Vista 32x RAM Question

itotallybelieveyou

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007
I know any 32 bit operating system can only take up to 3GBs of RAM. I had Vista before with only 2GBs of RAM. It ran good enough. But I decided to go back to XP. But I want to upgrade 3GBs of RAM this time try again. Question is how much in exact numbers of RAM can a 32 bit system handle? 3.5?3.0? Or if anyone has more speicifics it would greatly apreicated.

SuicideSilence

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Well first off, any 32 bit OS can take register a TOTAL of 4gb of memory. That includes ALL memory. Bios chips, DDR2, sound card, i believe even video memory counts. thats why everyone who has a 32 bit OS and 4gb of ddr2 memory installed has differnt results, becouse there system has memory in different areas ie sound card and stuff

Im sorry i could explain things very well its kind of confusing but i hope this clears things up for you.

halcyon

Splendid
Suicide is right. There's no magical number we can prescribe you, however, many typical see ~3.2GB of RAM...you may see more or less depending what components you have and what memory addresses they're using.

OP - Unless you are running a Crossfire or SLI system, you should be OK at 3GB. It's going to become a little harder to pin down, though: Vista 32 SP1 will display the total installed RAM. This is a Display Change Only - Microsoft did not re~engineer the addressing capabilities of the OS.

dengamle

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2007
Microsoft doesn't need to re-engineer anything, if they wanted to support >4GB. The PAE kernel is already present in the system, they just crippled it, because they need it to support DEP.

sarwar_r87

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008
i am using amd x2 5600+; 2GB ram in dual channel, 512 MB 9600 and m using vista 32 sp1.
i was lookin towards updatin 2 4GB ram....but i wan dem 2 be in dual channel.
so if i install total of 4GB, wat amount will windows b abl 2 use.
if i install 3GB instead...will da rams remain in dual channel??

uguv

Distinguished

As some of the others said, you can't really be sure of the exact amount but it's usually .5-.8gb depending on your hardware. With the price of DDR2 800 RAM these days I think you're best off just going to 4GB and deal with the .5-.8gb you'll lose.

Let's see if I can tackle this one with a suitable response...

u cud git 2x512 if u wan dem 2 B dul channel, r jus go 2 4gb n don wury bout D lost ram.

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
It's not just windows and microsoft guys. x86 (32 bit) operating systems (including linux) as a whole can only address 4GB of physical memory, this does include video cards, there are alot of ways to tweak it but most tweaks won't change performance unless your messing with an MS Exchange server lol.

But it's really cheap for 2 x 2GB sticks of DDR2 800 that is definately the best way to go for sure.

killerb255

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006

Honestly, that's what I'd like to know as well.

XP and Vista x86 have the upper level limit dictated by hardware, but Server 2003 (all flavors) do not.

I've heard explanations about PAE, but XP, 2003, and Vista all support PAE.

Then again, I also heard that PAE was crippled in XP and Vista because of poor drivers and was only enabled because of DEP. This would make sense, since most server builds are built with tighter requirements (the HCL), and consumer PCs are not built with the HCL in mind at all.