ICH9R Chipset Support for Mixed Drive Types?

leeand00

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
My development box at work keeps crashing. We have a RAID 10 installed with four drives (also Windows Vista Ultimate and four gigs of RAM). Is there any reason why it might keep crashing? And what is the best way to restore it, since we keep waiting for it to rebuild itself and it crashes.

Also of note: the hdd's are not all the same type or brand. It has two WDC's and two Hytachies. (For whatever reason the RAID controller has selected to not use the alike drives together...maybe it has something to do with how we hooked them into the RAID controller? I'm starting to think you need to put a like hard drive on every other SATA port: I.E. 0 - Hytachi, 1 - WDC, 2 - Hytachi, 3 - WDC)

Someone at another site suggested that maybe the problem was that my RAID Controller (ICH9R) doesn't support multiple types of SATA HDDs on the same RAID Array, could this be the case?

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
heterogeneous arrays should work fine on any controller. Are you certain there isnt something wrong with one of the drives thats causing the crashing. Is the machine crashing or loosing power that could damage the array also? Also a few options in the controller BIOS to check ie. Write caching, block size etc.