e8200 overheating problems

smyffalis

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
hey, i recently got a new computer, a month ago and its been running well until today. i opened up my case to clean it, its an antec 900, because it was getting a bit dusty inside. i saw that my stock C2D fan was a bit loose, so i tightened it up.

i started up my computer and loaded it as usual. everything was fine. suddenly, it shut off. restarted it to read a bios message saying about my cpu overheating?! i havent overclocked my cpu or any component at all because i have no need to. i tryed taking out my fan and inserting it again but it hasnt worked i think. i noticed that the gel on it looks a bit dry. is there supposted to be contact with my cooler and cpu?

heres my relavent spec...

antec 900, keeps everything cool.
e8200 @ stock
P5K-C mobo.
in bios monitor, the rest of my gear stays at low (normal) temperatures below 25 degrees.

has anyone any advice on what to do because i dont really know what to do from here. is it a bios problem? please help.

Thanatos421

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
If you take off the HSF, you need to clean both the CPU surface and the bottom of the heat sink of all old thermal grease and reapply it before reseating. I would guarantee that's where your problem lies.

After that, also make sure you go into your bios and set the "warning" temperature higher. Find a digital thermometer at Radio Shack and find your true temps, as some of the E8xxx series have faulty thermal diodes. This could be causing your BIOS to report inaccurate readings. Either way, you would want to be sure that your HSF is doing it's job. Once you put new thermal grease on, and properly reseat the HSF, it should operate well within thermal specs.

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
you got a new pc a month ago with a E8200 in it. YEAH RIGHT. To this day you wont find a E8200 anywhere. You sure as heck aint get a pc with a E8200 in a month ago.

The stock fan doesnt "get loose" nor does it tighting up. Its a not a screw or bolt down cooler. The stock cooler is either pushed through the mobo or it isnt. No such bullcrap as making it tighter.

You sir are a phoney. A BIG FAT PHONEY

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
How about you actually click on the links to the sites. They have the cpu listed. But its not in instock or available. NONE OF THEM have it.

Go do a product search for the 45nm quads while your at it. Those things been listed on some online vendors for months.

Once again, A BIG FAT PHONEY

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
Maybe its a Pentium D 820... since he wrote "e820" and the E8200s are still MIA. I could see a Pentium D 820 having temp problems, but that would have happened when the HSF was loose.

-mcg

smyffalis

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
hahahaha just reading that made me laugh. only saw my typo there saying e820. it is infact the e8200 which i know is rare to find. i preordered it a month ago but the date i got it on was the 30th of jan i think, so i lied, maybe it wasnt a month ago... you could call it 3 weeks yeah?!?!?!?! anyway Thanatos421, cheers for the advice it helped me out and my max temp is much much lower now. i think the actual problem was the HSF not in properly, it was my first build after all and i saw my noob mistake.

n for the rest of you jumping to conclusions like. your all full of cack.

theres a few wee screendumps of it in cpuz, i can show you more photos if you dont believe me!!!

Capture.png

Capture2.png

someguy7. you sir, are full of she-ite

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Glad its fixed also. Your orginal post make you look like your full of... As you know now you dont actually "tighten" the stock cooler. Also once you take off the cooler or if it comes loose you need to re-apply some thermal paste.

And its ok to be a noob. Just try and make things as clear as possible in the 1st place. Then people wont think you where telling a fib