Sign in with
Your question

How many of us here at one point in time used "Windows ME"

Last response: in Systems
February 3, 2008 9:18:00 AM

I was just barely exiting puberty and my mom installed Windows ME on the family computer over the vastly superior Windows98SE. When I tried to play warcraft it kept crashing...little did I know ME had its DOS neutered. I averaged 4 or more BSODs a day, and games were extremely unstable. A year later I got 2000 installed and never looked back, I still have nightmares of not being able to play warcraft II.

More about : point time windows

February 3, 2008 10:12:00 AM

bought a laptop with it on, for some odd reason the touch pad had less functionality (couldn't tap) and it had overheating issues. I thought it was just a bad laptop until i installed xubuntu over the top of it. Windows ME was a pretty horrible OS but it did the job i guess.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 3, 2008 10:28:16 AM

Yeah, used it for about 1 month then reloaded Windows 95, didn't upgrade again until Windows 98SE.
Related resources
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
February 3, 2008 10:48:32 AM

Yeah. I'm working overseas. Back at the turn of the century (I love saying that), I took my old PC (600 MHz PII Celeron, 256K RAM) home after I upgraded to 1GHz Athlon. Installed ME on it. I figured mey wife would have fewer problems with ME than SE.

She's not a particularly demanding user - primary use is internet and email. It had no problems keeping up with a 2.5 Mbit cable connection, and it ran without faults for three years.

What finally led to its retirement was that one of my sisters-in-law installed the FULL McAfee security suite. The poor thing took 6 minutes to boot to the desktop after that.
February 3, 2008 11:17:20 AM

Yea, used it for a while between 98 and xp. It worked fine for me, iirc, I really don't remember a lot of problems. I'd say the rumors of it's suckiness were greatly exaggerated, though I have no doubt there were some real problems for some users.

Every home/consumer MS OS before XP was crash prone BTW.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 3, 2008 11:28:06 AM

yeah ME was shocking, worked on a pc, pluged in a usb mouse and it game me the horid application error - close error, never worked again lol, useless crap.
February 3, 2008 11:36:41 AM

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! That's what I think of ME.....had to use it while trying to fix my grandpa's laptop. Man, it was actually more annoying and useless than Vista! ;)  I agree with previous poster, it's got to be the worst OS in M$ history.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 3, 2008 11:38:34 AM

Avenger_K said:
AAARRRGGGHHH!!! That's what I think of ME.....had to use it while trying to fix my grandpa's laptop. Man, it was actually more annoying and useless than Vista! ;)  I agree with previous poster, it's got to be the worst OS in M$ history.

i have no issues with vista, actually upgraded my home pc to vista without issues, and my work pc months ago and i must say it grows on me and i love it.
February 3, 2008 11:42:21 AM

Great story when ME came out through an offer from Microsoft you were able to order the upgrade version for like $60 and it was to be delivered to you on the day it came out. I had a PO Box and it did not arrive on it's debut day.
So I called MS the next day, telling them I didn't get my ME upgrade, I was overnighted a copy and reimbursed for the order. I received the first one a week later. I ended up with 2 copies of ME upgrade for free.
It wasn't long before I bought an oem copy of MS Windows 98SE and killed off the ME install.
I still have one of the copies here in my office, in the box, never opened.
Back when I had Satellite internet and a 2 cpu computer I used NT4 and the W2K. After the cable company hung fiber across my back yard I went to XP Pro. After XP SP2 I stopped using W2K.
February 3, 2008 11:43:07 AM

apache_lives said:
i have no issues with vista, actually upgraded my home pc to vista without issues, and my work pc months ago and i must say it grows on me and i love it.

lol.....I know Vista really isn't ALL that bad, just that I'm not used to it and I can't stand the annoying "Do you really want to do ______?" box that keeps coming up. I've only used it on a couple of friend's computers so far, but soon I may get it for myself once I see how many new games are going to be Vista only........
February 3, 2008 11:55:56 AM

I installed Windows ME for a friend but never really used it. It must of had some major issues since it never really took off like Windows 98 or Xp.

There is also allot being said about Vista at the moment. But I'm running 64 Bit Vista Ultimate with no problems.

All my games work and SLi performance is way better than XP on my rig
a b B Homebuilt system
February 3, 2008 12:21:53 PM

I recall no notable issues with WinME, and do remember that it fixed some stability problems I was having in Win98 when I upgraded over it. I think my old Twinhead laptop had ME too, and it didn't give me any trouble there either.
Hopefully I'll be able to skip Vista for whatever comes next, but if not, that UAC will be the first to go...
February 3, 2008 12:22:31 PM

i know someone who was actually using ME as a primary OS up until 2005! absolute horror show!
February 3, 2008 12:25:02 PM

i did. i dont know why i did. but it was very brief till i changed it to 2000. well, now im using xp. :) 
February 3, 2008 12:49:18 PM

I'm going to be the odd man out here, but I had absolutely no issues with Windows ME. In fact, I had serious issues with an ASUS P5 something or other motherboard, with a K62-450 and the SCSI 2 card at the time. I needed the SCSI card because I had a SCSI 52x CD-ROM and two legacy 2.1 gig SCSI drives that a friend gave me for free.

Well, I'd tried everything to troubleshoot that system, and it was not stable. I decided to buy the special edition of Windows ME for Win98 (ie it would not upgrade Windows 95, you had to have 98). I did a clean install and had absolutely no problems with the build.

I could play Daggerfall with no issues. I played M&M 6, 7 and 8. I played HOMM, HOMM 2 and 3. All with absolutely no issues. I had no issues with Warcraft or Warcraft 2. I had no issues with MOO or MOO 2. XCOM UFO Defense and Terror From the Deep were fine.

I had absolutely no DOS issues at all, and that was our only PC back then. In fact, my wife hates the dual boot of XP and "Windows VE" that I installed on her new system last year and she's asked me to do a dual boot of Windows ME and XP. It seems that XP SP2 causes random issues with Morrowind that affects her modding more than her playing.

Well, we don't have diskette drives, but I found one in the closet. If I can get a few diskettes and a boot disk online, I'll get her a Windows ME install on an older P4. ME's badness depended on driver issues, and I guess we got lucky. I told her that newer motherboards, GPU's and whatnot probably wouldn't have any support in ME, but we have enough legacy stuff around that all I need to do is buy one of the last available AGP P4 boards at Newegg and we'll be in business for old stuff that neither XP nor Vista really likes.

Sure, I joke that Vista is Windows VE, but it's issues aren't related. Vista's issues are trying to implement server security on home PC's in as lamebrained a way as possible. ME just wasn't supported much because 98 was still around.

What my wife doesn't like about Vista is that she couldn't have a Vista install of Fate and an XP install of Fate on a dual boot, and it's tied to Microsoft's insistence that games be saved in the documents folder instead of in the game folder. Plus, we all hate how Vista and XP PC's on our network don't like each other and the whole click on boxes again and again to run anything (Yes, I turned off the UAC or whatever). We had no networking problems with 3 XP PC's but since one dual boot Vista and one Vista standalone for DX10 games, forget about it!

In hindsight, I should have bought one copy of Vista 64 for my PC to play DX10 games. I should never have gotten 2 copies of 32 bit Vista. What a waste of money.
February 3, 2008 1:42:22 PM

I had ME when I got my first PC ever' I was 18 and I had no problems with it despite every one else in the world complaining about it.
February 3, 2008 1:45:02 PM

My experience with Win ME was when a friend bought a new Dell computer that had ME on it. It refused to start at first. Finally we got it to start, but it wouldn't load the hardware. After that, she called Dell. Dell said they were having a lot of failures from ME and they actually sent someone to look at the computer. He worked with it for 2 days, wrote up everything he did and then installed 98SE. The computer worked like a champ with 98SE on it.

When XP came out, one of the local stores started pricing the ME OS disks for $10 just to get rid of them. One of the employees said they finally threw them away because no one would buy one. Comparing Vista with ME doesn't make sense to me. Vista works, even if slowly. I personally never saw someone with a working ME OS. I don't doubt that some did work, only relate my personal experience.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 3, 2008 7:12:32 PM

Avenger_K said:
lol.....I know Vista really isn't ALL that bad, just that I'm not used to it and I can't stand the annoying "Do you really want to do ______?" box that keeps coming up. I've only used it on a couple of friend's computers so far, but soon I may get it for myself once I see how many new games are going to be Vista only........

i hate that too mate, i disabled UAC to get rid of it - i don't need Microsoft confirming my every action.
February 4, 2008 11:42:17 AM

I used Windows ME for at least 4 years and never had a single problem. It came installed on a Dell computer that I purchased and I played almost all of what were then the latest games with no problems to speak of.

I have recently turned to using 64-bit Vista and have yet to encounter any major glitches *knocks on wood* there either.
February 4, 2008 12:02:23 PM

I used it, for about three days.

The Windows 2000 beta builds worked better.

ME was a disaster of an OS.
February 4, 2008 12:15:38 PM

This thread puts me in rememberance of the time i tried to install pctools on an olivetti xp pc,had to replace the 2 bios chipz,but as far as me goes i would still be running it if i could run today's games and apps,,why,because of it's closeness to dos,you could run norton commander and use it's viewer to examine any file on the system in either hex or ascii did not need to load in more junk..and it had other benefits ,,but it did not support flies over 4g,,bye me,,now to watch the rise and fall of me2[vista]?
i often wonder if it is not a human rights issue for microshaft to be installing drm management in any os,,after all who appointed them to be cops and law enforcers ????
February 4, 2008 12:15:53 PM

I can honestly say I've never owned a ME system and the business I worked for immediately began promoting Windows 2000 Professional to HOME USERS. Sure, 2000 was a bit weak in the gaming department but man was it stable.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 4, 2008 12:24:49 PM

Yeah, I dumped Windows ME for Windows 2000 Professional also.
February 4, 2008 12:32:28 PM

it came with the first PC I bought for college...dimension 4100. Let's just say I installed XP the first day it came out and put the ME disc in the microwave and watched the fireworks.
February 4, 2008 1:01:17 PM

I used ME and I must be the only one here that didn't have so many problems. Although if I remember correctly I had a dual boot system back then with ME and W2k, only used ME for playing games that weren't supported under W2k.

warcraft II wasn't one of them.
February 4, 2008 1:13:44 PM

I agree that ME was the worst OS Microsoft ever produced. But one of the big reasons we lack of driver support. Which was a problem when Vista came out but driver issues are not as big a problem anymore. Sure there are some companies that do not have drivers for some of their older products but is due to two things: 1) wanting you to buy the newer version 2) they cannot justify the cost in R&D vs the installed base. I have been using Vista since before it was released. I did not start using it full time until about a week before the official release. I get software through my Technet account before the public. The drivers I needed for my hardware at the time didnot come out until a week before the official release. I agree that at first it was hard to find things because Microsoft always moves a few things around. (That frustrates me as well) I have had no security issues (viruses/spyware) on Vista as of yet.
February 4, 2008 1:27:04 PM

drumr1829 said:
Let's just say I installed XP the first day it came out and put the ME disc in the microwave and watched the fireworks.

I do that too! Is it eventually going to kill my microwave?
February 4, 2008 1:30:58 PM

rodney_ws said:

the bad programming code would seep into the microwave's timer and chunky soup will never be the same!

Someone should collect all the WinME discs and shoot them to space, preferably a black hole, don't want our sun to supernova early.
February 4, 2008 1:31:25 PM

I used Windows More Errors for about three weeks, then I went back to 98SE, ME was very prone to crashes.
February 4, 2008 1:31:33 PM

I had ME. Had no problems learning email, word, dialing onto internet...
February 4, 2008 1:32:16 PM

Bought it, never got around to installing it. Soon after I bought it the stories began to fly. It is is a box somewhere in my storage unit. Williing to sell it to anyone interested. hehehe!

Funny thing is I bought Windows Vista Ultimate. Looking at it right now. I have had it for about a year, but I haven't installed it yet either. I have done 2 builds since I acquired it but I may put in in my current build - a game machine Asus Maximus Formula SE with probably ATI 3870x2. I want to do a dual boot though as I have 5 copies of XP in use.
February 4, 2008 1:33:35 PM

rodney_ws said:

Eh, I heard as long as you stop it right after the fireworks stop it's ok.... Keep it going and it might start a fire. Altho I didnt care cause I used my roomates microwave and he was a little bitch
February 4, 2008 1:37:31 PM

Bought ME and installed it. After several hours of pure hell, I went back to Win98 until I was able to get 2K
February 4, 2008 1:38:01 PM

I've used it, but I've never installed it on one of my PC. What a joke that piece of crap release was. 98SE 4 life! lol
February 4, 2008 1:45:47 PM

Im apparently in the minority with yipsl and the few others.. I used ME for a few years and never had any problems with it. In fact it fixed the main problem I had with 98SE, in that I could never get the video out to work properly on my Trident 4mb video card. I used it until XP came out and I got a better PC that could actually run XP. I never understood why everyone always talked smack about ME. I had just gone to college at the time and was the first time I had access to high speed internet. I must have installed hundreds of bs programs and such and never had a problem related to the OS.
February 4, 2008 1:53:27 PM

Quote:
I was just barely exiting puberty and my mom installed Windows ME on the family computer over the vastly superior Windows98SE. When I tried to play warcraft it kept crashing...little did I know ME had its DOS neutered. I averaged 4 or more BSODs a day, and games were extremely unstable. A year later I got 2000 installed and never looked back, I still have nightmares of not being able to play warcraft II.
Wow, it's creepy how similar that is to my story. It's almost like we're twins, except I'm younger and more attractive. :D  j/k Anyways, I had lots of trouble w/ ME.

February 4, 2008 2:04:07 PM

I am a rare and few person who actually never had real issues with ME. It did lock up a lot, but when I went to play a game it always played.... But, I still hated it from 98, but hated 2000 more. I do not know why, I just never liked Windows 2000 until just recently. I jumped to XP as soon as I could from ME.

I now use Vista and love it.
February 4, 2008 2:31:21 PM

Only to transfer the files off of my girlfriend's old computer (about 1/2 day, about 30 minutes of which was waiting for the damn thing to finish booting - SERIOUSLY) so I could load it up with XP Pro. It's been running fine ever since, and make for a pretty decent HTPC for non-HD content (Athlon XP 2400+, FX5200, 1GB).
February 4, 2008 2:47:31 PM

TrentB said:
I agree that ME was the worst OS Microsoft ever produced.

Although it wasn't exactly an Operating System, the worst pice of junk I saw that M$ produced was Microsoft Bob, back in the Win 2.1 days. That piece of blank totally wiped out the functunality of the computer and was all but impossible to uninstall. Most people ended up just re-formating the hard drive.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 4, 2008 3:09:40 PM

rodney_ws said:
I can honestly say I've never owned a ME system and the business I worked for immediately began promoting Windows 2000 Professional to HOME USERS. Sure, 2000 was a bit weak in the gaming department but man was it stable.

I used Windows 2000 Professional for 5 years, not a blue screen in sight :love: 
a b B Homebuilt system
February 4, 2008 3:11:39 PM

sailer said:
Although it wasn't exactly an Operating System, the worst pice of junk I saw that M$ produced was Microsoft Bob, back in the Win 2.1 days. That piece of blank totally wiped out the functunality of the computer and was all but impossible to uninstall. Most people ended up just re-formating the hard drive.

What was Microsoft Bob supposed to do? I must admit my first Windows was 3.0, I wasn't around for Bob.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 4, 2008 3:29:20 PM

I used ME when it first came out until XP was released. It worked fine and seemed to handle multimedia better than 98. HOWEVER, I helped a friend build a system and we put ME on it and the thing never worked right. I actually re-installed ME so many times on my friend's system that I had his ME product key MEMORIZED.

I still have my ME install disc. I was forced to keep it around because my WinXP upgrade disc needed it for installation. :fou:  I'm on Vista now and I don't see any parallels with ME that some people claim.
February 4, 2008 3:53:54 PM

yea, i remember the ME. every time i launched the media player, it turns into a horror of bsod. had it for a month, then went back to good ol' 98!

(i gave that ME cd to a children home somewhere, now i feel like a horrible person!)
a b B Homebuilt system
February 4, 2008 3:56:39 PM

tsf said:
yea, i remember the ME. every time i launched the media player, it turns into a horror of bsod. had it for a month, then went back to good ol' 98!

(i gave that ME cd to a children home somewhere, now i feel like a horrible person!)

[:mousemonkey:5] [:mousemonkey:5] Wow, that is horrible :lol: 
February 4, 2008 4:05:28 PM

Guilty...

and I'm surprised M$ hasn't had a class action lawsuit filed against them yet for ripping off so many people, having knowingly released such rubbish...
February 4, 2008 4:05:35 PM

tsf said:

That's like spreading disease.

W00t 500 posts.
February 4, 2008 4:18:21 PM

Luckily I went straight to XP from 98SE
February 4, 2008 4:19:22 PM

sailer said:

Bob actually was from the Win 95 days (released for Win 3.1 and 95). I never used it, and I don't know anyone who did, but I would agree that Bob was the biggest flop MS has ever had. Windows ME, however, was the biggest POS MS has put out to date. I used it for about 3 hours on my first day of college; within minutes of plugging in the ethernet cable, ME crashed the entire network at Worcester Polytechnic Institute. After running my own diagnosis, and having WPI's IT department look over the system, it was determined that the problem wasn't with my hardware or my system settings - it was inherent in Windows ME. After that, WPI banned the OS from campus, and I went back to dual booting Red Hat and Win98SE.
February 4, 2008 4:38:32 PM

I've been using MS since 2.2 DOS, and ME ,to me, is hands down one of the worst OS's ever fosted on an unsuspecting public. It was SUPPOSED to bridge between 98SE and Win2K, and instead wound up being hopelessly worse than both.

ME is what you get when you let 'marketeers' program..

While Vista does have it's annoyances and shortcomings, it's still much, much better than ME.
February 4, 2008 4:39:10 PM

i used Windows Me for 1 week then i upgrade to Windows XP Pro.
!