Sign in with
Your question

8800GT with AC Accelero S1 Rev 2 heatsink

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 10, 2008 9:09:26 PM

Hi,

I've tried the Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 Revision 2 heatsink (with and without the Turbo Module) on two different 8800GT cards -- an EVGA 600 MHz 512MB and an XFX 640 MHz 512MB.

In both cases, while the GPUs reported that they were significantly cooler during load in games than when using the stock fan/heatsinks, I had glitches followed by screen freezes. Yet, when I put the stock fan/heatsinks back on, the cards worked perfectly again (though, of course, they ran lot hotter).

Has anyone else had similar trouble with this heatsink?

A few possibilities:

* While the stick-on RAM heatsinks from the kit are staying applied, maybe they're not getting heat off the RAM chips well due to the adhesive?

* These cards might panic when they detect that the stock fan isn't installed, despite lower temps. (Doesn't really explain glitches.)

* While Arctic Cooling's site says they tested the 8800GTs without the voltage regular heatsink (since it doesn't fit), maybe it really does need a heatsink there?

* Something about how I'm applying the heatsink is causing a short somewhere... or insert other favorite Byzantine failure cause.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
February 10, 2008 10:10:19 PM

Something about how I'm applying the heatsink is causing a short somewhere
February 10, 2008 10:26:18 PM

why would someone wanna change the stock cooling solution which blows hot air out of the back of your case to something that makes everything else around it hotter is beyond my comprehension.

something else on your video card got hotter.

hey. kpo6969 - don't you think such thing as a "short somewhere" would have more visible consequences than a simple glitch?
Related resources
February 11, 2008 12:48:59 AM

ZozZoz said:
why would someone wanna change the stock cooling solution which blows hot air out of the back of your case to something that makes everything else around it hotter is beyond my comprehension.

sigh.

It's a shame. When I do use the S1, the GPU is a good 20C cooler and my case has enough other out-flow that the CPU and motherboard don't look like they get much hotter.
February 11, 2008 4:26:52 AM

ZozZoz said:

hey. kpo6969 - don't you think such thing as a "short somewhere" would have more visible consequences than a simple glitch?

No idea, so how was your post useful?
BTW
The card in question is an 8800GT which is single-slot. Re-read the OP.
February 11, 2008 4:40:16 AM

The 8800GT blows air back into the case, but not a lot because it's cooler sucks lol.

Accelero FTW I guess?
February 12, 2008 2:28:47 PM

Well, In my case it's a little different, I'm using an accelero S2 on my 8800GT. I've gotten the much lower temps part, but I did not get the random freezing part...I would try running ATItool's artifact scan with the Accelero on. It should also display your temps. But check GPU-Z to see your clocks as well. While running the artifact scan sit and watch for artifacts to pop-up. Sometimes they will show but it won't actually say an artifact appeared....It's all I can think of..
February 20, 2008 9:53:48 PM

Sorry to go off track but can you tell me where you found this cooler - every place I look is out of stock/back ordered.

Thanks

edit- please disregard I just found a place that claims to have them in stock.
!