How to make a USB disk bootable

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi,

My laptop doesn't have a floppy drive but the BIOS supports booting directly
from a USB. I downloaded the HP program that supposedly formats a USB as
bootable. However, without a floppy drive I obviously cannot copy a boot
floppy onto the USB. Does anyone know how I can get the boot files onto my
USB so I can boot to a DOS prompt? I think I saw a disk image to do that
with but all it did was give me a Windows 98 startup screen and then it
hung.

Any advice appreciated.
1 answer Last reply
More about make disk bootable
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    There are three elements to make a USB flash drive bootable on a system:

    ** The host system must support booting from a USB flash drive.
    (Please check with your system manufacturer.)

    ** The USB flash drive must support booting in general.
    (Please check with your USB flash drive vendor.)

    ** The USB flash drive must contain boot/system files.
    Typically, vendors of USB flash drives that support bootability will
    provide you with a tool that will make the drive bootable.

    USB Flash Drive FAQ
    http://www.usbflashdrive.org/usbfd_faq.html

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Dave" wrote:

    | Hi,
    |
    | My laptop doesn't have a floppy drive but the BIOS supports booting directly
    | from a USB. I downloaded the HP program that supposedly formats a USB as
    | bootable. However, without a floppy drive I obviously cannot copy a boot
    | floppy onto the USB. Does anyone know how I can get the boot files onto my
    | USB so I can boot to a DOS prompt? I think I saw a disk image to do that
    | with but all it did was give me a Windows 98 startup screen and then it
    | hung.
    |
    | Any advice appreciated.

Floppy Disk USB Microsoft Windows XP