Hello! i would like to OC my Q6600. I have 0 exp, can you help

jasjeet

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
hi guys, my first post and im asking for help :(

i just built my first PC and would like to OC my Q6600, i have done some reading and know that you guys need some info so here goes

My specs:
Asus P5Q Deluxe P45
Q6600 2.4Ghz
OCZ Vendetta 2 Cpu Cooler 120mm fan
Corsair Ram 2X1gb 800Mhz 5-5-5-18
Corsair 550Watt PSU
ATI HD 4850

My Q6600 has VID# 1.325 :pfff:

It idles at 31-28-24-26
100%load 46-46-42-42

I also have 2 exhaust fans and 2 intake fans in a Antec 300 case.

I have good computing skills i know my basics of getting in the bios and so on, but have little idea on what to do first and what values to change.

i also read in the manual for the Mobo that there is a swtich on the mobo to up the nb voltage - whatever that means.

also i would like my q6600 at about 3.4ghz but would that shorten the life span, if so would anyone know how much?

thanks for your help and reading this long post.

jasjeet

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
thanks man, its good having similiar hardware to go buy, im mostly confused about the ram ratios and stuff all the latencys and that.

jasjeet

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
u sik bre lol i just built my first pc on friday. ive managed to OC my gpu which is really easy.

just cant get my head around all the variables to oc the cpu

bpogdowz

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
A 15 or 16 year old does not have the time nessicary to really understand what the hell they are doing with a computer. They simply do not have the free hours to properly research and comprehend how to do it the right way.

I'd be willing to help you out but you really haven't given me anything except my core temperatures are x,x,x,x.

You want to get the tweak guides tweaking companion for starters. Maybe you will have some time before school starts out to read some or do some after school......

http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html

jasjeet

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
im on holidays lol until september 3rd so i have plenty of time.

tell me everything you need, i have already got the main prgrammes such as cpu -z core temp, orthos etc

i am really good with software this is the first time experimenting with hardware so i little confidence in what im doing.

jasjeet

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
2772251130_abe47c148a_o.jpg

jasjeet

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
will it display the voltage, then i could try lower it untill instability then raise it a notch or two to get it stable and efficient?

bpogdowz

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
There are hundreds of over clocking guides. I can't write a guide. I already told you to get tweak guide and optimize the system once that's done over clocking is near the bottom.

americanbrian

Distinguished
Just do this. I have a P5N-D and Q6600 (G0 stepping). Almost Identical to you.

Nice low VID as well. Your in luck.

Go to your bios, jumper free, overclock to manual.

In voltages set

NB 1.30V
SB 1.30V
RAM (whatever is stock for your ram, we'll start without oc'ing that first)
Vcore 1.45 (you will get significant droop/drop don't worry)

In FSB and RAM select

RAM mode Synch mode
FSB 1520

Save and exit, stress test while monitoring temps closely for a good few minutes.

IF your temp reaches 75 you are pushing it so you should shut down and drop the volts down a bit.

If you are unstable but the temps are ok crank the voltage up a notch or two.

Play a little. You can probably tighten the RAM timings a bit to 4-4-4-12 if its decent stuff. I have kingston hyperX 800 @ 1.95V though thats within its stock spec.

jasjeet

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
ok, that pic is a bit wrong because of speedstep, the real VID is so **** lol, 1.325V yes the ******** one lol.

so the voltages i guess will need to be higher than your system i would of thought so.

also if anything goes wrong like no boot, what will i do ?

jasjeet

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
also i heard that there is really small amount of Vdro and Vdroop on this board, members have said that they didnt have to mod anything to get rid of it, so i think 1.40V might be too much.

also the ram is a 1.8V according to CPU Z

americanbrian

Distinguished
Well, my friend,

I have my Vcore at 1.475 in my bios and reading 1.43 in CPU-Z. It is not too much unless your chip overheats. All CPU's are made equal, just some are more equal then others.

By this I mean you can't know what is too much without trying. Also if its WAY too much make damn sure that you have the CPU thermal protrection enabled at 85degC in your bios. This way it will just shutdown.

Now, look at the packaging on your RAM, NOT the bios settings, My ram booted on 1.8V but is sold as 1.95V for the given speed and timings. I had to "force these in the BIOS. CPU-Z reported the ram as inferior stuff, but in actuality its probably just speed binned and repackaged from their standard stuff, without changing the programmed bits that report to CPU-Z and BIOS

If it fails to boot 2 or 3 times usually your BIOS will automatically switch to the redundant one and boot at stock values. you then need to setup your OC again. This happened when I tried to take mine to 3.6GHz (booted into windows then blue screened., then refussed to boot twice, BIOS reset automatically and booted at stock.)

Anyway, you don't have to OC. if you want to I am willing to bet these settings in my previous post will get you started.

jasjeet

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
ok i did it lol
Vcore 1.38750v
NB and SB 1.30v

2818166864_0dde1b5ce8_o.jpg

why does windows only show 2cores oc'd? is that right?

ive disabled C1E too

jasjeet

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
also is it ok having odd fsb like 356mhz?

and is it ok to turn multi to 8 and have the fsb above the individual ram clock when all ram settings are set to auto?