need oc help!

Last response: in Overclocking
August 17, 2008 4:41:37 PM

hey guys this is the rig i currently have:

intel core 2 quad q6600 @3.2ghz
msi p6n diamond (X-FI sound)
4gig of OCZ oc 900mhz
Nvidia gtx 260 sli @ 714/1240

I want to overclock my cpu to around 3.6ghz but i cant get it higher then 3.2ghz. Does anyone no how i can oc to 3.6ghz?
if this helps. cpuz says multiplier x9 bus speed 356mhz rated fsb 1425mhz.

Thanks!

More about : question

August 17, 2008 4:57:10 PM

Not all chips overclock the same, take for instance my E8400 which maxes out @ 3.8 where as others have gotten theirs to 4.2 or more. What voltage do you have it set at? Have you increased the NB voltage?
August 17, 2008 5:16:05 PM

well i have the go stepping and the temps says at 33c idle 50c load.
i think the mobo or ram is causing it not to let me oc much it further.
cpu voltage i put to 1.5v mem voltage 2.10v nb voltage 1.45v sb voltage 1.6v
Related resources
August 17, 2008 5:17:22 PM

And... whats the VID? Use Real temp, or Core temp to find out.

Knowing the VID will allow you to guess at the voltage required for a certain speed.

And then, a NVidia chipset board, that alone makes the over clock very hard to get done, when going for higher speeds.

To test your VDrop and droop, you need to hit the Bios, disable all spread spectrum junk, all CPU options, including C1e, Speed step, and EIST if you have it.

Then you check to see what you have the CPU voltage set to in the Bios, once you know its value, you can boot to windows, and after a minute to boot, check with CPUz and see what your windows Idle Voltage is.

Once you know this value, run Prime 95 small ffts torture test on all 4 cores, and after a minute of running, list the lowest value you see CPUz list your Core Voltage as.

The first is Bios VCore to idle windows, and reflects Vdrop. The initial drop in voltage from the Bios to windows idle.

The second is the further drop in voltage from idle windows to fully loaded on small ffts. That reflects VDroop.

Knowing these can easily let you know where the voltage parts need to be!

--Lupi
August 17, 2008 5:20:34 PM

memory... you using 800 Mhz junk? At some point it will need to be changed. Go in the bios and put the memory mode to linked, and then the memory frequency to sync mode.

That way you'll need a 400 FSB before you even start to OC the RAM.

--Lupi
August 17, 2008 5:46:57 PM

Lupiron said:
memory... you using 800 Mhz junk? At some point it will need to be changed. Go in the bios and put the memory mode to linked, and then the memory frequency to sync mode.

That way you'll need a 400 FSB before you even start to OC the RAM.

--Lupi

Exactly why is DDR2 800 junk? and why will it need to be changed? DDR2 800 is the fastest official speed for DDR so any memory sold at 1000, 1066, 1333 or whatever is really just 800.
August 17, 2008 7:18:42 PM

i dont think its a voltage issue. many ppl with this same mobo struggle to oc the board. i think its a issue with the board itself.
!