8800GT not getting enough power?

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Power
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 8, 2008 4:56:31 PM

I just picked up my new BFG 8800gt OC and put it in my system...when windows boots up its telling the the card has be throttled back due to a lack of power....whats the deal... I am running an Antec Truepower 850watt powersupply...so I know it would be getting enough...I have 2 dvdr's, one HD and a E6750...thats everything in my system....what could the problem be?

More about : 8800gt power

February 8, 2008 5:05:27 PM

Have you plugged the PCIe power connector cable into the card?
February 8, 2008 5:07:49 PM

Yup...I double checked it too...is there anywhere I can go to check what the card is currently running at?
February 8, 2008 6:03:31 PM

Well I just triple checked to see if I had power to the card..and it was plugged in correctly...I dont know what the deal it..I tried taking it out and re-seating it ..... I flashed the card with the current firmware thats avaiable for it according to BFG....I was actually getting better preformance from my X1150 that this is replacing...which is actually sad....
a b Î Nvidia
February 8, 2008 6:47:37 PM

Try a different PCI-E power cable... your PSU should have more than one I hope.
February 8, 2008 6:52:24 PM

There is a fix out for some 8800gt cards that have trouble booting properly with some makes of PS. It is a timing problem. Go to Evga's website and read about it. They have a fix for their cards, don't know if BFG has or not. The Antec is one of the PS that has a boot problem with some cards.
February 8, 2008 6:55:16 PM

You should contact Antec or vid card manufacturer. I know I've heard this problem before but I can't remember to give you a definitive answer.
February 8, 2008 6:55:19 PM

So what should I do...I dont want to get a new power supply...this one is only a month old...
February 8, 2008 8:41:50 PM

embowe said:
So what should I do...I dont want to get a new power supply...this one is only a month old...

return it?

Ebay it and get something else?
February 8, 2008 9:20:29 PM

Well...returning it is out of the question ...bout it at CompUSA and all sales are final as they are going out of business...IF I did Ebay it how much would be a fair price to ask....
February 8, 2008 9:31:00 PM

embowe said:
Well...returning it is out of the question ...bout it at CompUSA and all sales are final as they are going out of business...IF I did Ebay it how much would be a fair price to ask....

Well, since it's pretty new, I'd say start around $220.
February 8, 2008 9:59:57 PM

Is there any patch/update in the works from BFG or Nvidia to remedy this problem?
February 8, 2008 10:42:07 PM

embowe you have tryed both pci-e ps connectors as jay2tall said!you have a warrenty through antec for at least a year,maybe even 2 year? could try one more thing before you rma to antec,and that is your video card came with power connector y cable 2 12 volt molex to 1 6 pin pci-e connector.you have nothing to lose I know it a long shot.

oh yha if you try this use 2 seperate rails.not same cable with two same molex.2 separete cables!
February 8, 2008 11:39:21 PM

OK..Ill give that a try...I called antec and they said that its a known issue with the power supply...and didnt offer any help beyond that...kinda seemed like they blew me off really....
February 9, 2008 12:29:36 AM

I use to have this problem when my pc goes back from sleep mode. Its gone now...

1) i updated my bios
2) downloaded the latest driver
3) run ntune on my pc

here my setup:
1) CPU: q6600
2) MD: Asus Maximus Formula
3) Mem: 4 Gbyte
4) PS: Antec Quatro 850W
5) GPU: BFG 8800GT OC 512

This is not a PS problem, at least in my case. There is nothing wrong with PS and it had more than enough capacity for my load.

February 9, 2008 12:50:15 AM

If I cant get it working by tomorrow..Im just going to return it for a 3870...I dont do that much gaming so I dont think I will have to worry about it...My local Microcenter has the Diamond 3870 for $199...atleast I would be saving 100 bucks..
February 9, 2008 1:03:18 AM

I called BFG and Antec about this issue. They have nothing much to offer. I'm just happy it went away after i downloaded updates for my Hardware.

By the way my PC OS is Vista-64.
February 9, 2008 1:14:53 AM

I have the most recent updates on the card and my bios...and I have run nTune...still no avail
February 9, 2008 1:35:29 PM

Well...after a night of reading and trying everything that I can think of I am going to have to return the card and buy somthing else..Im thinking of a 3870...It sucks that I have to go this route but nothing else I can do
!