Sign in with
Your question

Strange flickering sound when hooking up HDMI to 8800gt :(

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 9, 2008 1:31:24 AM

SO I finished bulding my rig :D  e8400 works fine in my P5k-e.

I bought a 17$ HDMI cable. (I read at several site that cheap HDMI cable are just as good as Monsters or other 80$+) hooked it up to my 8800 GT and my 47" LG.

When I went to HDMI input, I saw my screen but there was immediatly a strange static sound that scared (looked like it was breaking my speakers) Any idea whats causing that ?

(Ps the same kind of sound happened once when I brought my xbox360 to a friends house, he had a 32" LG and a 50$ HDMI cable, I started HAlo 3 and when the meteor crashes there was this huge griberish sound and I think since then his TV speakers are kinda broken)

Did it happen to anyone else hooking up theyre 8800 to a tv ?? Or is it because of the LG TV, or the cheap cables ??
February 9, 2008 1:44:58 AM

Is your vid card capable of passing the Audio from the HDMI? It might not. You possibly have to connect the PC audio out to the TV. So disble the HDMI input sound to the TV and enable the other audio input (depending what you use to connect).
February 9, 2008 2:37:15 AM

^^^ I agree. If your 8800 GTS doesnt have any s/pdif connection on it for audio then you wont get audio from the computer. Possibly you might get weird static. Alot of HDTVs only accept PC Via RGB. My manual on mine says it only supports PC through RGB but I plan on trying HDMI after I get a HDMI ready card. I dont see why it wont work, but then again if it did work then why wouldnt it be in the manual. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

My TV has 2 HDMI inputs. The main one is for Video and sound together. The second one is for Video only and has a spot to plug analog sound in.

If yours is set to recieve video and sound then I'm positive you are getting static since your card probably doesnt play sound. My guess is you are using DVI to HDMI adapters and thats not the signal the TV wants. Try it with a True HDMI video card or see if you have a secondary HDMI just for video feed on your monitor. Keep me posted, and I will do the same. If you are hell bent on using HDMI for max resolution all i can recommend you try is something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
It will allow Video and audio via HDMI. Most other cards like yours were designed for Video only to hook up to a regular PC monitor and not to a TV. Not very many geeks like you and me yet I guess. This is the only 8800 GT I know of that has this capability so far. There are older Nvidia cards and a ton of ATI cards that have this function.

Good luck.

Related resources
February 9, 2008 8:46:42 AM

Well now it all makes senses :( 

My card is http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=24790BD2837&v....

so it uses a DVI-HDMI dongle ! Dint really tought about the fact DVI doesnt output sound when I bought my HDMI cable to hook it up to the tv.

Now I have been looking it up and it seems my Screen will automaticly pick up the sound from the PC AUDIO input it has on the back. I hope it will work.

Now my only question left is this , if you look at that back panel (its not mine but it looks almost the same)

http://www.cnet.com.au/i/r/2006/hometheatre/TVs/2205484...

In the PC IN section, next to the VGA input theres an audio connector, is that compatible with my SPDIF output on my mobo ? Or is it only good for Left/Right audio channel cable like you have on a old tv ??

its got me all kinda confused lol. My user manual calls that step "Connect the PC audio output to the AUDIO(RGB/DVI) jack on the set."

Thx for the reply :p 
February 9, 2008 12:16:27 PM

Ok here we go. If your HDMI on your TV is a standard HDMI it will look for video and audio through HDMI. This is probably why you get static. You cant run HDMI for video and audio seperate unless you go from the S/pdif to Audo in, which could cause more complications. Connecting the PC audio output to the audio in the RGB audio jack wont do you any good unless you use the VGA video input. When you switch you TV to HDMI its ganna look for audio via HDMI. When you switch the input to VGA it will look for audio from the VGA audio input. On mine the only input that works is the green center plugin. Same one you would plug a normal 2 speaker setup into.

You have 3 options no matter what you try to do or think of.
1.) Use VGA and compuer audio in.
2.) If your computer has a HDMI with seperate audio channel you could use it for the video only and s/pdif to the soung composites. If you dont have a HDMI like this then nothing you can do HDMI wise.
3.) RMA your card and get the one I linked to earlier.

Recap you cant pull video from one source (HDMI) and audio from the pc input audio. They are to different sources. To use the PC audio source you have to use VGA.
a c 273 U Graphics card
February 9, 2008 6:38:54 PM

Poil said:
Well now it all makes senses :( 

My card is http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=24790BD2837&v....

so it uses a DVI-HDMI dongle ! Dint really tought about the fact DVI doesnt output sound when I bought my HDMI cable to hook it up to the tv.

Now I have been looking it up and it seems my Screen will automaticly pick up the sound from the PC AUDIO input it has on the back. I hope it will work.

Now my only question left is this , if you look at that back panel (its not mine but it looks almost the same)

http://www.cnet.com.au/i/r/2006/hometheatre/TVs/2205484...

In the PC IN section, next to the VGA input theres an audio connector, is that compatible with my SPDIF output on my mobo ? Or is it only good for Left/Right audio channel cable like you have on a old tv ??

its got me all kinda confused lol. My user manual calls that step "Connect the PC audio output to the AUDIO(RGB/DVI) jack on the set."

Thx for the reply :p 

Audio out from the pc (3.5 stereo jack plug) to RCA phono plugs into RCA phono sockets next to HDMI socket, perhaps.
!