Connecting another pc

tracey1

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
i have just had a windows xp computor for my daughters room ,i have a pc and 2 laptops all running off a router ,{all windows vista }i cant seem to connect the xp to it as well tried allsorts ,i cant remember a passphase either if i had to connect using that ,, can anyone help me please ,

tracey1

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
trying to connect it wireless ,now ive swopped over the towers ,hoping windows vista would pick up upstairs NOT it keeps saying adapter unplugged ,been on this 6 hours ... ty for reply

So is the issue that the computer does not see the adapter or that you don't know the password? Start at the beginning, list all the steps you took, error messages that come up, etc... Does the PC see the wireless adapter and showing you a list of networks to connect? What happens when you try to connect to yours?

tracey1

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
ok,, i have a main pc downstairs {windows vista which is the main pc ,we have 2 laptops all of which are connected to the router , i had a windows xp 2002 pc given to me ,which i thought great for daughters room ,so we set it up ,i thought it would pick up the router signal,i found a list of networks ,all of which mean nothing to me none of them was ours ,after 6 hours i tried reboot the system as its slow ,couldnt reboot so we swopped towers and have the windows xp downstairs connected to the ethernet cable, it connected but slowwww ,, now upstairs when trying to connect the vista pc it acknowledges the netgear ,router and the name of the pc ,but then it says oops it looks like a network cable /adapter has been unplugged ,, i tried a dongle it it before and it connected on the xp but internet wouldnt come on still {signal strength very poor }im at a loss no idea i feel quite stupid really ,, thank u for replying

If you open the network connection list on the PC, does it show yours? Is it attached to the wifi network? Does a laptop in the same room work OK?

It tells you a cable is unplugged because you don't have an ethernet cable attached, but that's fine if you are connecting with wireless. It's just a notification that the network card pops up.

Could be an issue with the wireless adapter if it shows other networks but not your own. I've seen some that do that. Does this adapter work anywhere else? Was it the same one that was working in the other area?

Is it an older one? May need to see if there are new drivers or firmware for it. If you don't see your wifi network in the list after that, you can try to change the security on the router to something like basic WEP or WAP (not 2), or even no security just to test things.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
You must be wired directly to the router for this
Go to Start-Run-Type in CMD <Enter>
Type IPCONFIG <Enter>
Look at the third set of numbers (Default Gateway)
It should look something like 192.168.1.1
Open up your Internet Browser
Type in the Gateway address in the Address Line <Enter>
This should take you to the Main Page of your router