Sign in with
Your question

Big Tax returns, Bigger New PC

Last response: in Systems
February 1, 2008 3:53:54 AM

Well, im getting a decent ammount of money from all my hard work last year, and the wife has given me the "Go" to reward myself on a new system upgrade. being as the last time i upgraded, Dual Cores were only in R&D, so, yea. everything is gonna change.

I do, however have some questions. im hearing all kinds of things from magazines and forums and im confused as heck as to what to do. I have a system setup in mind, but is it going to be worth it? will i be setting myself up for products that are going to be pointless tomorrow? (beta max, anyone?)

What im looking for here is replies of people who know what they're talking about. this is important. i dont want people saying "you should get this motherboard and video card cuz i have that mother board and my brother has that video card" because that to me, is not getting educated on WHY i should buy a board and vid card....

here goes, this is the setup im looking at;

Motherboard - XFX MB-N780-ISH9 or EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 (practically the same board)

CPU - Intel Q6600 Quad Core OEM

Memory (already purchased) - 4gb (4096)Corsair Twin-X XMS2 DHX 5-5-5-18 ($70 NIB :pt1cable:  )

GPU - EVGA 8800 GT 512 SLI PCI-e v2.0 DX10

CPU cooler - Ultra Chil Tech Thermal electric CPU cooler (badass Cooling system fan)

Power supply (already purchased) Ultra X2 750watt Titanuim Modular PS (dual Rail for SLI) ($60 NIB :pt1cable:  )

and all the other crap like sound and HDD i already have from my old system.

THE BIG QUESTION IS.... with this mobo, i hear its not going to be around long because its not DDR3. some new 790i chipset will be replacing it soon. if I wait, im not going to utalize the DDR3 because i already have the DDR2 memory. also, If there's a better board out there arounf $250 - $300, what is it. im partial to Asus and Intel boards. but intel doesnt have SLI... and lots of Asus boards are going ATI Crossfire. if i get a comparable Crossfire card (comparable to the new 8800GT PCIe v2.0, its going to cost close to $400 or more. Also, the PCI-e v2.0 is not quite compatable with some boards. you wont get the full 16G/Bs instead of 8G/Bs on the older versions v1.x) so i want a board that will use PCI-e v2 and preferably a LGA775 socket because the way the intel q6600s are right now, pretty much blow away the AMD Phenom units (not bashing AMD. but they dont hold up to intel atm...)

so. my main concern is What Motherboard options do i have @ $250-$300? Strictly Gaming. not so much a mass Overclocker. it'd be like driving a stock Fararri. you buy it fast so you dont have to try to make it faster.

More about : big tax returns bigger

February 1, 2008 4:34:51 AM

I like a majority of the build. I've heard mixed reviews over that psu and wish you the best of luck with it.

I just got done building a similar rig to yours. If pick out a case with ample cooling. I went with the cooler master rc 690.

I like the new 45nm offerings from intel so you might want to look into one of the e8xxx series cpu's which dont get quite as hot. Or you might want to hold off for the new 45nm quads which are supposed to come out in march. I chose a e8400 and oc'd it to 4.2ghz on a attic cooling freezer pro 7.

If you would like to choose a futureproof mobi with sli, support for 45nm CPUs, and PCI express 2.0 then look no further than the ASIs p5n-d which is brand new and on sale at newegg for roughly 150. I haven't had any trouble out of mine. The only drawback I can see is only having 4 sata ports and the floppy connector could be in a better spot. Other than that I highly recommend this board.

Everyone is anticipating nvidias new 9 series cards. Some suggest they willie available before march. If you can't wait that long then put a little more money I to the GPU with a 8800gts g92 512mb. It runs cooler and gives performance comparable to the 8800 gtx while drawing less wattage and creating less heat than both the gtx and the gt.

Good luck with your build and I hope I helped some.

February 1, 2008 4:37:08 AM

Sorry for any typos. I'm typing this on an iphone ;/
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 2, 2008 12:30:27 AM

thank you for your info ^^ you're on an iPhone? OVERCLOCK IT! jk.

anyways, another roadblock i found would be the use of a x38 intel chipset. its not SLI compatable? can i run dual GPUs on a x38 (p35?) board? and as far as the PSU, im using it on my old system as we speak. works fine. a lil noisy, but with headphones on while gaming, i dont care ^^

as for gaming, some boards have dual gigabit LAN. what the heck is that? will it make my online games better? (MMORPGs)

any more info on boards would be helpful too. Asus Maximus Extreme any good?
February 2, 2008 4:38:27 AM

<----------------------
<----------------------
<----------------------
<----------------------
You See My User Name?

OK

Now Click on More Information...

OK

View His Configuration...

OK

YUP...Thats all you need for a great computer

Just in case your to lazy ill post it.....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Processor: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 Yorksfield Quad-Core 3.0GHz

Video Card: BFG Tech GeForce 8800GT 512MB DDR3

Ram: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333MHz

Motherboard: Asus P5E3 Deluxe WiFi-AP

Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower 1000W

Hard Drive: Western Digital Raptor X 150GB/ 10000 RPM/ 16MB Cache

Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 750GB/ 7200RPM/ 32MB Cache

Operating System: Windows XP Professional 64Bit SP2C

Sound Card: Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Fata1ity Professional

Case: Silverstone SST-TJ07-BW

Mouse: Logitech G7 Black Laser Cordless Mouse

Keyboard: Logitech G15 2007 Edition

Monitor: HP W2207 22" LCD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
February 2, 2008 4:42:08 AM

xann said:
thank you for your info ^^ you're on an iPhone? OVERCLOCK IT! jk.

anyways, another roadblock i found would be the use of a x38 intel chipset. its not SLI compatable? can i run dual GPUs on a x38 (p35?) board? and as far as the PSU, im using it on my old system as we speak. works fine. a lil noisy, but with headphones on while gaming, i dont care ^^

as for gaming, some boards have dual gigabit LAN. what the heck is that? will it make my online games better? (MMORPGs)

any more info on boards would be helpful too. Asus Maximus Extreme any good?

For the x38 chipset you can run crossfire (ATI) or 2 ATI GPU's

PS. To answer your question up top the best motherboard for me is the ASUS P5E3
February 3, 2008 2:39:40 AM

ok. so i indeed like your setup, now i know im goin with a q6600 intel quadcore because my returns aren't THAT big (Core2 Extreme qx9650) 1100 for just that is ... damn...

i plan on using the Ultra Chiltech cooling system, but worry about possibilities of condensation on/around the area of cooling. im sure Ultra has thought of that tho.

as for the Asus P5E3 thats an x38 board. i'd have to use ATI for the video setup? and if i went with dual 8800GT cards, it would not work properly... might as well get a HD3870 x2 =)

as for the 45nm setup on that board, can i even use a q6600? isnt that a 65nm processor? are they compatible?
February 3, 2008 2:48:11 AM

The 775 sockets are all the same so 45nm and 65nm.

If you go with an X38 then get 2 ATI cards. The 3870x2 is a great choice.
I'm not sure about the Ultra...looks cool, I'll give you a better update tomorrow :)  Might be better to get the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme, but idk.
February 4, 2008 1:18:02 AM

look at what that Ultra Chiltech cooling system can do. it's on par with some of the better liquid cooling setups. im kind of sold on it, unless i see a review on a better cooling unit.

thank you Silverion for the input on the 45nm and 65nm difference.

only issue with the x38 boards are the comparable ATI cards to the new 8800GT Pci-e V2 are almost double the price.
February 4, 2008 1:20:52 AM

well the 3870s are just on par with the 8800GT and 2 of them are just as good as SLI GTs

For the chilltec it looks good, sry didnt have time to look this weekend but it should be good.
!