eltouristo

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
In response to:
"CPU Cooler Charts 2008, Part 1
Daniel Schuhmann
February 20, 2008 07:55
The Heat Is On - CPU Coolers Compared"

My personal experience with the 8700copper is that is performs well for a given fan speed
FOR ITS WEIGHT AND SIZE. I choose it after trying others and becuase it
fits in Qpack2 case. It's light for being all copper (thin fins).
The retaining clip does NOT inspire confidence compared to their other (screw type)
designs. I dont know what Zalman was thinking. I would describe it as just barely adequate. BUT I was able to handle it and understand it. (Again others are easier).
So I dont agree with Schuhmann. If there is a better cooler of this weight
and height I doubt it's much better. I set case down VERY carefully if
Im setting it down vertically(handle-up) during transit etc. I think i good bump might disslodge cooler slightly,
perhaps 'resetting' the grease-that might decrease cooling.
but I also think I have a good seal with the grease. With clip and grease on I could, with a few of pounds force or so (guestimate-not super easy), slide cooler around on cpu. But it felt "kinda firm enough" (Im a fairly good judge). Good flat set and seal. I had the 7000 al/copper blend on there before that. It was noticeable outperformed by the 8700 but the screw retention on the 7000 is much better and feels solid. I would recommend the 8700 cooler to others looking for its size and weight. I cant say if there is a better one out there, but if there is, it
is going to need to be all copper and heat-pipe. Those things do make a difference.

eltouristo

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
I just want to emphasize that it is UTTERLY not fair to judge all coolers the same.
Size and weight are obviously relavant. Of course the bigger ones are likely to be the
better, in gereral. If you have not height restriction then of course you can do better than the 8700.

The Zalman 8700 is not that bad and uses the same retention system(or it looks to) as their 9700. I have the 9700 and I like it better. You have the backplate and put the heatsink on with the retainer and the little thing that goes in the middle and screw it in.

Even mine is a bit loose to be able to twist to get any air bubbles out of the thermal paste. But overall it cools quite well and so does the 8700. Albiet it does seem to have a harder time to attatch it due to its compact size but you want small don't expect to be able to work on it easy.

The same goes for small size cases and cars. Small cars suck worse as its hard to get in and get the job done. Same with small PC cases.

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007

Your right the review was a bit amateurisch in general. The 8700 is an ok cooler, it just seems that for those who have the case room (I know you said you dont) then why not just go for ones that blows air out of the case instead of just swirling it around like a rose type cooler.

cheers

Greetings

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
It seems when tight benchmarking is done against the top competition out there Zalman doesn't come out on top in any category.

They got a good rep some years back and have been riding the brand recognition forever.

It's a known brand, they can look cool, but the best choice? Not that I've ever seen lately.

Greetings

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
i wouldn't argue that -

in fact i've owned the 9700, it is very good.

it just seems when it comes to benchmarks they are usually outdone by competitors link the Ninja or others...

function9

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
They've been that way for years now. At one point in time they were the only game in town. Aside from brand recognition, I would say they usually have the most user friendly designs. But yeah, if you're looking for what cools the absolute best or what is the quietest. It won't be Zalman.

their 9700 are pretty good. ask anyone who uses them.
Are these the same people that are using the stock hsf on their video cards? Or using dual 80mm exhaust fans? ;)

function9

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
Not really, just over the years I've noticed some that claim they can't hear Zalman coolers even at top speed. And they will fail to mention in the same post they're running a video card with the stock cooler or 4-5+ case fans (and not even undervolted).

Not saying Zalman doesn't put out a good product, I still have a cnps7700 that sits on an old northwood cpu in an older machine. But they're not on the cutting edge like they once were.