Active-X

July 28, 2005 7:45:07 PM

We do not know about Active-X and wonder what it is. Can someone explain in a
few sentences?
How can we tell if we have it? Is it needed or not needed on our notebook
(WinXPsp2; IE6; Norton Internet Security 2005)?

More about : active

Anonymous
July 28, 2005 10:04:31 PM

What is ActiveX?
http://www.active-x.com/articles/whatis.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"AliceZ" wrote:

| We do not know about Active-X and wonder what it is. Can someone explain in a
| few sentences?
| How can we tell if we have it? Is it needed or not needed on our notebook
| (WinXPsp2; IE6; Norton Internet Security 2005)?
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 4:17:06 PM

It/they are small programs ("controls") that are run from your machine that
integrate with some web sites. e.g. the Windows Update site uses an
Active-x control to determine what updates your computer has or needs, then
makes the web site display the appropriate links for the updates.

It is not something that is necessarily already present on your computer
(you can block them/disallow them). They are downloaded as needed and
depending on your browser security/firewall settings, the browser will
prompt/alert you if it is downloading an Active-X control.

!