Displays -- Current Ratings?

switch495

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2005
The latest THG article on quality displays is from March of 2007 --- any chance we could get an update. I'd hate to go buy something expensive without seeing a the results of a THG torture test first.

If not, do we at least have a best of list like the VGA charts?

Also -- there's no 'Displays' Subsection... only graphics card related subsections.

switch495

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2005
The price difference amounts to 50 dollars each, and since I'll be buying in pairs I need to know if its worth the difference.

What makes the samsung better? Comparing specs they appear to be identical --- but im not up on lcd's.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

Color quality, color accuratecy, contrast ratio, response times and its just a better more accurate LCD.

switch495

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2005
So after looking for the best prices, I decided I didn't want to deal with shipping from new egg... if I got a bad panel (for those of you aware of the A panel S panel scandal) I wanted to make sure I could return easily without worrying about shipping

I ended up getting 2 of them at circuit city -- best buy had the 226CW, slightly better, but without the rebate :(

I've now got one of them set up, and now that I'm trying to check the panel type, it turns out that the "Service Function" screen no longer displays panel type!!!

Go here to see exactly what i'm talking about.
http://www.behardware.com/articles/667-1/samsung-226bw-a-and-s-series-the-verdict.html

I went to see which panel type my monitor is and theres just a blank space under 'Scaler- MCU: Genesis'

My version is: M-ME22W0BAA-1002
Checksum: 87AA

Can anyone tell me if I got the 'good' panel?

I havent opened my second monitor yet, i'm assuming they're both part of the same manufacturing lot.