Sign in with
Your question

3870X2 latest CCC and drivers

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 10, 2008 3:45:59 PM

Since installing my 3870X2 ive been using the drivers that came on the disk. I know that these are older than the latest ones on the ATI site but ive heard that people have had problems with the latest drivers such as getting no visuals whilst/after first installing them. I thought that these problems were limited to Vista only though. Also, on the site there isnt an area for drivers for the X2, only the 3870, im guessing that the drivers are still the same.

Anyone know of any problems concerning the CCC8.1 and drivers and the X2 on XP? If it is only Vista that has the problems ill update now!

Thanks
February 10, 2008 6:57:17 PM

8.1 supports the 3870X2's. The next release is said to support CFX
February 11, 2008 4:07:21 PM

Ok, thanks. Ill try the new drivers. Maybe when CFX is supported i could buy a second X2...not sure if my Asus P5E would support it though (i know it supports twin 3870s).
Related resources
February 11, 2008 5:02:44 PM

8.2 is supposed to be out this week. It will NOT have crossfire x support, that won't be until 8.3. As for the drivers that came with your card vs. the ATI drivers, go with the ATI drivers, I've seen nothing but good from them on all the review sites that used 8.1
February 11, 2008 5:09:33 PM

Thanks Death, im pretty sure now, after reading around, that the problems only occur on Vista.
February 11, 2008 5:21:27 PM

No problems here with those drivers on Vista x64 and a P5E3 mobo. Tested the sample 8.241-2 driver floating around to enable Crossfire with two 3870x2 but it still lacks the option to enable or troubleshoot it when all 4 GPU's are recognized.
February 23, 2008 4:09:30 AM

haydox said:

Anyone know of any problems concerning the CCC8.1 and drivers and the X2 on XP? If it is only Vista that has the problems ill update now!

Thanks

I have an MSI overclocked 3870x2 on Vista Home Premium, and the only issue I've had involves flickering water with pixel shaders enabled in Morrowind. I tested KOTOR, fine. I tested Oblivion, great. I installed, updated and setup Lord of the Rings Online (and will actually play tomorrow morning), and there are no issues yet. Tomorrow night, I'll give The Witcher a try.

I did not use the drivers on the diskette. I downloaded the latest catalys immediately after installing the card last Thursday. So, they're the latest available as of today.

Since I'm at work, I don't have the revision number, but I can get it in the morning. Overall, the 3870x2 has been great; 50-60 fps in Morrowind and KOTOR, 60+ fps outdoors at max quality in Oblivion. Something well over 9000 in 3DMark 06 (I have the image on the 3870x2 pics and benches thread, but it's on Photobucket, which is blocked at work).

I'm CPU limited with an Athlon X2 4600+ at 1024 x 768, so I'll see how things change when I get at least a 1680 x 1050 20" LCD next month. If the CPU's limiting the card, then I might get more fps. At this point, it all looks good with both old games I enjoy playing and the few new titles I picked up after getting the card.

Hope you have no issues with the drivers under XP. Vista is a nightmare to network with XP boxes, but it's not bad for gaming. Can't wait to play LOTR online tomorrow, as I enabled the DX10 patch. It will be the first DX10 experience since I got Vista last February.

haydox said:
Ok, thanks. Ill try the new drivers. Maybe when CFX is supported i could buy a second X2...not sure if my Asus P5E would support it though (i know it supports twin 3870s).

I'd wait till June. Nordic Hardware says the 4870 will be 50% faster than a 3870, that's the same range as the 3870x2, so a $299 card would give you CrossfireX with 3 GPU's, or $499 would give you a 4870x2 alongside the 3870x2. That alone makes me want to get a new board and quad core CPU later on this year!
!