nel89

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2008
I'm building my own case and will probably use a 220mm A.C. fan to suck the air out the case and dump it outside my house so that my room will not get hot.... My ??? is, is it possible for me to remove the default fan from the power supply... Is the power supply will not notice that I remove the fan... By the way, the 220mm A.C. fan will be attached to power supply so there is no way it will overheat....

Mondoman

Splendid
Since a power supply is normally about the size of a 120mm fan, I don't know how you plan to attach a 220mm fan to one, let alone why you would expose yourself to the dangers of exposing high-voltage circuitry by disassembling a PS.
Why remove the PS fan, anyway? It shouldn't significantly slow any airflow. Just set up your AC duct to cover the PS exhaust grill (and perhaps a 120mm additional grill in the case) and go with that. The only problem I can see is noise from the airflow.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Outside your... house????

What.. you live in the utility room? Just trying to imagine the kind of exhaust duct your doing to the wall. Like for... dryer exhaust?

220mm AC fan? Is that powered by just plugging it to the wall?

The sheer size of that. Dat's big. :lol:

Here's a pic I found on a 220mm fan for a case mod:

220mm fan mod

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

I'm confused.... Do you mean a 220 VAC fan or a 220 mm fan, or both? If a 220 VAC fan, how are you planning to power it inside of your PSU? And how are you planning on ducting this air outside your room?

nel89

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2008

I'm using a x-finity 500 watts and it feels like an oven inside my room even if its winter... actually the fan is on my bedroom window (220mm 120watts A.C.) and yes i'm using that silver hose to attached to my psu and wala, no more heat in my room I can actually close my door.... The problem is the 220mm has a lot of cfm compare from the fan of the psu ... meaning, its pointless for me to leave the default fan inside the psu.... Now, is it possible for me to take out the default fan in the psu

nel89

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2008
since i'm dumping the air outside my house the noise is very minimal hard to believe that my case fan is a lot noisier than 220 A.C. fan... so noise is not a problem... so can anyone pls. answer my ???

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
So.. your trying to figure out a way to get more CFM through the whole case (most negative pressure), by taking out the PSU fan out, so you have less resistance of airflow?

Well... your in a unique position, in having a window fan. I'd say just experiment with it. It sounds logical that you could turn that window fan into like a vacuum to suck all the hot air out of the PC case to the outside of the house. Its just really hard to say how well it will work.

So ya, you can take the PSU apart (voids warranty), and disconnect the fan(s) in it and take them out, but you have the chance that your window fan may not be able to coupe with trying to pull enough air to keep the PSU cool (could over heat it). Not to mention how the silver tube will have leaks, so that would affect the negative pressure your trying to get.

nel89

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2008

I will have two 120mm (78 cfm X 2 )case fan blowing in and I did seal the whole case (also the aluminum hose) so that the air will only get out to power supply and plus the 220mm pulling it... I made a lan box, mobo only on top the rest is on the bottom and the case fan is on the top of the mobo so it will have a good air flow...

nel89

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2008
so when it comes on fan the only bottleneck is the psu fan that's why I want to get rid of it,, but thanks for a quick response....