Most Compatible DVD Media?

BnetGhost

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
My main purpose is to back-up my children's DVD's. Also, I travel to and from friends/families houses bringing along my collection of Disney and Pixar films, generally running into 7-9 different DVD players at most. Ranging from $29 Walmart to $500 BOSE players. [Both Old and New!]

I am not looking for a super write speed, because I rather write one perfect quality DVD for 10 hours and not have one coaster, rather then 1 DVD for 10 minutes and have possible glitches. So write speeds, 1x, 2x, 4,x 8x is fine.

Lastly, I am looking for the most compatible DVD+R/-R media that will play on any home DVD Player.

I have researched and found the most generally compatible are the Taiyo Yuden and the Verbatim, but I am not sure. This is only two day's of research, where I normally do 2-4 weeks worth.

aarowsmith

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009

No DVD-R is not compatible with most older DVD players made before 2005, therefore I recommend with all my testing that I have done with dozens of old and new DVD players is that DVD+R is the most compatible burnable disc you can buy and use in all DVD set top players old and new.

Test it out for your self and you will see DVD+R media is the most compatible DVD format with all DVD players.

Do not use dual layer DVD media disc unless you know it will work with your DVD players, you could do a test first to see if it does play correctly. But dual layer cost allot more than single layer DVD+R media so it does not make sense to use it. You can always split the movie onto 2 DVD+R disc's for less money and time than dual layer DVD media, which really is a waste of anyone's time and money.

Burning speeds depends on your media and DVD burner quality, you can manually set to lower burn speeds in your burning software if you get errors like video checkering frequent hang-ups/pauses.

I recommend Nero software for burning all burnable media.

And most name brand DVD+R media is good quality and will work very well. Make sure to pick the media brand that works best with your burner, most new DVD burners will burn on all brand name media with out a problem. You can always return the crappy media that gives you problems.