxy... edonkey... winmx... errr, wait, am I incriminating
myself? :)
--

> On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 12:43:51 +0100, sam <samspam@spamdenisons.spamorg>
> wrote:
>
>>Well, aside from the fact that Windows ME and Windows XP already contain
>>DRM in the Windows Media Player system and then lower in (related to WMP)
>>the sound system) they're not exactly doing a U-turn on their pushing DRM.
>
> Not a u-turn, but hardly what they were claiming a couple years ago.
> DRM built in to the hardware so that it's physically impossible to run
> pirated software? that hasn't happened yet. It's probably not stopped
> completely, but just delayed a bit.

I heard both monitors and video cards are going to need special hardware to
play HD-DVD's.

Hollywood and the RIAA are taking out all stops.

They are going to liscense the encryption scheme, and then not sell it to
anyone, so they can make it illegal for anyone to sell a device which
decrypts it.

I don't think in 5 years you will be able to log on to bittorrent and
download an HD - DVD movie. I'm sure there will still be some illegal
trading, but nothing like it used to be.

-LTP

:)

Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft (More info?)

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 22:38:15 +0100, sam <samspam@spamdenisons.spamorg>
wrote:

>What, pray tell, is a vector icon?

Circa OSX. It uses a vector image as an icon so it's infinitely
scalable (IE Flash graphics) without causing aliases.
--
"No I'm saying that I'm a cow dung." - Stephen "Suupernuubie" Ung
"Eat a bag of hell." - Cyric The Mad
"I'm all for the girl on girl action, but it could put a strain on the marriage" - LTP

MSN:ktwilson86@hotmail.com (BUT DON'T SEND E-MAIL!) YIM: ktwilson AIM: YahooKyleW
Zealot the Crazy Lui
Grand 16-Star General and overall director of AGSC operations for the Pronoun Army(and webmaster)
http://pronounarmy.homestead.com/ http://home.comcast.net/~ktwilson9999/
re-vamped sig xp Build 2004.7

Sam

Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft (More info?)

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 10:56:31 -0700
Zealot The Crazy Lui <ktwilson9999@NOSPAM.comcast.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 20:31:26 -0600, "Luc The Perverse"
> <sll_noSpamlicious_z_XXX_m@cc.usu.edu> wrote:
>
> >Good old Gnutella mafia.
>
> Audiogalaxy... edonkey... winmx... errr, wait, am I incriminating
> myself? :)

Only if you upload, perversely.

Sam

Sam

Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft (More info?)

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 10:54:04 -0700
Zealot The Crazy Lui <ktwilson9999@NOSPAM.comcast.net> wrote:

> Not a u-turn, but hardly what they were claiming a couple years ago.
> DRM built in to the hardware so that it's physically impossible to run
> pirated software? that hasn't happened yet. It's probably not stopped
> completely, but just delayed a bit.

I don't remember them saying it would be here in 2005 or anything, I presume it's just marching along, subversive as ever.

> There are workarounds for all the current DRM software I've used
> (region-free dvd players, or software that switches the region of your
> DVD-ROM drive as many times as you want. for iTunes, burn your tracks
> to a cd then re-import to mp3 etc...)

Yeah, but normal people can't do that sort of stuff, and they're the one's that are going to "drop us all in it" with their Palladium and their iTunes and HDCP and stuff.

Anyway, your iTunes de-restriction transcodes AAC to MP3 which doesn't exactly preserve quality. There's better ways, apparently. But you shouldn't have to do that.

> Just quietly suggest they try this PC over here, because it's a better
> value.... :)

Precisely.

Sam

Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft (More info?)

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 22:51:31 +0100, sam <samspam@spamdenisons.spamorg>
wrote:

>I don't remember them saying it would be here in 2005 or anything, I presume it's just marching along, subversive as ever.

I remember reading a news article that claimed hardware DRM would be
around in time for Longhorn (aka 2005 at the time). Perhaps they
didn't check their facts, but I've not heard any other timeframe for
it.

>Yeah, but normal people can't do that sort of stuff, and they're the one's that are going to "drop us all in it" with their Palladium and their iTunes and HDCP and stuff.

"Normal people"? Anyone *can* do it, it's whether or not they take the
time to find out how to. A few searches on google will tell you the
things I've described and much more. I've found WMA decoders that
allow you to remove protection (only from version 8 and older). DVD's
have copy protection, but DVD Decrypter easily circumvents that.
Unless companies start enabling DRM at a hardware level, there are
people that will find (reletively) easy software ways around it.

>Anyway, your iTunes de-restriction transcodes AAC to MP3 which doesn't exactly preserve quality. There's better ways, apparently. But you shouldn't have to do that.

Yeah... but it's not that bad. If you prefer, you can use a lossless
codec or a higher quality one like ogg, or if you really want you can
keep the raw wav file. This prevents further loss of quality.
--
"No I'm saying that I'm a cow dung." - Stephen "Suupernuubie" Ung
"Eat a bag of hell." - Cyric The Mad
"I'm all for the girl on girl action, but it could put a strain on the marriage" - LTP

MSN:ktwilson86@hotmail.com (BUT DON'T SEND E-MAIL!) YIM: ktwilson AIM: YahooKyleW
Zealot the Crazy Lui
Grand 16-Star General and overall director of AGSC operations for the Pronoun Army(and webmaster)
http://pronounarmy.homestead.com/ http://home.comcast.net/~ktwilson9999/
re-vamped sig xp Build 2004.7

Sam

Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft (More info?)

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 18:17:47 -0700
Zealot The Crazy Lui <ktwilson9999@NOSPAM.comcast.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 22:38:15 +0100, sam <samspam@spamdenisons.spamorg>
> wrote:
>
> >What, pray tell, is a vector icon?
>
> Circa OSX. It uses a vector image as an icon so it's infinitely
> scalable (IE Flash graphics) without causing aliases.

Of course! Duh.

Sam

> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 10:56:31 -0700
> Zealot The Crazy Lui <ktwilson9999@NOSPAM.comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 20:31:26 -0600, "Luc The Perverse"
>> <sll_noSpamlicious_z_XXX_m@cc.usu.edu> wrote:
>>
>> >Good old Gnutella mafia.
>>
>> Audiogalaxy... edonkey... winmx... errr, wait, am I incriminating
>> myself? :)
>
> Only if you upload, perversely.

I do most things perversely

-LTP

:)

> They're also starting to sell more and more DRM audio CDs (unrippable,
> uncopiable... at least by computers). I remember when some professor
> guy got sued by the RIAA for publicly disclosing the fact that the
> protection was defeatable simply by holding down shift when you put in
> the CD. (the protection relied on autorun to enable it. No autorun, no
> protection)

OMFG.

Well . . . I think people would have caught on when you could rip in it in
Linux . . .

I disable autorun anyway . . . I think of it as a security risk. Just like
I remove all the built in windows plug and play drivers.

-LTP

:)