Computer won't start, board posted, but heatsink fan not spinning

fallenhero

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
Going crazy...please help.

I built my new computer last night, however it won't start. There is power to the motherboard, because I can hear and see the fans when I turn it on, it also beeps when I pull the graphics card so I think the board posted OK, however the Heatsink fan doesn't move. It initially spins a rotation or two and that is it. It does the same thing when I power it off, just a initial spin or two and then it stops. Any ideas...I would be so grateful. Here are my system specs.

One thing I did notice on the power supply, and I'm sure this is normal or not, but on the 24 pin connector (the PSU has a 20+4) I noticed there is no wire going to to one of the pins, it is just blank, that could just be how it's supposed to be though

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
Rosewill RP550-2 ATX12V v2.01 550W Power Supply
4stick of - G.SKILL 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
APEVIA X-JUPITER-JR G-Type X-JPJGT-BK Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Thanks so much for your hel!!!, It's been a while since I've built a system..so frustrated!

mweidler

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
there should be two connectors on the MB. the 24 pin one and then another one thats either 4 or 8 pin. Its by the I/O panel.
did you plug the fan into cpu fan 3 pin connector on the MB?

rallyimprezive

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
Dont let that fans lack of movement distract, most HSF just "wiggle" once when the board is not functioning properly.

Process of elimination, start removing non essential parts and see when you finally get a solid boot.

And I personally do not know, make make sure that the board's current BIOS supports your chosen CPU. It should, but something to keep in mind.

EDIT: But do what mweidler said first. Im bettin that is the problem!

fallenhero

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
So grateful for the feedback! Yes I plugged both the 24 pin and the other I think it was a 4 pin power to the MB, I also connected the heatsink fan (3 pin) to the MB where it says CPU fan.

Do I need to worry about frying anything by keeping the power on for a few seconds when I test?

tato999

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Hey the same thing happen to me, and it was strange,

Result that the problem was my memory, try putting one stick of memory at time and see if its post, it work for me.
Try that and let me know.

After 6 months one stick of my Crucial ballistix PC6400 got damage and, I just quit it and everything is fine now, except that I only have 1Gb instead of 2GB.

Who knows what happen.

Also I read some reviews on Newegg and this happend to a lot of people in all brands.
Corsair, kingston, crucial, g.skill,mushkin, patriot,etc see it by yourself.

Sorry for me english im Working on it.

My system is E6750
GA p35c-ds3r
2Gb crucial ballistix
8800gts

Almost the same system.

believe me it works for me Try 1Gb at time maybe is one memory stick that is bad

G

Your problem might be that you have a crap PSU that just is no good.

That'd be my first guess.

Then I'd might try RAM. But I'm betting you got a junk PSU from a junk manufacturer.

mweidler

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
no, it shouldnt fry anything. it should shut down before that happens
I know its alot of work, I had to do it yesterday, so believe me I know.
But what you need to do is take the motherboard out of the case. attach the power cables to it. one stick of ram. videocard and cpu and heatsink.
thats it. no drives, nothing. see if it posts. If it does then you have narrowed it down tremendously.
once you know it posts with one stick. take that one out and put in the other. see if it posts. now you know you can at least get into the bios.

from there you can add things one at a time and see if it posts.
one thing I would do before I added things is run memtest86. it could be a memory problem. google it and you will find it. look for the bootable iso file. then burn it to a cd<use the burn image to disk option, dont just copy it. leave one stick of ram in and put the cd in your drive. turn on computer and it will boot to cd and memtest will run. run it for 1-2 hours on each stick, test 5 I beleive. if it tests with no errors your ram should be good.
then start adding things one at a time. my problem turned out to be the onboard videocard< I hope, its still running prime95 to test it>

also, did you attach the MB standoff's to the case? that could short it out.

but unfortunately, as I found out yesterday, there is no easy way to do this. I spent 12 hours yesterday doing it. no shortcuts and one step at a time or you wont narrow it down.

also make sure your heatsink is attached properly

good luck

Jaywill

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
I had a similar issue when I fired up my new build for the first time yesterday. I originally connected my 3 pin heatsink fan connector to the 4pin CPU fan connector on the motherboard like you did. I figured one of the pins just wouldn't be used. But when I powered everything up the heatsink fan wasn't spinning.

I moved the heatsink fan connector to a 3pin SYSFAN1 connector on the motherboard and it worked fine.

There is a fan option in the bios to have the fan spin when the CPU reaches a certain temperature. You can turn it off and have the fan spin at all times. I forget the name of the option right now.

Black$heep86

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
Have you tried testing it out the box like mweidler said? hes completely and utterly correct. this eliminates shorts from the case and allows for quick testing and trouble shooting and it not that much work.

On the ram side of things start with one stick first and then move up.
this happened to me once because my frontpanel wires where shorting. also one unpaired ram can result in problems like this in dual channels so i hear...

Good luck