Flustered over new vga/mobo/processor combo. :|

underbyte18

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2007
I will come out right now and say it, that I do like Amd over Intel, despite me knowing they kick ass. So now that is out of the way...

I was thinking about purchasing the 780g gigabyte motherboard for about $100 on newegg. Now that a friend wants to but my 5000+ processor, I want to also upgrade my processor. I am having a terrible time figuring out whether a 9600 Phenom would be better over a 6400+ X2. I do some adobe work and I realize that SUPCOM will run better, but according to TOMS cpu chart, the 9600+ is only marginal performance increase over the 6400+.

My new setup will have

2x2gb gSkill
8800gt SC
razer barracuda soundcard
Lanbox lite Micro-atx case
raptorX 150gb

The thing I would like help on is whether there is a better performing CPU/micro-atx Mobo combo out there that is either intel or AMD.

Which is better, the 790fx or the 780g for gaming? I know the 780g is great for an HTPC, but what about gaming and light editing? Keep in mind I decided on a micro-atx because of constant traveling.

Are there any new amd processors coming out that I should buy then?

Sorry for the mass of Q's everyone, thanks :pt1cable:

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
If the 5000+ is a black edition, overclock it as high as it will go, maybe able to get almost the performance of a 6400+, what's more it's free performance.

Maybe even pick up an AM2+ mobo, later when K10 matures, hop to the phenom when B3 has shipped out, or when clocks go up as well. Or go intel as they are supposed to be the better performer now. But AMD might have better upgradeability.