Is Java PT Patch exe a security risk?

Still Learning

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
I found this folder C:\Program Files\Pocket Soft, Inc 8.00. It contains PT Patch Executable patch 321-1.50_10-b03.dll and patch-1.50_10-b03.rtp. When I used Control Panel > Add/Remove there are no JAVA files listed. I'm concerned because of what I've read online about Java not being secure and that executable files are often used by malicious websites. Can I delete this folder and it's contents without any problems to my system?

Solution
What you are talking about has nothing to do with Java, where did you get that info?

If anything you want to make sure your Java is updated all the time to ensure you don't leave any security holes. Bellow is some info on Pocket Soft, looks like some softare you are using is using this Pocket Soft to distribute updates. Don't see any issues with leaving it all alone.

"RTPatch Overview

RTPatch is the gold standard for creating and distributing updates for both in-house as well as massively distributed software and data. It is used daily in worldwide distributions from leading ISV's including Adobe, AOL, Intuit, McAfee, Microsoft, Oracle, Symantec, Trend Micro, etc. RTPatch is also used to update in-house and distributed software...
What you are talking about has nothing to do with Java, where did you get that info?

If anything you want to make sure your Java is updated all the time to ensure you don't leave any security holes. Bellow is some info on Pocket Soft, looks like some softare you are using is using this Pocket Soft to distribute updates. Don't see any issues with leaving it all alone.

"RTPatch Overview

RTPatch is the gold standard for creating and distributing updates for both in-house as well as massively distributed software and data. It is used daily in worldwide distributions from leading ISV's including Adobe, AOL, Intuit, McAfee, Microsoft, Oracle, Symantec, Trend Micro, etc. RTPatch is also used to update in-house and distributed software from corporations such as Actel, FedEx, Honeywell, Morningstar, PepsiCo, UPS, Xerox, etc.

Tens-of-billions of updates have been applied with RTPatch since its release in 1991, with millions more applied each day, around the world.

The diverse usability of RTPatch to update everything from PC games to business applications to software development tools is made possible by a rich feature-set that has grown through widespread, real-world usage.

RTPatch's patented byte-level differencing algorithm typically reduces the size of updates by 90-99%. "

Solution

Still Learning

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
OK, thanks for your reply. I realize it's wise to keep Java updated. In fact I was trying to find out which version of Java I had when I found that inside C:\Program Files\Java there is another folder containing Pocket Soft, Inc 8.00. Strange that it's in there yet has nothing to do with Java. Looks like I have more investigating to do but since my system is running well I won't delete it.