I returned my 8400 today!!!!

Eternal

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Oh the humanity!!!

Screw Performance, I need to know what my cpu temp is!!!

I'm afraid to run windows calcuator without know my cpu temp.. To figure out how much money intel made off this bug!!!

:oops:

And AMD doesn't care about money? Considering they released a chip with a bug, albiet its not that big except in virtualization, and let out quite a few that may have a bad core and been slated for tri cores.

Obviously AMD knows about this and should replace those who got a chip with a defective core.

Either way the companies only care about the money.

But so far I have yet to see that many people with problems. I think its just over blown.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
I think all CPUS should be sold as is unless it just plain don't work. It pizzes me off to see all of these noobs RMA cpus till they get one that OCs just the way they want it to. Or RMA video cards just to get the newest one. If all these noobs werent so greedy and cheap we could all buy parts for alot less.

"OP" FYI your e8400 ran just fine at 3.0 stock, so you got what you paid for. Intel never claimed you would have success overclocking. Your such an idiot you probably didn't install your HS right in the first place.

gwolfman

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007

What heatsink and fan did you use? Did you try reseating it?

LukeBird

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
**** hell!!
First page and already it's filled with fanoy crap....
Plenty of people happy to slate AMD for Phenom problems, but are willing to fight to the death with regard to any Intel problems...

:non: :non:

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
This thread has nothing to do with a Intel problem. The CPU works fine at stock speed, just like Intel advertised. The noob had to juice the volts up to run 4.2 and it got hot. I guess someone didnt explain that to the OP.

Thanatos421

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
NO, NO, NO....the supposed heat issues of the E8xxx series boil down to bad temperature sensors!!! PERIOD! Noobs don't know how to use a digital thermometer that you can pick up at Radio Shack for 15 bucks and trust a sensor saying they're hitting 80c. It's a bad sensor, you didn't need to return the CPU, you just needed to find accurate temperature measurements.

It's really odd that even as much as this has been said and proven, that the majority of people ignore it.

The main difference between this and Phenoms problems are 1. This has a simple BIOS workaround that will not effect performance and 2. is not a faulty core that was supposed to be a tri core that QA let get out.

But either way the OP just didn't try. Look at ragemonkey. He tried the Phenom 9500 and 2 9600BE's and he got the same results on the 2 BE's so finally gave up. This guy just gave up.

Sad really.

mobo57

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2007
I am not a die-hard supporter or fan boy of any hardware maker. I buy the best product for my dollar/performance needs. If Transmeta came out with a kick but chip, I'd probably buy it if I need one. My first real hard core oc' experience was with the Barton 2500. From there I moved onward and upward, now I'm using Q6600's, E6600's and a X2 3800. I've owned just about every cpu family made by the big 2 except for the Extreme editions. Out of the several dozen I have owned, a few have been dogs, a few.
My rules:
1. Don't buy something when it first comes out. Let the leading edge group of p-heads break it first.
2. Don't buy a name, it means nothing.
3. Don't buy for looks, more performance is better than pretty LED's.
4. Follow the pack, they are usually right.
My observations:
1. If you are looking for faults, you will find them.
2. You can and will break it.
3. Nothing works just the way it should.
4. If you expect perfect performance every time, you will be sadly disappointed.
5. It is good to know the in and out of RMA procedures.
6. If you expect failure and achieve perfection, you will be pleasantly surprised.

dario77

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
It's called "sarcasm" -- not "crack".

I don't smoke and I don't drink: both are a waste of money.

right on, lawman! i don't drink and i don't smoke and i don't swear!!!
-well, sh*t...i mean i do drink and smoke.

Eternal

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008
Its a defective cpu period, your claims that we should just ignore the problem shows your bias towards intel. The fact of the matter is we paid good money for a fully functioning cpu, not one with bad sensors and bad HSF's etc. Amd did the same thing with the phenom, should we just ignore the problem because the errata will only occur in a rare virtualization??? This is about helping the consumer get what he paid for, not any fan boyism. Im just simply suprised that Intel would do something like this after all the fall out from the phenom fiasco.

Thanatos421

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
LOL, you calling me a fanboy??? I was an AMD user all the way up until my 6750 that I just built, so you can get that out of your head now. I'm simply saying, that the ONLY problem with the E8xxx series chips is a faulty temperature sensor. It will NOT affect performance AT ALL. And if you have half a brain, you can find your correct temperatures easily enough.

tricky trees

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
I know what Sarcasm is Supremelaw, the British invented it.
It was a joke you obviously didn't get ??
Woosh!! There it goes over your head.

Proof is in order!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well at least so far its just the E8400. But still its something that can probably be fixed in a BIOS patch or new version and am sure Intel wil replace them when they have a new stepping that fixes the problem.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
8400 Perfect Sensor its the applications that are wrong??????

It just dawned on me that eternal did start a thread on it. No screen shot to really say he had one.

Yet he doesn't have anything on that thread/post as far as hiss signature on that thread.

But on this one:

"Amd 6400+ ASUS M3A AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX DDR2-800x2g"

Is this guy just pulling our leg or something?? I mean he could have just replaced it with an E6xxx series chip, instead of getting a total rebuild of an 6400+ system.

Gawd, he should have just went AMD was in the first place.

Lord Gornak

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2008
Eternal, just out of curiosity, what are the exact details of the situation that caused you to return the CPU? Was it running stock? Did you overclock? Stock fan/heatsink or zalman, zerotherm, etc? Did you return it because of the thermal sensor issue? I hate hearing Intel sucks, AMD sucks, Cyrix sucks, VIA sucks without getting the full details of what exactly the issue is.

But Luke, aren't you supposed to come to Intel's defense with the same arguments of "overclocking isn't important" and the famous, "but is it fast enough?"??

jkjk, but seriously, jkjk

sprucebr1

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
This is an example of trying to do something without first researching how. This CPU (E8400) is running at 3.0Ghz stock. WHY would you go so far as to try and get a 1000Mhz overclock out of this? 3.0Ghz is an amazing frequency to begin with. Point is, the E8400 is fine at 3.0Ghz, when installed properly. There's no reason to push this to 4Ghz or more. The stepping won't make a difference in this matter. Intel is not to blame for someone's uneducated mistake.