Max CPU voltage range and overclocking

vangopra

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
This question has probably been asked several times but I searched the forum and couldn't find an answer. Thank you for your help in advance.

I have an E8400 and according to Intel's website, the VID Voltage Range is 0.85V – 1.3625V so I don't want to go over 1.3625v while overclocking. And I read about vdrop and vdroop and I understand what they do. But I am still confused about whether the max voltage of 1.3625v is referring to voltage in BIOS settings, voltage after vdrop, or voltage after vdroop.

richardscott

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
intels max vid is the voltage you read from cpu-z while in windows if while overclocking you set a voltage of 1.4 in bios and then in windows on cpu-z it reads 1.35 then thats vdrop. vdroop is when the cores are loaded to 100% and then 1.35 might drop to 1.33.

Either way your fine for 1.36v as read by cpu-zoverclocking a e8400 if you plan to keep it for a few years, that should allow you to get to atleast 3.6-3.8ghz.

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
Sorry that really didn't answer the question. Vid is the voltage value Intel stamps individual chips, so motherboards will know how much voltage to give when set to auto, or default settings.

The question is...

Is that max voltage value they are referring to, as set in the bios, or max voltage in cpuz. I have heard from some reliable sources here at Tom's, that both are correct, so I'm looking for clarification.

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
Ya man... I understand v-droop and drop. The problem is this: is the max voltage in cpuz (after v-drop) or is it max setting of 1.5 in bios. Because you can set 1.55 or more to get 1.5 in cpuz. Does Intel expect people or system builders to read the voltage with software are a multimeter?

richardscott

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
its the max setting as seen in cpu-z, intel doesnt expect anyone to measure vcore cos its only for overclockers. the max of 1.36 is when read by cpu-z so you dont reduce the life of the chip beyond the rated lifetime.

vangopra

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
yes..i understand that. my question was whether it is 1.45v or 1.3625v according to intel in the bios, or after vdrop.

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Its 1.45.

The VID range is 1.1000 to 1.2500.

The Voltage range is the 1.3625

And the Max intel voltage is 1.45

Though you can safely go over that, I wouldn't go over 1.45 loaded, unless you have great cooling.

Keep her nice and cool, and the voltage will be less important. But you still don't wanna go berserk with the cpu voltage.

Of course, you could ask the next guy, and he would say something differently!

:)

--Lupi

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
They are recommended as BIOS voltage settings.

When I said that I personally wouldn't go over the 1.45 volts while loaded. I meant CPUz value while running prime small ffts on all cores.

Obviously you'd want superior cooling if you feel like taking the voltage up past that. But barring bad temps, I don't think it will explode any time soon.

Basically, the temps will dictate your final over clock. Sad, but true. :)

--Lupi

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
You coulda asked Shadow! I am sick, hehe!

He likes to be pestered, so you should show no restraint when questioning him for his vast array of information!

Hehe!

--Lupi