Intel to launch six core CPU

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
The Inquirer reports:

CHIP FIRM Intel is preparing to introduce a six core chip called the "Dunnington", a processor that will pave the way for its Nehalem architecture later this year.

According to Eclipse, the “Dunnington” was designed in Bangalore, and will use three dual core 45 nanometre Penryn processors with a shared 16MB L3 cache.

It will use the “Clarksboro” chipset, the report said.

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/02/23/intel-readies-six-core-chip

As an AMD fan, I've wondered why AMD couldn't do quad cores at 65nm like Intel, but read somewhere that hypertransport made that unworkable. Now, isn't nehalem supposed to have Intel's version of hypertransport? Then, how does this pave the way for nehalem if it's 3 dual core CPU's in one package? Will it rely upon the fsb to communicate with memory?

All very interesting, if true. If AMD did the same, we could see six cores made from two Phenom 8xxx's in one package. Makes me think that 8 core Intel CPU's aren't that far away, even if they're the nehalem equivalent to the Pentium D or Q6600 in packaging. This will be more bad news for Phenom, unless AMD pulls a 45nm rabbit out of it's hat.

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
Interesting.

I'm a bit dubious about the 3 dual core Penryns claim, from all accounts Nehalem will be a 'native' design from 2 core all the way to 8 core.

It's The INQ, they get so many things wrong, I'll assume guilt until proven innocent in their case. ;)

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

The thing is, that AMD dont do a quad core like Intel, as Intels Quad cores are almost a year older and still faster. !!!!!!

Im not flame baiting, this is the truth..............

Anyhow you watch, Intel will go on to 8 core, then 12... I dont think that Intel will let them selves fall behind again like they did with the Prescott / AMD 64 times.

Ive seen pictures of a 80 core processor plugged in to a socket 7 motherboard running xp, from Intel....

Just waiting for the 128 bit processor, they must be in their labs by now waiting for software to catch up.....

PS Why arent we all just running 64 bit os right now.......

Microsoft should have had xp and vista modified with major service pack with a dual kernal mode with one for compatability with the old and futurising the new applications with a 64 bit one....Nothings impossible with software...
As for the drivers have dual mode built in with far more compatability thrown in.....
Why cant software people get together and get this right

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
the fundamental fact is, vista should have been 64 bit only, or 32 bit only - forcing the matter

if by paving the way to nehalem, they mean, the product right before - ie the last penryn, then yes their information might be correct - but what was descrbied in that article was nothing to do with nehalem itself unless i am VERY much mistaken

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
Interesting... hopefully can hear mroe about this as I may hld back off one of their new penryns if this is coming out in Q3 or earlier.

Doubt it will though...

paranoidmage

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Nehalem will use native 2, 4, and 8 core designs. They will be using the same strategy as AMD then.

I not sure if I need 4 core now, six would be too much for me. I guess there are some people who could really benefit from this though

Looks like FUD.

4340-pen1.jpg

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Toms initial review of the 45nms showed a picture that showed that 8 cores would actually fit. Im sure Intel could make a 6 core 45nm. It will fit on the die and the power usage should also be ok. The issue is the FSB on 6 cores. The FSB would probally be a bottleneck for 6 cores but I think the extra 2 cores would still add a nice performance gain.

The main thing is will Intel actually make this cpu. Right now they dont even had the mainstream quad 45nms out so Intel attempting to bring a 6 core cpu doesnt seem likely.

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
Why not? If it works people will buy it. If they would they wouldn't bring it out the same time as the quads, they want you to buy those then have to upgrade later on.

Then of coarse buy new intel mobos to support their new ones in Q4.

Ycon

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
6 cores COULD make sense when you consider the triple-channel mem interface. Yea, the point IS dumb, but hey.

But why make 6 when you can make 8?

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007

Neither can I, but I the diagram basically sums it all up:

kaigai394_01l.gif

This could easily be bogus, but it is interesting.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
Nope... this is certainly true. Its based on Penryn core, codenamed Dunnington.

JK onced said the die shot looked very amazing... :p

EDIT: It was planned as a bridging solution between Penryn quad core and Nehalem Beckton.

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007

Yes, the diagram seems to have a few inaccuracies. I personally still have my doubts that this Dunnington thing is real. I mean why haven't we heard of it before now?

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
They would go to 6 before 8 because this cpu would still be based on intels current FSB. And 8 cores at 45nm would be tuff to pull off also. Between them sharing the FSB and the power usage/heat it would create would be bad. Im not sure but think intels roadmad for 8 cores isnt till 32nm Nehalem.

A 45nm triple whooper with cheese cpu should be able to work well. It would not take much more silicon space then 65nm quads. A 2.6ghz triple cheeseburger should be able to peform well even with the FSB. It also shouldnt draw more power then current higher clocked quads.

I could see Intel releasing a 6 core penryn a couple months before nehelam. As long as it would work on the current mobos that support 45nm quads it would be a success for those people that use programs that take advantage of multi core.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Thanks, I tried to do a quick search on Google to get the translation, but I couldn't find it quick enough, so I said to he!! with it.

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006

I'm pretty sure this is a server CPU. Being as such, it'll be interesting to see how much the FSB bottlenecks such a chip, since we are already seeing FSB bottlenecking on server workloads even on quad core Xeons.

Of course this chip has 16MB L3, which may offset the bottlenecking somewhat.