Divinity0151

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
I used ClockGen to over clock my intel core 2 duo 6320 processor stock spped 1.87 GHZ to 2.00 GHZ ( I have a gateway PC, it locks BIOS settings). I noticed my CPU Speed was dropping BELOW stock speed every 10 or so seconds for 5 seconds then coming back to 2.00 GHZ. I restored ALL CPU SETTINGS TO STOCK SPEED AND DEFUALT and I still have this problem, the CPU Speed drops by 14.25 percent, this is not a lap top I'm using either. I don't know what to do if I don't get the solution here :( , I'm trying to avoid a system restore.

Divinity0151

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
Hmm, I just downloaded cpu info, and it shows your CPU speed in real time, and it shows a steady 1866 MHZ, without any drops. OCCT and CPU Z = 14% CPU speed drops. Weird...

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
It's call spedstep... It will do it automatically unless you shut it off, which you can't.

It's perfectly normal, and is used to conserve energy while at idle or low work load.

Keep that software overclock to a minimum or you will run into instabilities and ultimately, data corruption down the road. Not a big deal if you don't mind installing your OS every few months or so.

Divinity0151

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
Oh, I thought I damaged my CPU because I caused my system to go unstable ...twice...XD ( Epic fail, I know :p ). I'll turn it to 2.0 GHZ Again then. So happy, I just managed to OC my video card to teh max. Thanks sports.