Sign in with
Your question

worth an upgrade to a 3850 or 3870?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 10, 2008 7:23:28 AM

I want to be able to play ut3 with better framerates than I am getting, plus better framerates for all games.

I have a p4 w/ HT 3.0 ghz and a x1950 pro and am wondering if I would really get the expected performance gains by getting a better card like the 3850 or 3870, or if the cpu would bottleneck the system.

I know that getting a 8800gt would be a waste of money because my cpu would just squelch its potential, but I heard that ati cards rely less on the cpu.

The reason I am not getting a new build is because I am waiting for nehalem, and also just don't have the money for a new computer

Thanks in advance for any input
February 10, 2008 7:59:10 AM

Yeah a 3850 512mb or a 3870 512mb will be a huge improvement over the x1950, even with the CPU bottlenecking it, especially in newer games like Call of Duty 4 and Crysis. Plus, when you get your new rig built, you already have a bad ass card to use. A OC might be in order to give you some more oomph.

You might want to check and see if your board supports a e21xx series CPU, they are a lot better than what you have and they are really cheap ~$70
a c 147 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
February 10, 2008 12:03:39 PM

is your board AGP or PCI-E? The 1950 pro comes in both flavors.

Also, like Indigofungus said, see if your board supports a e21xx series CPU. Some of those boards will take the upgrade. What board do you have?
Related resources
February 10, 2008 1:50:14 PM

Dont waste your money. That CPU is going to brick wall your graphics.
February 10, 2008 2:19:05 PM

My chipset is 925x express, and even though its a high end chipset its an old one and as far as I can tell from intel's website, it only supports p4 and p4 extreme edition.
February 10, 2008 4:12:25 PM

jerseygamer said:

this is exactly right... I had a P4 3.2GHz w/ HT (Prescott 755socket) and an 8800GTS 640, 2GB DDR2 RAM, evga 680i SLI board, 74GB Raptor... even the DEMO with graphics turned down LOW loaded slow as heck and i couldn't get near the framerates I was hoping for...

I've since upgraded my processor to a 1.8Ghz e4300 Core2Duo, overclocked to a prime/orthos stable 2.7GHz (and climbing), and i'm MUCH happier with my framerates, using the same hardware...

I advise you consider a system overhaul, rather than a graphics card update... if your mobo is 755 and C2D compatible, life is easy... otherwise, get ready to shell out some cash...

and i LIVE for the UT series (check out my clan's site at www.1radpc.com/ut ), i'm selling my graphics card to get the 9-series (possibly) and upgrading to a Q6600 because i have a tri-monitor setup and am currently only utilizing 1 of the 3 because it's such a hungry game...

trust me, a graphics card won't get you anywhere unless upgrade the processor
a c 147 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
February 10, 2008 4:23:42 PM

mayor_mccheese said:
My chipset is 925x express, and even though its a high end chipset its an old one and as far as I can tell from intel's website, it only supports p4 and p4 extreme edition.

Yeah then you are better off waiting to get a new board and CPU. Anything higher is going to bottleneck like mad.
February 10, 2008 4:26:47 PM

jerseygamer said:

What he said
February 10, 2008 5:10:47 PM

Thanks guys I really appreciate the responses. Perhaps my old p4 is even bottlenecking my current card (the x1950pro) haha.

So from all your advice the conclusion is to get a new system. If I didn't have a dell, it would be pretty cheap to just grab a new motherboard and cpu, but since I knew nothing about computer hardware 4 years ago I bought a dell. So I'd have to get a new case and new OS too.

So rather than do all that now and then replace the motherboard for nehalem in a year I may just wait. (although the case and OS I would recycle through other systems but I'm hesitant whether to get vista or xp).

An alternative choice would just be to go ahead and get a new system and not upgrade until the refresh of the new architecture (32 nm afaik)

@truromeo4j uliet: Yes I love ut also, a few of us at UnrealPlayground play ut99 ctf on friday nights http://www.phanz.com/NOP/html/ . I remember when ut99 was the popular game and you could really have a lot of fun playing.
a c 147 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
February 10, 2008 5:50:55 PM

Your current system probably is bottlenecking your 1950pro. I believe the fact the it is AGP and not PCI-E is also bottlenecking it. A Dell.. no no, your next one must be a McCheese special. You may as well just get Vista for any new systems. If you currently have XP i would just hold off until you have to upgrade. You can get a good system for $1000 with OS and all. If you are in the US you will be getting that Government Economic Stimulus Package Check. Throw a few hundred onto that and you got yourself a system.
February 10, 2008 6:11:43 PM

jay2tall said:
Your current system probably is bottlenecking your 1950pro. I believe the fact the it is AGP and not PCI-E is also bottlenecking it. A Dell.. no no, your next one must be a McCheese special. You may as well just get Vista for any new systems. If you currently have XP i would just hold off until you have to upgrade. You can get a good system for $1000 with OS and all. If you are in the US you will be getting that Government Economic Stimulus Package Check. Throw a few hundred onto that and you got yourself a system.

My card is PCI-express, but it feels nice to know that I may get some more juice out of my current card if I do get a new system. What is this Government Economic Stimulus Package Check you speak of?
a c 147 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
February 10, 2008 6:28:45 PM

mayor_mccheese said:
My card is PCI-express, but it feels nice to know that I may get some more juice out of my current card if I do get a new system. What is this Government Economic Stimulus Package Check you speak of?

Don't you pay attention to the news dude? Or general goings on in the nation? Read this link:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080208/ts_nm/usa_economy_s...;_ylt=Aky5DJRFmeegKkuh3F2BqCh34T0D
a c 147 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
February 10, 2008 11:11:38 PM

You have to have filed a tax return and make at least $3000 last year i think. I don't believe it matters if you are still a dependant.
February 11, 2008 9:20:48 AM

awesome, thanks for the information jay
a b U Graphics card
February 11, 2008 9:28:28 AM

You could still get that card and see better performance, but the cpu will still be a bad bottleneck
February 11, 2008 11:17:58 AM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
You could still get that card and see better performance, but the cpu will still be a bad bottleneck

My main reason for getting a new card would be so ut3 is playable. Right now I get 30 fps or below, and it is not smooth at all even on the lowest of settings. Other games like cod4 and bioshock I get 50-60 fps, so I think getting a new card for ut3 will not help much because it seems cpu related. I'll most likely get a new rig and use my current card first before I get a new one.
!