Moving data between RAID 1 servers

silam

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
My father and I both have servers running WHS in our homes. He has some data I would like to transfer over when I am visiting him.

Is it possible for me to take my drive out, plug it in his and just copy over? If so, when I get back and put it back in my server, will the drives mirror everything correctly?

Finally, I'm assuming the drive I would want to take is the one that does not have the operating system installed. We both have a server with 2 drives, space for 4 total, and set in RAID 1 configuration.

Any advice or information on how I can pop my drive in and copy the data and take it home would be helpful!

MrLinux

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
What's wrong with using a USB drive to copy the data? it's certainly a LOT safer than arsing about with the drives and risking a mojor data loss.

antiacid

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
usb will take for freakin' ever ;)

if you move a single drive out of your array, you'll break it. If you move both drives, depending how it is done, it could be broken too. I'd suggest eSATA external hdd for large qty of data, or a simple ethernet link between both machines if you can move your server to his place.