Sign in with
Your question

Desktop Won't Load, Background Only, Explorer Problem

Last response: in Windows XP
June 30, 2010 6:03:00 PM

I built my computer last summer and had a trouble free year up till about this April. In April whenever I would boot up my computer it would randomly sometimes not load up all the desktop icons and task bar, however, most of the time a simply restart would solve the problem.
Now its the end of June and no matter how many times I restart, I cannot get my toolbar and icons to come up. I can only navigate via task manager.
I have searched for solutions and have tried the following:
Replacing explorer on the C drive with one from another computer
Renaming explorer to a random name and running it
Terminating explorer and reloading it on task manager
Running superantispyware
Running HiJackThis
Running AVIRA
...and nothing seems to work

I am currently running Windows XP Professional 32bit.

I wasn't sure how to do the Windows repair using the disc, so I don't know if someone thinks that could do the trick and could walk me through it.

Does anyone have any suggestions, I have tried almost everything on the web it seems! I don't know if there are any other solutions. Thanks a lot for your time!
June 30, 2010 7:33:03 PM

From the run command or new task in task manager type sfc /scannow This will check you system files and hopefully replace all corrupt files. Also run Ccleaner (both icons on left of program window- for cleanup and for the registry)
m
l
June 30, 2010 8:03:15 PM

If you are going to run the "sfc /scannow" command, it will require the OS disk to complete it's function. I would advise an AV scan be run to be on the safe side.
m
l
Related resources
June 30, 2010 8:13:58 PM

I have the OS disk so I should be okay with that. Also what is the "AV scan"?
And I am also a little confused by what you mean when you say:
Quote:
Also run Ccleaner (both icons on left of program window- for cleanup and for the registry)

What is Ccleaner? And what do you mean by "both icons on left of program window"

Again, Thank you very much for your help.
m
l
June 30, 2010 8:21:48 PM

My apologies, the AV refers to whatever your current "Anti Virus" program is. Ccleaner is a registry cleaning application from Piriform.com it is a very good tool to have. I am here if you have any further questions?
m
l
!