MS Scanner and Camera Wizard

Can someone tell me how to get the MS Scanner and Camera Wizard to see my
camera's Flashstick when it's inserted into the flashstick drive after
installing a MS critical update?

This is from the MS camera.chm.lnk:

To link a program to a digital camera event
Right-click the camera, and then click Properties.

# We did that and it said "the properties for this camera are not
available." What now? All the software for this HP camera is installed
and updated. We never had a problem with it before. How do we get the MS
scanner and camera wizard to come up now when the flash stick is installed?

FS.........

On the Events tab, in Select an event, click the event for which you want to
initiate an action.
In Actions, click one of the following options:
Start this program: Select the program you want to start when the event
occurs.
Prompt for which program to run: Select to be prompted to choose a program
when the event occurs.
Take no action: When the selected event occurs, nothing will be started.
Save all pictures to this folder: All the pictures you select will be saved
to the folder you specify when the event occurs. To search for a specific
folder or drive, click Browse.
Click OK.
Notes

To open Scanners and Cameras, click Start, click Control Panel, click
Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Scanners and Cameras.
If the Events tab is not displayed, this feature is not available for the
selected device.
Some programs do not support linking to digital cameras. Linking is
available only with the programs that appear in Start this program.
You must have a camera installed and connected to your computer to view
properties.
20 answers Last reply
More about scanner camera wizard

    On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 17:23:11 -0500, ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:

    > Can someone tell me how to get the MS Scanner and Camera Wizard to see my
    > camera's Flashstick when it's inserted into the flashstick drive after
    > installing a MS critical update?

    When the disk is inserted into a drive, it is read as a drive - not a
    camera. Workaround: Check out Autoplay options in the drive's properties.
    Perhaps one of those options would be workable for you.
    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    > On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 17:23:11 -0500, ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:
    >
    >> Can someone tell me how to get the MS Scanner and Camera Wizard to see my
    >> camera's Flashstick when it's inserted into the flashstick drive after
    >> installing a MS critical update?
    >
    > When the disk is inserted into a drive, it is read as a drive - not a
    > camera. Workaround: Check out Autoplay options in the drive's properties.
    > Perhaps one of those options would be workable for you.

    ** Thanks Sharon. I did that (set to auto/pictures/copy pics to folder
    using MS scanner and camera wizard - clicked apply and OK) and inserted the
    flashcard - nothing happened. When I go back and check it it RESET ITSELF
    to *&^%$#@ music!!!!! How do I get the wizard to work again??? This is
    the flash drive. It doesn't play music!!!! It takes the flash card from my
    camera and has worked for over a year without a problem. Why does it keep
    resetting itself now to music? It will not stay set on "pictures." I
    work with a lot of pics and am getting DESPERATE! Please.. there must be an
    answer why it wont hold the scanner/camera setting.

    Thanks

    FS............

    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Why not just connect the camera to the pc with the USB cable that came with
    it? The drivers should be on the CD that came with it. You usually don't need
    to install the bogus Imaging software on the CD. Once recognized, the camera
    will be viewed as a drive in Windows Explorer or My Computer. Or you will see
    the camera in the list somewhere. From there you can copy the pictures to any
    folder you want. I prefer not to use the AutoPlay option. Once you get the
    hang of it, it's easy.
    --
    That's just like my opinion, Man........

    On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 01:17:31 -0500, ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:

    > ** Thanks Sharon. I did that (set to auto/pictures/copy pics to folder
    > using MS scanner and camera wizard - clicked apply and OK) and inserted the
    > flashcard - nothing happened. When I go back and check it it RESET ITSELF
    > to *&^%$#@ music!!!!! How do I get the wizard to work again??? This is
    > the flash drive. It doesn't play music!!!! It takes the flash card from my
    > camera and has worked for over a year without a problem. Why does it keep
    > resetting itself now to music? It will not stay set on "pictures." I
    > work with a lot of pics and am getting DESPERATE! Please.. there must be an
    > answer why it wont hold the scanner/camera setting.

    Did you know.... that you can just open the drive with Windows Explorer and
    access the folders and files on it?

    I never connect my camera and never use the scanner/camera wizard. I prefer
    the options my graphics programs and scanner software to what XP offers.
    For photos, I copy the images to the drive manually and then open them in
    my graphics programs. What XP offers are very nice basic tools but since
    they don't do everything that I need them to do, I just skip them.

    You might want to check your card in Explorer to see if there is a music
    file on the card. If someone else used it, they may have copied a music
    file to it and its presence could explain why autoplay keeps identifying
    music on the disk.

    PS: Why do you always seem to get the oddball problems?

    You might want to check out Kelly's site or Ramesh's to see what they have
    available to fix the wizard:
    Kelly: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm
    Ramesh: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    > On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 01:17:31 -0500, ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:
    >
    >> ** Thanks Sharon. I did that (set to auto/pictures/copy pics to folder
    >> using MS scanner and camera wizard - clicked apply and OK) and inserted
    >> the
    >> flashcard - nothing happened. When I go back and check it it RESET
    >> ITSELF
    >> to *&^%$#@ music!!!!! How do I get the wizard to work again??? This
    >> is
    >> the flash drive. It doesn't play music!!!! It takes the flash card from
    >> my
    >> camera and has worked for over a year without a problem. Why does it
    >> keep
    >> resetting itself now to music? It will not stay set on "pictures." I
    >> work with a lot of pics and am getting DESPERATE! Please.. there must be
    >> an
    >> answer why it wont hold the scanner/camera setting.
    >
    > Did you know.... that you can just open the drive with Windows Explorer
    > and
    > access the folders and files on it?

    ## Yes, I can and that takes several times the time it takes with the
    wizard. Also, the wizard allows me to name and date the whole batch of
    files per stick (65 pictures) - something I have to do one at a time, by
    hand using WE.

    > I never connect my camera and never use the scanner/camera wizard. I
    > prefer
    > the options my graphics programs and scanner software to what XP offers.

    ## I have nothing even close to the wizard. My graphics programs have
    nothing to do with downloading the pics from the flashcard.

    > For photos, I copy the images to the drive manually and then open them in
    > my graphics programs. What XP offers are very nice basic tools but since
    > they don't do everything that I need them to do, I just skip them.

    ## Thanks Sharon but I want to wizard to download from the sticks so I can
    date and name them as the wizard puts them in the proper folders.

    > You might want to check your card in Explorer to see if there is a music
    > file on the card.

    ## How do I check it in Explorer? How can there be a music file on a
    camera flash card? This camera doesn't play music. ??!?!?!?!!!??

    If someone else used it, they may have copied a music
    > file to it and its presence could explain why autoplay keeps identifying
    > music on the disk.

    ## No one uses my camera and my camera doesn't not play music. I don't
    understand how a camera can play music. This is a digital camera. You're
    kidding me right?

    > PS: Why do you always seem to get the oddball problems?

    ## Id they weren't oddball I could handle them myself. :-) I've had a PC
    since 1996 - do you see any of my posts asking for help w/W95 and W98 &
    W98SE on those MS NGs?

    > You might want to check out Kelly's site or Ramesh's to see what they have
    > available to fix the wizard:
    > Kelly: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm
    > Ramesh: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/

    ## I'll check it out.

    FS....

    "uggabugga" <uggabugga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Why not just connect the camera to the pc with the USB cable that came
    > with
    > it?

    ## I explained that in the post above.

    The drivers should be on the CD that came with it. You usually don't need
    > to install the bogus Imaging software on the CD. Once recognized, the
    > camera
    > will be viewed as a drive in Windows Explorer or My Computer.

    ## See my post above. The Wizard saves me a lot of time!!!!! It's supposed
    to work and did since 8/03, almost 2 years. I looked up the sales date. As
    component's fails in WXP are we to just look for some other way, even if
    it's extremely inconvenient?

    Or you will see
    > the camera in the list somewhere. From there you can copy the pictures to
    > any
    > folder you want. I prefer not to use the AutoPlay option. Once you get the
    > hang of it, it's easy.

    ## Sorry, no it isn't as it takes much, much longer doing it that way.

    > That's just like my opinion, Man........

    ## I would like the wizard to work as it's supposed to work. I work with
    many pictures and doing each by hand is a pain in the ass.

    FS.......

    > On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 01:17:31 -0500, ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:

    > You might want to check out Kelly's site or Ramesh's to see what they have
    > available to fix the wizard:
    > Kelly: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm

    ** He's got a lot of techie info there... what do I look for since nothing
    was changed before the problem started? I don't see anything mentioned
    about the camera and scanner wizard.

    Also as an example of the MS sites his page sends you to: Many times I
    can't follow the information because my version of W-XP-Home does *not* have
    the item. I don't have *Performance & Maintenance* on/in Control Panel.
    So the information is useless to me. Where and how would *Performance &
    Maintenance* be found on my version of XP-Home-Sp2 ?

    Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    2.Click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.
    3.Click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.

    > Ramesh: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/

    ** Nothing here about trouble shooting or fixing the MS wizard. Of all the
    information I've read in book and magazines on XP I never saw anything
    pertaining to this wizard.

    FS.......

    On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 00:37:27 -0500, ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:

    > ## No one uses my camera and my camera doesn't not play music. I don't
    > understand how a camera can play music. This is a digital camera. You're
    > kidding me right?

    Flash cards are disks. They can hold any kinds of data. However, if the
    disk is not used with any device other than your computer - then it should
    not have music on it. No kids here now but when they were still teens - all
    kinds of odd things happened with my "stuff" and no one could remember
    doing it ;)

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 00:37:27 -0500, ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:

    > ## Yes, I can and that takes several times the time it takes with the
    > wizard. Also, the wizard allows me to name and date the whole batch of
    > files per stick (65 pictures) - something I have to do one at a time, by
    > hand using WE.

    Try something like IrfanView that can do batch renames similar to the
    camera wizard.

    I realize that what you really want is the wizard working again. But other
    than trying the obvious things like reinstalling camera, I don't know what
    to suggest.

    The camera has to communicate its presence to the wizard (this happens when
    the camera's INF file is installed) and is successful if the camera uses
    WIA drivers. Your camera did this fine before SP2 so reinstalling anything
    camera related would be the first things to try.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    > On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 00:37:27 -0500, ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:
    >
    >> ## No one uses my camera and my camera doesn't not play music. I don't
    >> understand how a camera can play music. This is a digital camera.
    >> You're
    >> kidding me right?
    >
    > Flash cards are disks. They can hold any kinds of data. However, if the
    > disk is not used with any device other than your computer - then it should
    > not have music on it.

    $$ I assure you there is no music on my digital camera's flashcard.

    No kids here now but when they were still teens - all
    > kinds of odd things happened with my "stuff" and no one could remember
    > doing it ;)

    $$ LOL!!! I know what you mean. I raised a son. :-) It's only me and
    my husband these days, and he doesn't use this computer at all, for months
    now. He has his own which he's planning to replace with a Dell soon. He
    only uses this one if there's a problem with the network connections,
    usually caused by an ZoneAlarm update.

    FS........

    > On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 00:37:27 -0500, ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:
    >
    >> ## Yes, I can and that takes several times the time it takes with the
    >> wizard. Also, the wizard allows me to name and date the whole batch of
    >> files per stick (65 pictures) - something I have to do one at a time, by
    >> hand using WE.
    >
    > Try something like IrfanView that can do batch renames similar to the
    > camera wizard.

    $$ My husband uses that but it has no wizard and is little better than
    using WE. With the wizard I can unload pics in minutes and have them ready
    to work on. Without the wizard it's a *&^%$#@ all evening job.

    > I realize that what you really want is the wizard working again. But other
    > than trying the obvious things like reinstalling camera, I don't know what
    > to suggest.

    $$ Add & Remove All Programs seems to have a problem as well since it
    doesn't allow me to uninstall the camera. I just reinstalled the software
    and looked for an update - however, it's not the cameras drivers that run
    the wizard.

    > The camera has to communicate its presence to the wizard (this happens
    > when
    > the camera's INF file is installed)

    $$ Which it is for the camera to have worked flawlessly all these months of
    heavy usage.

    and is successful if the camera uses
    > WIA drivers. Your camera did this fine before SP2 so reinstalling anything
    > camera related would be the first things to try.

    $$ The problem started after a critical update before I installed SP2.
    But I don't know which update since I didn't work with pictures for those 2
    weeks. I'm afraid to turn on my scanner to find another hopeless problem.
    I don't believe using the system-restore would work since it only worked
    ONCE on this PC, and the next time we had to do a complete reinstall of
    everything. (We'd get an error that System-Restore didn't successfully
    restore the system. Yes it's turned on even though it seems pretty useless.)
    It was several days before all my software was reinstalled and working as
    usual...... I feel a super migraine coming on.

    Is there any way I can get the other setting to STAY since installing SP2?
    Those endless po-ups telling me updates and fire wall are turned off is
    driving me batty! I shouldn't have to turn them on every morning or after
    every re-boot.

    FS.......

    On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 11:52:24 -0500, ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:

    > Is there any way I can get the other setting to STAY since installing SP2?
    > Those endless po-ups telling me updates and fire wall are turned off is
    > driving me batty! I shouldn't have to turn them on every morning or after
    > every re-boot.

    Well, given the history of trouble with the camera and if it gets to this
    point... Reinstall Windows and SP2. Do not install the camera and its
    "stuff" until AFTER SP2 is installed and running. I *do* hope that you find
    a different solution before having to go that route though.

    Have you checked at the camera's website for sp2 related updates or sp2
    documentation yet?

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 09:47:09 -0500, Sharon F wrote:

    > Well, given the history of trouble with the camera and if it gets to this
    > point... Reinstall Windows and SP2. Do not install the camera and its
    > "stuff" until AFTER SP2 is installed and running. I *do* hope that you find
    > a different solution before having to go that route though.
    >
    > Have you checked at the camera's website for sp2 related updates or sp2
    > documentation yet?

    Would also check with them for an uninstall tool for their software that is
    currently "stuck" and not uninstalling.

    References illustrating the interdependency of camera drivers and ID to the
    wizard:

    Plug and Play Devices Do Not Appear in the Add Scanner and Camera Wizard
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293457

    Some Programs May Not Work with a Scanner or a Camera When You Upgrade to
    Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300462

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    > On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 11:52:24 -0500, ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:
    >
    >> Is there any way I can get the other setting to STAY since installing
    >> SP2?
    >> Those endless po-ups telling me updates and fire wall are turned off is
    >> driving me batty! I shouldn't have to turn them on every morning or
    >> after
    >> every re-boot.

    > Well, given the history of trouble with the camera and if it gets to this
    > point... Reinstall Windows and SP2.

    ## The cameras history was 23 months of working flawlessly with the MS
    wizard. The trouble started after a few critical updates but I don't know
    which ones. Wont reinstalling windows mess up all my other programs?

    Do not install the camera and its
    > "stuff" until AFTER SP2 is installed and running. I *do* hope that you
    > find
    > a different solution before having to go that route though.

    ## So do I as the wizard saves me so much time you wouldn't believe
    it.......

    > Have you checked at the camera's website for sp2 related updates or sp2
    > documentation yet?

    ## Yes, and didn't see any there - the problem with the scanner and camera
    wizard started BEFORE I installed SP2.

    FS ......

    > On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 09:47:09 -0500, Sharon F wrote:
    >
    >> Well, given the history of trouble with the camera and if it gets to this
    >> point... Reinstall Windows and SP2. Do not install the camera and its
    >> "stuff" until AFTER SP2 is installed and running. I *do* hope that you
    >> find
    >> a different solution before having to go that route though.
    >>
    >> Have you checked at the camera's website for sp2 related updates or sp2
    >> documentation yet?

    ## Yes and saw no mention of SP2/cameras - besides the problem with the
    wizard started BEFORE I installed SP2.

    > Would also check with them for an uninstall tool for their software that
    > is
    > currently "stuck" and not uninstalling.

    ## There is nothing on the HP website about uninstallers for their cameras
    if Add/Remove programs can't remove them.

    > References illustrating the interdependency of camera drivers and ID to
    > the
    > wizard:
    >
    > Plug and Play Devices Do Not Appear in the Add Scanner and Camera Wizard
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293457

    Plug and Play Devices Do Not Appear in the Add Scanner and Camera Wizard
    View products that this article applies to.
    Article ID:293457
    Last Review:October 18, 2001
    Revision:1.0

    SUMMARY
    If you use the Add Scanner and Camera Wizard to determine whether Windows XP
    has a driver for a Plug and Play scanner or camera, no devices are listed.
    Only non-Plug and Play devices are listed in the Scanner and Camera Wizard.
    MORE INFORMATION
    The Plug and Play device information is stored in .inf files, and these
    drivers are installed automatically when Plug and Play detects them. If you
    do not see your device in the list, check with the manufacturer for the
    availability of a WIA driver.

    ## I don't see what this has to do with it since it worked for 23 months
    without a problem. The wizard came up and asked what do with the pictures -
    it didn't ask about adding a camera or scanner.

    > Some Programs May Not Work with a Scanner or a Camera When You Upgrade to
    > Windows XP

    ## This PC has always had XP-Home on it.

    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300462

    ## HP only had hardware drivers to install but I don't understand how this
    will make a difference - and it can screw up my expensive camera (making it
    unworkable) if I do it wrong. There is no guarantee it will bring the
    wizard up again either. These MS critical updates cause more problems and
    waste more of our time than if some scum-ware invaded our PCs......

    FS.....

    Hi Sharon F & Freespirit. I have same prob with adding my digi cam, Sony
    DSC W7. No probs loading onto 98 and 2000PRO.
    It matters not how I go about instal/adding, as soon as I plug in the cam
    the screen freezes and so does the cursor. The disc will download OK though
    but doing that first makes no diff.
    I have posted in Digital Cameras in WinXP General.
    There is quite a lot there re cameras etc.
    Watch that space as well, Freespirit. May get another angle.
    Good luck
    Antioch
    'You cant educate pork'

    On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 22:38:25 -0500, ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:

    > ## I don't see what this has to do with it since it worked for 23 months
    > without a problem. The wizard came up and asked what do with the pictures -
    > it didn't ask about adding a camera or scanner.

    If you don't see it, sorry. I've run out of ways of trying to explain it.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 15:30:01 -0700, Antioch wrote:

    > Hi Sharon F & Freespirit. I have same prob with adding my digi cam, Sony
    > DSC W7. No probs loading onto 98 and 2000PRO.
    > It matters not how I go about instal/adding, as soon as I plug in the cam
    > the screen freezes and so does the cursor. The disc will download OK though
    > but doing that first makes no diff.
    > I have posted in Digital Cameras in WinXP General.
    > There is quite a lot there re cameras etc.
    > Watch that space as well, Freespirit. May get another angle.
    > Good luck
    > Antioch
    > 'You cant educate pork'

    I hope there's more insight there and possibly a solution for Freespirit.
    Once the camera/scanner and the wizard stop talking to each other there is
    not much a user can do to fix it. These fixes, if they're going to be
    available at all, usually come from the hardware manufacturers and those
    that write the device drivers.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 22:16:22 -0500, ~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:

    > ## The cameras history was 23 months of working flawlessly with the MS
    > wizard. The trouble started after a few critical updates but I don't know
    > which ones. Wont reinstalling windows mess up all my other programs?

    Yes, reinstalling would mess up your other programs. They would have to all
    be reinstalled again. This route is a lot of work and there are no
    guarantees that the camera/wizard combo would work when you were done.

    You know that this particular camera/wizard combo breaks if it's installed
    at SP1 level and then updated to SP2. You don't know how the camera and the
    wizard will behave if it's not added until after XP has been updated to SP2
    level. It's a lot of work to go through. Great rewards if the camera/wizard
    work when you're done. *But* will "stink" if it ends up that it changes
    nothing.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    "Antioch" <Antioch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Sharon F & Freespirit. I have same prob with adding my digi cam, Sony
    > DSC W7. No probs loading onto 98 and 2000PRO.
    > It matters not how I go about instal/adding, as soon as I plug in the cam
    > the screen freezes and so does the cursor. The disc will download OK
    > though
    > but doing that first makes no diff.

    ## I was able to install my HP camera without a problem. It's the Wizard
    that comes up when I insert the flash-card that stopped working. These
    "critical updates" are more trouble then they're worth. It took seconds to
    get the pics off the flash-card, batch named as a group,.. etc. etc.... now
    I have to do it all manually, 65 pics at a time. It takes over an hour now
    instead of minutes. All because of some *&^%$#@ update! Now I'm stuck with
    auto updates possibly screwing up my PC *or* coping with the constant MS
    pop-up balloons!

    > I have posted in Digital Cameras in WinXP General.
    > There is quite a lot there re cameras etc.
    > Watch that space as well, Freespirit. May get another angle.

    ## Thanks! HP has an update for my hardware (camera) but doesn't mention
    it's to make it work with Sp2. Also, if I screw up the update (it's not easy
    to do) I can ruin a $265.00 camera. It reminds me of flashing the BIOS,
    it's not something for the average PC user to tackle.

    FS~

    > Good luck
    > Antioch
    > 'You cant educate pork'