Active-X

We do not know about Active-X and wonder what it is. Can someone explain in a
few sentences?
How can we tell if we have it? Is it needed or not needed on our notebook
(WinXPsp2; IE6; Norton Internet Security 2005)?
2 answers Last reply
More about active

    What is ActiveX?
    http://www.active-x.com/articles/whatis.htm

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "AliceZ" wrote:

    | We do not know about Active-X and wonder what it is. Can someone explain in a
    | few sentences?
    | How can we tell if we have it? Is it needed or not needed on our notebook
    | (WinXPsp2; IE6; Norton Internet Security 2005)?

    It/they are small programs ("controls") that are run from your machine that
    integrate with some web sites. e.g. the Windows Update site uses an
    Active-x control to determine what updates your computer has or needs, then
    makes the web site display the appropriate links for the updates.

    It is not something that is necessarily already present on your computer
    (you can block them/disallow them). They are downloaded as needed and
    depending on your browser security/firewall settings, the browser will
    prompt/alert you if it is downloading an Active-X control.

    "AliceZ" <AliceZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > We do not know about Active-X and wonder what it is. Can someone explain
    > in a
    > few sentences?
    > How can we tell if we have it? Is it needed or not needed on our notebook
    > (WinXPsp2; IE6; Norton Internet Security 2005)?

Internet Security Activex Microsoft Windows XP